X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting in my bow stand getting soaked.
    Two Beavers

Comment

Did anyone head out for muzzle loader this weekend? 5 of us are heading up to our camp in Long lake on Thursday. Can’t wait. Anyone else heading up for the opener?

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard1100 View Post
        Did anyone head out for muzzle loader this weekend? 5 of us are heading up to our camp in Long lake on Thursday. Can’t wait. Anyone else heading up for the opener?
        Nice weekend for hunting with the smokepole. I only saw one deer, but heard a lot of shooting. We're concerned that too many does are being taken in our area. Every year it seems a lot of guys that don't hunt here during the rifle season come in during muzzleloading to meat hunt.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I agree Buckladd, the does can't get any relief between Muzzleloader season, coyotes and the long hard winters. They passed a law for the region six DMU's that border region 5 a few years ago. Now only bucks are permitted in ML season. I gave my input that the adjoining region 5 units should also be make ML bucks only. Deer numbers are dependent on the mature breeding does which is what are taken out. Hopefully this issue will be raised again and soon. Maybe you can help with your writing platforms?

Comment

I hunted the opener of muzzleloader. I saw four does; three were within 35 yards. I let them pass. I'm heading up again later this week before the rifle opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
              Nice weekend for hunting with the smokepole. I only saw one deer, but heard a lot of shooting. We're concerned that too many does are being taken in our area. Every year it seems a lot of guys that don't hunt here during the rifle season come in during muzzleloading to meat hunt.
              I agree. They take an unnecessary pounding up there in a region with already low deer numbers.

Comment

Eastside of LG has plenty of does and fawns.....just ask anyone that lives on the Pilot Knob road...and drives on it...oh not to mention flower gardens...gone....In talking to the hunters on the Eastside most of the sign was down low and no acorns up high...just saying ..have a safe opening weekend and season.....enjoy

Comment

The problem with doe shooting is that it can't be micro-managed. Like DCP says, in Pilot Knob, where there is plenty of public land too, there are lots of deer and they cause problems. Same for where I live, which is where I'll shoot a doe.

However, in the Hogtown area, or any other place away from human population, it's a different story and there has been more doe shooting in that area in recent years than many are comfortable with. Even a camp up there that used to be pretty liberal about it is getting concerned.

Back in 2012 part of DEC's management plan was a doe permit proposal for the NZ archery and muzzleloading seasons. I personally liked that idea, but it got a lot of criticism and was scrapped.
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

What is really interesting is the number of hikers using the Buck Mt trail and never see the hunter that they walk right by....an ADK drive...I have been on Buck when 4 does and I watched a family of 4 walk by and they never saw us....but what I missed was the buck that was bedded down behind the 4 does...that is why they call it hunting...again enjoy your season and be safe..Dan, we hunt the same Mt but different sides..and sometimes I am with iron sights....

Comment

Originally posted by dpc34 View Post
                      What is really interesting is the number of hikers using the Buck Mt trail and never see the hunter that they walk right by....an ADK drive...I have been on Buck when 4 does and I watched a family of 4 walk by and they never saw us....but what I missed was the buck that was bedded down behind the 4 does...that is why they call it hunting...again enjoy your season and be safe..Dan, we hunt the same Mt but different sides..and sometimes I am with iron sights....
                      One time a few years back my cousin and I were making a drive on the "Mountain" and we agreed to check in with each other when we reached the state trail before continuing on. When I got to the trail there were two gals and a dog there, and I chatted with them for a bit before radioing my cousin. When I did, he said "Hey, there's two hot blondes coming your way." They were standing right there listening. I was embarrassed, they were flattered! True story!
                      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

All stories are true regarding hunting and fishing....just saying

Comment

Originally posted by dpc34 View Post
                          All stories are true regarding hunting and fishing....just saying
                          At least the one's that actually involve deer!

How was everyone's opening weekend? I was out of town. Our group hunted in Warren County, saw lots of does and some buck sign but no bucks. I was in Cortland for a meeting. Went turkey hunting with some guys and we jumped what is likely the biggest buck I'll see this year. A real beauty!
                          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I missed a small 4 on the run after bushwhacking a 1000' of elevation in God forsaken ledge and swamp holes! It's my drug of choice!
                            Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Just got back after 4 days in our long lake camp. Only does and very little buck sign. Found 1 small rub and few scrapes. I did have a giant bull moose come under my stand at 10 yards which was pretty cool. The real kicker was seeing a nice buck bedded on a knob over looking a meadow on the drive out. Naturally off the property on another camps lease......

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard1100 View Post
                                Just got back after 4 days in our long lake camp. Only does and very little buck sign. Found 1 small rub and few scrapes. I did have a giant bull moose come under my stand at 10 yards which was pretty cool. The real kicker was seeing a nice buck bedded on a knob over looking a meadow on the drive out. Naturally off the property on another camps lease......
                                Having any moose walk under ones stand would be cool but a big bull...that's super cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X