Ice out yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
    Buckladd are there any good sources that I can check on stream temps?

Thanks for the info folks
    That's a good question. I focus mainly on Lake George and there are some local resources:

With that I'd suggest researching by lake. I know there is some Hudson River data out there too. It might not tie in perfectly, it could keep you in the ballpark.

I remember my Dad's buddy dip-netting in Shelving Rock (which is now illegal) when I was a kid. The guys that did that caught everything: mice, snakes, turtles.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

LG water temp

As of Sat at the boat launch....34 degrees..some fishing around Pilot Knob with no action....that's cold water...stay safe....

Comment

Pics from last Sat 3/28. In the spirit of social distancing (including getting away from the wife), did a little C&R Perch fishing for a couple hrs (didn't have time to clean fish due to obligations). Caught 16 and one 25" Pike. The edges were punky on the east and north shores. Had good ice to access the lake on the south side. Had 3-4' white ice over 4-6" clear ice. This is a 400 acre lake with a couple small streams that feed and drain it. Think its going to be a while before smaller high elevation lakes thaw.
        Attached Files

Comment

Tiogaguy, how far north is this lake?

Comment

Here is the Mirror Lake live webcam in Lake Placid... still a ways to go yet. Shore ice is going out quickly on Raquette Lake cam.
            Help us protect Mirror Lake! Donate at https://www.ausableriver.org/give/donateThe webcam powering this livestream is being used to record and archive high r...

Comment

Visited a pond in the Lake George region today. Elevation 1,500 feet. Still has ice.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Loon Lake. I spudded as I went, and drilled some test holes. It was good experience to learn the ice characteristics for this particular lake. I think Meacham, Chazy, Clear, and maybe Kiwassa might be OK. Just watch the shore ice. The south and west shorelines should have the best ice. Most likely, any lake on the Saranac, Raquette, or Chateauguay rivers would be out of the question.

Comment

I checked 5 ponds by truck yesterday (drive bys) in the Tupper Lake vicinity and the ice was completely out of 3 of the ponds and the other two will be out in the next day or two at the most if the weather holds. That being said, the lake my home is on is still locked up pretty good, though the sun darkened the ice somewhat yesterday.

Comment

I hiked into a pond in the Pharoah region this morning and it was about 3/4 open. The portion that was covered was just a thin slushy layer. Game on!

Comment

Yesterday in the west central region approx 1950’ in elevation...

Comment

Interesting that Chapel Pond (at about 1600') is still iced over as of yesterday. I wouldn't walk on it, but it's ice all over. But it gets no sun, with Round Mountain hanging over it.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
                          Interesting that Chapel Pond (at about 1600') is still iced over as of yesterday. I wouldn't walk on it, but it's ice all over. But it gets no sun, with Round Mountain hanging over it.
                          Yeah weird, this is approximately 1080’ in the Pharaoh region Wednesday 4/1...

Comment

Getting there. Oxbow Inn cam shows that end of the lake open, and COTW cam shows Lake Pleasant just about to clear.

Won't be long now...

Comment

Originally posted by 2505 View Post
                              Getting there. Oxbow Inn cam shows that end of the lake open, and COTW cam shows Lake Pleasant just about to clear.

Won't be long now...
                              Update: Lake Pleasant clear now

Comment

some of the trout ponds in saranac lake area are fishable as of two days ago. Others still had some ice cover and this damn cold and snow isnt helping. More to open if not already open from this wind we have had.

Comment

Working...
                                X