No announcement yet.

black flies 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I climbed First, Second, and Third Brother Mountains near Brant Lake on Sunday. The Black Flies were swarming and biting.

Comment

The black flies remained moderately aggressive, biters and non for the past week. Then this morning (27May), stepping out onto my driveway I was attacked by mosquitoes like almost ever before.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

So next week's weather report says lows in 30's and highs in 50's for Keene. From what I am reading that won't really slow the little buggers down? And does elevation help, looking at Big Slide and was thinking a quick climb up the brothers and find a spot below 3500' to string up hammocks overnight.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Anyone been to Little Tupper recently? If so, how was the black fly situation?

Comment

Black Flies are out and biting in Wilmington/Black Brook

Comment

Keene and North Hudson lately it's been mostly mosquitoes. Last few days there were not many black flies, and thankfully no deer flies (yet).

Comment

Those little humming birds have been out in Newcomb...and very blood thirsty...

Comment

I paddled the Follensby Clear Pond loop today, just for fun, 50 degrees and 10mph wind. I had one lonesome mosquito buzz me while I was eating lunch on one of the carries. She shall buzz around anyone no more.
                  "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                    I paddled the Follensby Clear Pond loop today, just for fun, 50 degrees and 10mph wind. I had one lonesome mosquito buzz me while I was eating lunch on one of the carries. She shall buzz around anyone no more.
                    That's a great loop.

If you have a mountain bike, you can (legally) ride all around the interior of that paddle. It's mostly an easy ride except for a couple spots that most will want/need to walk.

Having paddled those ponds extensively I enjoyed the alternative perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                      That's a great loop.

If you have a mountain bike, you can (legally) ride all around the interior of that paddle. It's mostly an easy ride except for a couple spots that most will want/need to walk.
                      I may try that sometime. There is a very rough board bridge on the NWest side of Horseshoe from LPW that looks more like it better belongs on a roller coaster. Needs a lot of work. I looked for a canoe carry on the south end of HS to join the mapped trail there back to Follensby. It apparently does not exist in any obvious sense. I went there today because I am scheduled to guide a beginners group there in a few weeks (maybe) and they need to practice some carries along with navigation.

Comment

Actually, the DEC map doesn't show the Horseshoe Pond Trail as being a bike trail. I didn't ride that myself, so I can't confirm.

I rode the Little Square Pond Trail and Otter Hollow Trail it looks like - there was only one bridge that I recall, and that was the one on the entrance to Fish Creek.

I started in the campground and although the DEC map doesn't show it, you can connect to the trails via the campground roads. I'd probably start at Middle Pond and do a lollipop loop if I wasn't staying at the campground.

Comment

No Black Flies on Hurricane Mountain on Monday. It might have had something to do with the snow squalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                            I may try that sometime. There is a very rough board bridge on the NWest side of Horseshoe from LPW that looks more like it better belongs on a roller coaster. Needs a lot of work. I looked for a canoe carry on the south end of HS to join the mapped trail there back to Follensby. It apparently does not exist in any obvious sense. I went there today because I am scheduled to guide a beginners group there in a few weeks (maybe) and they need to practice some carries along with navigation.
                            I did this a couple years back. I don't recall for sure, but I think you're right about it not being totally obvious. I want to say I got out at the campsite on a little cove near the southeast end. If you walk around the site, there'll be evidence of a carry, though I'd call it half carry, half bushwack. In any case, it's a short jaunt and not bad at all... At least it wasn't two years back.

Comment

Pretty bad in the st. regis canoe area this weekend at times. I got chewed up good on Friday. Saturday and sunday weren't bad with the rain and cooling temps.

Comment

No black flies at all on Gothics yesterday. Quite surprising for a nice early June day.

Comment

Working...
                                X