Ice out yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice out yet?

I will be in the Adirondacks next week and want to do some trout fishing. Please let me know if the ponds in the St. Regis area are still iced over. Thanks!

still frozen over solid

Comment

Is Tupper Lake still frozen?
      Thanks
      www.canoetripping.net

Comment

This is a great resource when you have a clear day to gauge ice out. You can move and zoom in on the map which is updated nightly. Black areas are open water... white areas are iced. Based on the April 2nd photo Tupper Lake is still frozen over as is much of the area:

The NASA Worldview app provides a satellite's perspective of the planet as it looks today and as it has in the past through daily satellite images. Worldview is part of NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System. EOSDIS makes the agency's large repository of data accessible and freely available to the public.
        My YouTube channel

Comment

Come up to Sebago Lake ( Maine) you can troll the Big Bay. Bioguide, any smelt trips this year?

Comment

Originally posted by GRGS View Post
            Come up to Sebago Lake ( Maine) you can troll the Big Bay. Bioguide, any smelt trips this year?
            Smelt yes, as soon as the ice goes out!
            My YouTube channel

Comment

I hope you do another smelt video, love watching them.

Comment

I just spoke with the ranger at Little Tupper Lake and it's still frozen over.
                www.canoetripping.net

Comment

Here is an interesting short article about ice out with some historical definitions and dates. I think the variation in ice out dates for lake placid shows some pretty amazing swings in the last 8 years. In 2012 it was March 26th and in 2014 it was May 2nd!!
                  To me this year feels like about April 20? I would have guessed much sooner back in February.
                  Read more hear, https://www.adirondackcouncil.org/pa...e-out-945.html

Comment

'Was just on Lake George on Monday. It was like glass. I was up north the day prior and ice was on every lake.
                    Attached Files
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Great pic. Catch anything?

Comment

Still have a while here in the Saranac Lake area

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhunter View Post
                          Here is an interesting short article about ice out with some historical definitions and dates. I think the variation in ice out dates for lake placid shows some pretty amazing swings in the last 8 years. In 2012 it was March 26th and in 2014 it was May 2nd!!
                          To me this year feels like about April 20? I would have guessed much sooner back in February.
                          Read more hear, https://www.adirondackcouncil.org/pa...e-out-945.html
                          That sounds about right. The first stage is to get rid of the snow cover. The recent heavy rain has helped but we're not there yet. After that there's enough solar energy transmission through the ice to start melting it from below. The warm weather next week will certainly help but I'm with you on April 20th as a good estimate. Some of the lower elevation ponds might clear a bit earlier.
                          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhunter View Post
                            Great pic. Catch anything?
                            'Noth-in
                            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

probably another month here in st regis area honestly. few days ago we measured 15-18 inches on colby....and have reports of up to 28 in some back woods ponds. granted it rained last few days but we still got snow and cold at night. Sunday and monday at about 70 deg will help but still have a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X