Feral hogs in Upstate NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
    Interesting article. Kind of strange though, coyote hunting is allowed though its a fact the more hunting pressure they get the larger the litters they have.
    I realize a hog can do more damage, especially on animals and crops the coyote would not.
    I didn't realize 'Preserve Hunting' wouldn't be/isn't allowed.
    I think that the statement that by reducing the coyote population, that the litters will be larger is questionable.

More than half of the coyotes I trap or shoot are female, so if you eliminate a large segment of the females, there are less females to have litters. They will not produce large litters if they are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
      I think that the statement that by reducing the coyote population, that the litters will be larger is questionable.

More than half of the coyotes I trap or shoot are female, so if you eliminate a large segment of the females, there are less females to have litters. They will not produce large litters if they are dead.
      Its a proven fact.
      Eliminate a female the next one has more pups, that's why they never get elimimated and just spread...They respond to pressure, but
      No sense in debating it, read some of the newest books on them...and regardless I don't like them much and am glad you trap which I have no problem with.
      Last edited by Woodly; 02-12-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Vernon, Utah (AP) – Bill Keebler knows coyotes. He can follow their tracks, even in deer trails, and he knows their scat and wily ways. And for a price, he’ll help you kill one. “They can hear a mouse squeak at 300 yards. And they can see you blink from 100 yards,” the 52-year-old Tooele […]

Comment

Good link

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
            Good link

Didn’t read any proof in that article ?? I’m going by what I see on the ground, not what some so called expert writes in a newspaper, or state biologists that can not tell the difference between a squirrel and a Marten track.

After trapping and hunting many coyotes in my area for several years, I have a tough time finding any now. What proves it to me is, when I had a large coyote population I had few if any fox. Now I catch more red and grey fox than I do coyotes.

Comment

Yes, many more fox and fewer coyotes around here too

Comment

I have a friend from the Hill who used to say that all dogs and cats running free, and Coyotes, on the Hill had the same name, Spot..... Spot on the scope! He said he was fond of reaching out and touching them with…. a .270!

Comment

I agree with Tug, eyeball tests, reverse population trends (more fox), tracks and trail cameras tell the story. While we've got coyotes around in my area I believe the increase in hunting pressure has resulted in a localized downward trend in the population, for now.

That article is from 2011and I believe there was a study concluded in the 2010s which supported that theory. Since then, predator hunting has gotten increasingly popular, and effective. It has to have a result.

Still, getting rid of coyotes and staying rid of them are two different things. They will come back if a food source is available, and thus hunters have to keep the pressure on them.
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Dan, I have heard many stories of how Hogtown got its name...any thoughts

Comment

Working...
                    X