Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking off a lightning strike...

Not sure of rules on posting links:

Reading up the presidential range as I am heading south for a climb there for labor day (September 5th). A man was hiking around mount washington and was apparently struck by lightning and with aid walked it off...

So this leads me to ask about your most scary/dangerous or injured hike? What did you do? How did you get out?

Wow!
    Count your blessings.
    Reminds me of this guy...
    https://youtu.be/OGR6Wk3Kboo

Comment

I never actually got struck , but walking to high school freshman year there was a high spot in front of the middle of the three buildings on our school campus. K-4 , 5-8, 9-12.
      I was glad it was just light rain instead of the snow and cold of winter / spring.
      Hair stood up on end ( late 70s semi - long hair) , bright flash , strange feeling / smell , second or so later the pressure of the air returning followed by the whoosh-boom of the thunder.
      Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Reminds me of Abby in high school. Or this:

Comment

Not nearly as dramatic. In 1985 (86?) I was starting on a circuit of Traveler Mt in Baxter Park. Crossing a stream bed, I stepped on one of those tricky, trapdoor rocks -- I fell so hard & fast I was on my back before I really realized what had happened. It was quickly obvious that something was very wrong (it turned out I'd broken a shoulder blade.) Luckily I hadn't started climbing or even gone that far, so had only a pretty flat 1.5 miles back to the South Branch Pond campground. Took a bunch of ibuprofen or tylenol or whatever I was carrying back then; devised a sling; had some water & a snack, and walked out. But it ended that hiking trip. And I've been more careful on stream crossings ever since...

Comment

wow glad he lived.

Comment

Originally posted by nickchevy View Post
              So this leads me to ask about your most scary/dangerous or injured hike? What did you do? How did you get out?
              Not sure if this qualifies, but during the summer of 2010, one of my sons and I did the Little Tupper Lake to Lowes Lake trek. We took our time and spent 4 nights doing it: 1st night on Rock Pond, 2nd night on Little Salmon Pond, 3rd night on Lake Lila, and the 4th on Bog Lake. After eating our dinner on the 2nd evening while at Little Salmon, i suddenly felt horribly washed out, shaky and weak. I didn't know what was going on, but it scared me (I don't remember having chest discomfort, but I may have) and I crawled into my hammock. After about an hour or so, I started feeling better, and so joined my son at the campfire. We completed the trek with no further issues.

About 3 years ago, I was to have some minor surgery. Well, to make a long story short, the doc wouldn't do it after getting the pre-op results, and I ended up at a cardiologist, who determined that at some previous point in time, I had had a minor heart attack. A heart catherization showed that I have some arterial blockage that is being treated with medication.

Stunned at hearing that I have had a heart attack, I have racked my brain over and over as to when it may have occurred, and the only conclusion I can come to is that it may have been that evening at Little Salmon Pond. If it indeed was, all I can do is thank the good Lord that it wasn't major, as it would have put my son in a very difficult situation, with the potential result that I may not be here posting this!

Has all of this curtailed my enjoying the Adirondacks? No...although now I carefully weigh the wisdom of any outing/adventure I am considering.
              "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
              My pictures:
              https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Working...
              X