Pine Marten-southern Adirondacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine Marten-southern Adirondacks

Most sightings and photos seem to come from the High Peaks region on mountain summit trails or at leantos with food the attractant? In the southern Adirondacks, have never seen reports. Do populations exist in Warren, Saratoga, Fulton, or Southern Hamilton County?

Title should have been American marten, not pine marten
    Last edited by Grey-Jay; 03-07-2019, 08:10 PM.

I know you can't see much from this photo but if you zoom in you'll see either a marten or fisher. It was taken last year in Fulton County (date is wrong on the camera).

[IMG][/IMG]
    Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

I baited this Marten into the cameras on the southern end of Indian Lake, Hamilton County:

Video: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...CLyg-OP-gpC3cw

My YouTube channel

Comment

Herkimer county , SW Adirondacks a few years ago. (2010)
        They still get spotted occasionally , also,
        my neighbor saw a fisher this winter.

Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Have see them just north of the Warren County Line in South Schroon.
          'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Have seen two in the Lake George WF, one at Fishbrook Pond, the other toward Shelving Rock Mt.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I very clearly saw a fisher cross Fox Hill Rd near Archer Vly (Saratoga Country). It was winter and there was a lot of snow on the ground, but the road was plowed. It stopped right in the middle of the road and looked at my car. It had a little critter in its mouth. I stopped my car and watched it. No camera. It stayed maybe 20-30 seconds before it dashed off into the woods with its meal. Made my whole day. I can't speak for the critter in its mouth though.

Comment

Not sure about pine marten, but I have had quite a few friends lose chickens to fishers in Saratoga County. Pretty sure these folks had permits from DEC to dispatch the fishers when needed as they had destruction of property issues with them in the past. However, I only personally saw a fisher caught/killed one time throughout the years.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the Pine Martin was first reintroduced back in the 70's in the High Peaks area.
                  I saw several in the Indian Pass Brook area while deer hunting.
                  Cute little buggers! Very tame at that time. I even had one in my tent!
                  They prey mainly on red squirrels, so I've read.
                  There is a an abundance of them (squirrels) in the spruce growth in that area.
                  Fishers just love snowshoe rabbits. There has been a controlled trapping season for them for quite a few years.
                  Jim

Comment

There are some pine Martin all through fulton county even extreme southern fulton county. Fisher are even more widespread, been seeing more and more of their sign even here in Montgomery county(south of fulton). 20 years ago, a Fisher track was rare here, now its very common

Comment

I've seen both pine Martin and fisher in Morehouse. The pine Martin had two youngsters chasing each other. It was pretty awesome to watch them.

Comment

Pine Marten are thriving in northern NY, there are many in northern Herkimer County. Last fall when I contacted Region 6 biologists to acquire my Fisher trapping permit and tags, he told me that there had been a confirmed sighting of a Marten in Oneida County near Rome, NY. He also stated that they are now inhabiting Tug Hill.

Also, since the DEC monitors the trapping harvest, (trappers are only allowed 6 per season), their harvest stats show that marten population
                        is stable and expanding.

Comment

Saw a couple of pine marten chasing each other when hiking up Buck Mtn near lake george a couple of years ago.

Comment

American marten

Only now have I learned that the title of my post was in error. The proper name of the marten in our region is the American marten. Pine marten refers to the marten native to Europe.

Comment

I saw a Marten this year on Cascade but wasn't fast enough for a picture. Thanks for yours.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X