Hickory in the park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
    I am heading into the park this weekend mehopes and now will keep an eye out for Hickory.
    Down here south of the blue line there has been a bumper crop of Hickory nuts.
    Enjoy. Might be hard to find the nuts if there's snow down. Should be soon...

I don't think we're at a bumper crop from what I can see, but there's certainly nuts down and not a single acorn to be found. The oaks are stingy this year.

The Victorian European Beech in town have had a huge mast this year. Not enough American Beech around these parts to say what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
      You find random pockets of trees in the weirdest places. As you gain more and more skill in tree ID, you'll start to notice more and more outliers all over.

There is a single, solitary jack pine growing in the marshes of Flowed Lands. I've often wondered just how it came to be growing there, ever since I first discovered it. In terms of climate, it's not necessarily a huge outlier... but in terms of soils, it's noticeably unusual. Jack pines usually prefer to grow in dry, well-drained areas... not so much the peaty muck of a bog.
      What I notice is there's A LOT of variation in trees, even within species. They'll grow wherever they can, even if not well.

Most of what I see regularly is post-ag or heavily human influenced. The Adirondacks seem much less this way, but it's not really the case. There's just much less post-ag and landscape plants.

I remember seeing some arborvitae on an island on Saranac Lake and thinking this must be human influence. I'm so used to seeing them as a landscape plant I never even considered that they were a native. In the wild the deer love them so they don't often live or if they do, have no lower branches. These were very full and bushy - of course there were likely no deer on the island. They could be from a landscaping as well, but the more I know, the more the possibilities come together.

Comment

No montcalm, not picking on you...I just really like seeing those giant white pines. And I can't argue about the red maples, especially in the fall or spring. People often overlook all the spring tree colors, but some woods are more brilliant in May than they are during October

Comment

Ha - OK. I didn't know if you were remembering how I said when I was younger I never paid much attention to hardwoods other than paper birch, which I was always impressed with when I went to north or eastern ADKs (even in stick season!).

I don't know if there's a place I prefer to sleep more than in stand of mature white pines. The soft cover of golden needles on the ground and narcotic smell makes me feel very peaceful.

Comment

Exactly. It's aromatherapy at its finest

Comment

I still contend balsam fir is the best smell in the world, but white pine is a close second.

There's a documentary I watched about forest aerosols but I don't recall the name, it was very informative though. There's all sorts of stuff being emitted by trees.

Comment

I have all kinds of hickory on my property in Fort Ann (yes, near the LGWF), especially right close to the house, which is in an old farm clearing of my great-grandfather's. They make excellent firewood but are rough on the chainsaw blade and take three years to dry. I have some ready to go this year, as I logged two years ago ad it has now dried three seasons. A friend of mine calls them butternut-hickory, but the logger and forester who worked on my property just called them plain old hickory.
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Bitternut hickory? They are a pretty common species of hickory in NYS

Comment

St. Regis beat me to it...

There are a few different hickories native to NY. It looks like out in that area you'd have at least Bitternut and Shag Bark, both of which look very different.

Again from what I can gather it seems like LG area up the west side of Champlain retains some of that Appalachian Oak-Hickory forest type.

NY is pretty much a crossroads for a lot of different forests though - in the west, near the lake we have some essence of midwestern forests, our south/central is a mostly a mix of northern hardwoods and Appalachian, and it the coldest, wettest parts i.e. Tug Hill and western ADK we get the hemi-boreal type. And of course all the other small, unique pockets like high elevation sub-Alpine and pine bush, etc...

Comment

East Side of LG has Hickory trees...nice population....enjoy

Comment

What is the typical leaf schedule in LG? I need to get up there in the fall.

I'm assuming due to the lower elevation and species you guys typically would peak in late October?

Our oaks take forever to change - there is a scarlet up the road that is full peak right now. Most our red and whites oaks were peak last week and maples and hickories about a week before that. I think this year is about a week late of typical though.
                        Last edited by montcalm; 11-16-2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Really hard on chain saw blades.

West side of the park, Jadwin State forest, plenty of hickory.

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                          I have all kinds of hickory on my property in Fort Ann (yes, near the LGWF), especially right close to the house, which is in an old farm clearing of my great-grandfather's. They make excellent firewood but are rough on the chainsaw blade and take three years to dry. I have some ready to go this year, as I logged two years ago ad it has now dried three seasons. A friend of mine calls them butternut-hickory, but the logger and forester who worked on my property just called them plain old hickory.

Comment

MDB and I bought 35 acres with our daughter and SIL going on 10 years ago...
                            They have many Shagbark Hickories on their side, millions of nuts, OK, not millions but its best to stay away when they mow under those trees.

Comment

In these parts people really seem to love Black Walnut. They grow well here and of course the wood is valuable.

As a landscape tree, not my favorite. They do provide good shade, but man when they produce a crop of nuts you're swimming in them.

I'll take some nice, boring native maples any day. Silvers aren't my favorite but I think I'd choose one over a black walnut for a yard tree. Sugar or red maples are pretty hard to beat in this area. Not many issues, beautiful and low fuss.

Comment

I forgot to ask SG, is the land in the park? I thought you said Colonie, but maybe I don't recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X