No announcement yet.

Hunting Deep Backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We went back up to camp last weekend to gather more firewood... Very strange foliage... Seems like the leaves are turning from green to yellow and down. In an 8 day period since camp setup, the leaves dropped quite a bit considering no frost and very little rain.. It's the wind that's dropping the leaves. Still no deep frost in the forecast for the next 10 days... It will be low 50's during the day with mid 30's at night... We left camp in shorts & t-shirts... Very warm...

Looks like it's gonna be a total wash out for early muzzle loader weekend...

Comment

Yeah, lots of rain this weekend. Keep the powder dry.

Heavy frost in the southern half looks to be at least 10-14 days away, if not longer.

I'm headed out west for Mulies the last week of the month with a Tikka as well.
      Last edited by Fly Rodder; 10-18-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Interesting black powder weekend for sure. Saturday was mostly wet, and way too warm. Today (Sunday) we saw a good buck but didn't get a crack at it. The gypsy moths have hit the area we hunted today pretty hard. Some acorns, but most are small and gone. Some bear scat too. But, it could be localized and there's much more to see/scout in the the early part of the regular season. Felt good to put a few miles on the legs.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

And now for the hunt...

Will be heading up to camp this Thursday for the open of rifle on Saturday... Plan to stay 5-6 days this trip and the temperatures look prime for hunting. Mid 40's during the day with mid to low 30's at night. Deep in the backcountry where we are it will most likely be colder... Thank you God...

Between now and Thanksgiving we anticipate spending 25 days or more at camp hunting... We do, however, come out a few times for a quick breather.

Best of luck to all you cowboys out there...

And remember... "It's not about the Kill, it's about the Adventure"...
          Bluesman

Comment

Although we didn't hang up a buck, we had a pretty good opening weekend. We did see two bucks but the brush surely helped prevent their demise. A lot of buck sign in one area, but the other was hit hard by gypsy moths and in some spots there's not even fresh fallen leaves on the ground, much less acorns. It looks ghost-like! They hit the oaks hard there. We'll be hitting a few other areas this coming weekend with good oak stands. Will be interesting to see how/if they produced. Right now we're just trying to find where the does are, because shortly they'll have some company.
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I hope the temps start to drop fast in the next few weeks or so….

Comment

Despite the rain, we had a pretty good weekend,
                Attached Files
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Wow. Nice bucks! Congratulations.

Comment

WoW!
                      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

2 Really nice racks.. Kudos to you and your crew...

We're heading back in Thursday for 11+ days... As of now, the weather looks prime for hunting but it changes so fast... Looking for that white powder.

Went up for 6 days last week for the opener... Saturday night it dropped down to 18 degrees, and in the morning the ground was white with a heavy frost. By Monday the rains came...

Put up a nice buck in the heavy pines down in the swamp but I had my rifle slung over my shoulder. By the time I got it up into firing position that buck was gone...long gone. Never saw it again. I stalked the area almost 2 hours without a trace of that deer... That buck doesn't know it but, "I'll be back"...

Bluesman...

Comment

Nice bucks. The uniform grey coat on that top one is pretty cool

Comment

Those are two magnificent looking bucks! Great work!
                            --------------------------------------------------------------
                            And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
                            In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
                            And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
                            But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
                            ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

Awesome deer, Buckladd. Congrats to you! Would love to hear the stories. Tree stands? Still hunting?
                              Hoping this coming weekend the combo of weather change and the rut get the bucks moving more than I’ve seen thus far.

Comment

nice pair from your side of the Mountain......great

Comment

Working...
                                X