New to deep woods hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to deep woods hunting

If your deep woods hunting what is the easiest way to pack out your deer/ bear

I use an ATV when outside of the Blue Line, I have pulled 12 deer out with it. Perhaps a deer buggy and a helper would be appropriate for deep woods taken deer,
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Deer cart or quarter & carry.
      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Can you bone it and pack out the meat?

Comment

Originally posted by Stew0576 View Post
          Absolutely. Why more guys in the adks don't do it is strange. Get a good frame pack, quarter, and pack out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stew0576 View Post
            Good question, but I think not.
            The meat gives no evidence of the sex of the animal, you may be accused of taking an illegal animal.
            Jim

Comment

Why couldn't you pack out the antlers with the meat? Wouldn't that be good evidence of buck vs doe?

Comment

Originally posted by forgedin78 View Post
                Why couldn't you pack out the antlers with the meat? Wouldn't that be good evidence of buck vs doe?
                Methinks testicles would do the trick?
                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Take a picture, lol, I see your point, if I get time I will call Dec and ask

Comment

If you quarter in the woods, I think you have to leave evidence of sex. Antlers are not sufficient, I know of 2 does with antlers taken by hunters, in my area . One had a small 8 pt rack.

Comment

Not a hunter, but assuming you're doing the Right Thing, what are the odds that a) you'll run into a ranger, b) he won't believe you, and c) what's the penalty?
                      http://edthesmokebeard.com/

Comment

I see your point about antlers not being proof of sex, because I have seen does with antlers too. However I was told that does with antlers, (obviously of legal length) must be tagged with a buck tag anyway. So by that logic, the antlers are what matters to the dec for proof of sex.

Comment

Anyone could carry a skull cap with antlers into the woods, shoot an illegal antlerless deer and say the antlers were from that deer. So I would not count on the DEC being OK with antlers the only proof of sex.
                          Much harder for the DEC a to argue sex of a deer if a hunter had antlers, and a hind quarter having a penis, scrotum , and testicles attached.

Comment

Aside from Jim's point which is certainly valid, what's the difference carrying out quarters or dragging a whole deer minus the gut sack? Not much in the area of weight. Besides, leaving two quarters behind is inviting Mr. Scavenger let alone Mr. Bear who didn't get the message to hibernate. If it's snowmobile weather you're okay. If it's a warm autumn day, you' better be in shape or have a buddy with a walkie talkie close by.
                            Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Jim the odds are pretty good in a lot of areas, penalty is they take the animal, they revoke your license for multiple years, take your gun, and give you a ticket

Comment

Working...
                              X