No announcement yet.

bed in a box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd seriously take the time to check out the van options. I think in the long run it will be less costly and more effective. Outfitting it can be done in steps if it's well planned i.e. strip it and insulate it first, then install heat and electricity, and then work on storage and bedding. At first you can just sleep on the floor or hang a hammock inside.

Because this has become such a "thing", it's driven the longevity of much of these vehicles i.e. you can find parts still and keep them going for a quite a while. Also people seem to like to upgrade as budget allows, so perhaps finding someone else's "starter" van may be the ticket to your path to the perfect adventure vehicle.

I'd suggest really making some spreadsheets and exhausting all options. Trailers kinda suck for a number of reasons. The pop up tent tops look a little better to me, if you are camping only in the summer or in the desert. For our climate a van with solar electricity and a propane heater would be ideal.

Comment

I sold RVs for a number of years...take into consideration of total $ you have spent and are going to spend vs the actual # of days it will be used...bottom line you are better off in a motel or B&B or someplace where you can put your head down and have a nice hot shower and maybe a meal...Also think about your tow car or truck that you might use...many new cars are not really good tow vehicles...that is why the truck market is so strong....good luck...been there done that....

Comment

Originally posted by dpc34 View Post
        I sold RVs for a number of years...take into consideration of total $ you have spent and are going to spend vs the actual # of days it will be used...bottom line you are better off in a motel or B&B or someplace where you can put your head down and have a nice hot shower and maybe a meal...
        This is EXACTLY why I never invested in one, or a second property. Even going most weekends during the winter and using hotels I never spent as much a year as I would paying on a RV. Spring through Fall camping is abundant, and often the main focus of the outing.

For me, the thought of an Adventure vehicle would be for when I had more free time - retirement? Then it would easily become economical if taking month long trips to Sedona and Moab during mud and bug seasons.

Comment

Also think about your tow car or truck that you might use...many new cars are not really good tow vehicles...that is why the truck market is so strong....good luck...been there done that....
          I was down that road, and again, it really depends on how much you are going to tow.

I was in a situation where I wasn't towing much more than a ton and I had both a V6 SUV and a V8 pickup. The V6 SUV was actually much better. It got better gas mileage both towing and not, it was much less expensive and it had a lot more features than the truck, and was more comfortable. As long as the vehicle has enough power and can be appropriately outfitted with a hitch frame that can carry your load, you're good. If you have to deal with a lot of hilly terrain, then you may want to overcompensate a little, but with 6 speed transmission most modern V6 will do well with a mid-sized load.

Trucks are better if you really need to get into the upper range of their load capacity, IMO... or perhaps if you are towing ALL THE TIME and in difficult terrain.

Comment

I sold RVs for a number of years...take into consideration of total $ you have spent and are going to spend vs the actual # of days it will be used...bottom line you are better off in a motel or B&B or someplace where you can put your head down and have a nice hot shower and maybe a meal...Also think about your tow car or truck that you might use...many new cars are not really good tow vehicles...that is why the truck market is so strong....good luck...been there done that....
            I completely agree with this. I know many people that own massive RVs but won't take them further than 3 hours. They also have difficulty finding sites in a lot of campgrounds due to the limited sites for long length trailers, so they end up going to lesser parks. I've joined them a couple times and really wouldn't want to go to these places if they were free. All this to camp maybe 3 weeks a year.

When you factor the annual depreciation, the extra gas to tow to the campground, the campground fees, having to pay for gas when driving the massive tow vehicle year round, maintenance costs, etc, they don't make sense to own.

I think you could justify the costs for a small teardrop though. I also think the numbers get a lot better for retirees camping near full-time.

Comment

Does Piseco/Pawley Rd shut down for the winter ? Reason I'm asking , I own 45 acres 1/4 mile away from it in Stratford . I would tell you to pull up on the parking area but you'd most like have to shovel a bit of snow .

Comment

powley piseco rd is closed at the north end a 1/4 mile from rt 10. the south is usually closed at the brayhouse brook bridge, sometimes at the 1st bridge over the E. Canada. it becomes a snowmobile trail in winter...

Comment

Wow. Some great feedback.

bottom line you are better off in a motel or B&B or someplace where you can put your head down
                  Even if it fell out of the sky into my driveway free fuel usage would double or triple. So yes.

I would tell you to pull up on the parking area
                  Super generous, thank you!

massive RVs
                  Yes, I get this. I have a neighbor with a 27' trailer - not that massive. But he is already complaining about taking it to ADK's. I started the thread saying "small format rv" which to me means truck camper, teardrop trailer or camper van. Not considering anything that is not small enuogh to store discretely on my suburban property (neighbor pays for storage for his trailer too!) Yes yes, we pass a few trailer campgrounds on i87 and that is not our cup of tea.

justify the costs for a small teardrop though
                  So for tear drops I would look at something akin to a converted small cargo trailer or something like what Trail Marker sells. Something I can use as a cargo trailer. Earn its keep. This would also keep us in our v6 or v4 tow vehicle.

thought of an Adventure vehicle would be for when I had more free time
                  Ok, two thoughts here. Hotels are less attractive these days. And as a cost savings my employer has a currently optional plan where you can reduce salary AND work schedule. So I could be looking at two 3 day weekends a month before using vacation (and a slimmer paycheck). I'm at a point in my life where that does not sound all that bad.

Van options / Hang a hammock inside
                  Well - you guessed it. First step in a van camper version would be to put hammocks in it. Our preferred method of camping. Older commercial-grade van is what is drawing my attention. Daughter drives but does not have car. I lend her mine but having an extra vehicle would be cool. But as soon as I get close to $20k I start looking at the little bits and pieces of the ADK real estate you can grab for that.

Pop up
                  Off our list. We camp in winter. Yes, you can do that but it is not what they are made for. The exception being the aliner or other a frame pop ups.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

Re: Land.

Yeah you can find some plots of land, mostly in the western Adirondacks for around 20k. I don't know that I'd compare that to an adventure vehicle though.

I tend to think of it this way: Why would I buy land in the Adirondacks when, given the right equipment, I can camp pretty much anywhere in the park? The massive amount of public land and facilities are what make it appealing so why add privatization cost on to what you already pay for?

Some people buy land and tow a camper there seasonally (some deeds don't allow you to leave one year round as it is a "mobile home"). Then you invest in a camper AND land (which you also pay taxes on!). Or you invest and build a simple cabin, which is going to be at least another $20k onto you land costs. And then you are stuck in one area, AND you have to pay taxes.... The plus side of land is tends to appreciate or at least hold value - a vehicle will be a total loss at some point if you keep it, and if you sell, surely a loss.

Really depends on what your priorities are. If it's being around different areas of the park and having a "camping" experience, then a van is probably best. If it's having something long-term that you can improve over time, and perhaps retire to, then land is the way to go.

Also keep in mind with land that if you wanted to drive and camp on it during the winter, you'd probably also have to pay someone to plow it (unless you like a lot of shoveling). And probably have that person on speed dial when you get stuck in the spring.
                    Last edited by montcalm; 01-21-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I've owned my land in the park for 14 years now and often ask myself why . I don't have my 6 weeks off per year any longer but still make the 6 1/2 hour trek maybe 8 times per year . I have a 32 ft trailer on the premises , but want to build a leanto overlooking the river and possibly just a small cabin closer to the paved road . MY SO argue quite a bit as to the future . I want to keep it nice and simple , she wants a $500,000 cabin . My one tax bill is the first piece of mail I get each and every year btw , and it goes up every year . Still , I love the area , love the water , woods , peace and tranquility , and definately my " not so close neighbors " . One thing not enjoyable are those blood suckin black flies . We stay far away from May until July .

Comment

As far as cheap places to camp . I camped / slept in my Suburban for years up on the property . Easy , cheap , warm and dry . The dogs loved it also and I miss it . The trailer/camper we thought would make life easier , but it doesn't . Between the snow and the mice , it takes a beating . If you're looking to get up there and cruise and crash , Authors in Dolgeville will be opening back up this spring . New owners also own the Italian place down in Little Falls . Past owners used to charge me $20 a night to stay there upstairs . They had 6 or rooms and bathrooms . Best part was they have a cool bar and resteraunt also . On absolutely miserable nights , We'll ususally end up down in Little Falls at the bigger hotel . They like my Shelties and usually charge about $85 a night . Stayed over in Herkimer last Oct for a week and a double room was $403 . Not bad as my Mom and sister rode along . I will say that available land is available in the area . I would love to put in a few primitive campsites on the property just to help pay the taxes , but a mile up the road you can camp free on Piseco/Pawley .

Comment

I rent from a guy in the Fulton Chain who has never been back to any of the ponds for spring fishing because there is just so much work to do around the house. When I've been up to help him open up, we have gone out for an early hour or so of trolling on the big lake, all I hear in May and early June, from sunrise on, are power tools and hammers pounding, he's not the only one. I did similar math on cost to own versus a motel, and came to similar conclusions to the early commentators. But I still carry a dream of owning a little chunk of it. However, with some of the prices Ive seen lately, that will require a Powerball win!

Comment

After reading this through a few times I sort of have a good feeling for how I enjoy the ADKs now. Have decent equipment to let me enjoy back country or front country four seasons. Can see photos in Heilmans book or read stories like D's recent loop trek nd start dreaming/planning trips to new corners. Guess I did not know how good I have it. Thanks folks.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

That's a good attitude tenderfoot.

The park has been part of my life since I can remember - like 4 or 5. How it has been has changed over the years though, and even though I live in the same neck of the woods that you do, I've managed to have some great years of visiting.

I found for me there were a few things that really made my experience better:

1) A good canoe/kayak - I spent most of my youth tethered to land or motorized lakes and never really got the appeal of canoes. But once I got it, I got it! The Adirondacks are a large part water and a large part of the experience only comes from a boat. A non-motorized canoe can get you more places and anyplace.

2) Decent camping gear - both backcountry and front country, as you say. I've been perfectly happy to do trips where I stay a few nights at a DEC campground, and a few nights doing a backpack or canoe trip, and if I have time a few more nights at a DEC campground. I've spent weeks only staying at the campgrounds and doing daytrips and many days out in the backcountry.

3) Adequate skis and snowshoes - I can't think of anything better than skiing in the park. And although snowshoes are not my favorite, I do appreciate them for winter mountaineering. And although I'd usually take a ski tour over a peak-bag, I do enjoy both very much.

And with those things, I think pretty much everything else you need is there.

I also really enjoy cycling, and although that's not always my first choice in the Adirondacks, it's another part of the outdoor recreation that I really love.
                              Last edited by montcalm; 02-01-2021, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Vans Rule!

I'm late to this thread, but I will add my $.02

If you have a car, changing your vehicle to a full size van is a game changer--how you pack, how you travel, how you car camp. I went from a Honda Element, to a Ram Promaster van. Here are the advantages:

1. I store all seasonal outdoor equipment in the van. All I need to load for a trip (day trip->multi day) is some clothes, chuck box, cooler and overflow food. For instance, currently my van has wall tent, wood stove, pulk, mountain bike, snow shoes, XC skis, ski poles, bow saw, axe, splitting maul, sleeping bags, foam pads, gas lantern, extra white gas, one person tent and backpack ready to roll. (All inside he van, all protected from the weather).

2. Changing clothes at trailhead is simple and convenient. Get up from driver's seat, go to back of van and change. No need to go out of vehicle. You can change while parked in town, on a busy street.

3. Stop anywhere and take a nap in the back.

4. If you are car camping, you don't have to bother with a tent if you don't want to

5. If you are on a longer trip, the van gives you a 'safe haven', if the weather turns. You can somewhat live in a van vs. a car. I have a small table that I can sit at and do computer tasks.

Downsides:
                                1. Fuel Economy compared to car. All that space/vehicle weight comes a price.
                                2. Can' fit in parking garages
                                3. Parking is footprint is bigger than a car, but not larger than a full size pickup.
                                4. Vans are hot commodities these days, so prices are up.
                                5. A lot of van people go nuts with solar, battery banks, aux heat, water systems etc... depending on actual usage, these things may not be worth the cost. I think this depends on a person's background.... a backpacker knows how little you actually need and what is important... a non backpacker who hasn't camped probably thinks the van has to mimic the amenities of a house.

This is a good site that has forums on all matter of vehicle based camping:
                                https://expeditionportal.com/

Expedition Portal has forms for all kinds of things, trailers, van, medium duty trucks...etc.

Here is the beginnings of my van: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...urpose.170529/

JHL99
                                Last edited by jhl99; 02-02-2021, 06:12 AM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Working...
                                X