black flies 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black flies 2020

First of the season spotted today in the SW Adirondacks near Forestport/Woodgate. Typical of the first hatch none were biting, but swarmed around my car window and a few ventured inside while the window was open. Given the continued cool windy weather of recent weeks and heavy rain last night, I'm a little surprised at this early emergence date.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

It's been cold here in Keene; the snow just melted from the storm a couple days ago. No sign of any bugs yet up here.

We are trying to grab the dry days in this secret season to get out. Got some climbing to do in North Hudson; it will be bug hell in 3 weeks, we have to get what we can before that...

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
      First of the season spotted today in the SW Adirondacks near Forestport/Woodgate. Typical of the first hatch none were biting, but swarmed around my car window and a few ventured inside while the window was open. Given the continued cool windy weather of recent weeks and heavy rain last night, I'm a little surprised at this early emergence date.
      There are over 20 different species that have been collected and described in NYS each with varying emergence times. Not all feast on our flesh.

Here is some free, albiet slightly outdated, reading for those that may be interested.

My YouTube channel

Comment

Yes, I had long ago heard that there at least 20 distinct BF species, and I know that the first few of the season that hatch are not programmed to bother me for my blood. But they will still swarm in mass and make the uninitiated folk entering the woods very nervous. I saw a woman on a lawnmower today wearing a headnet and thought she must be one of those.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Great resource Bio!

I'm not sure what species they were, but the black flies were out and about in force in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest in southern Hamilton County. No biters, but plenty willing to fly up my nose and in my ears. Tredhed was even able to catch one with his mouth (he's so talented).
          Tick Magnet

Comment

Yes, I had long ago heard that there at least 20 distinct BF species, and I know that the first few of the season that hatch are not programmed to bother me for my blood. But they will still swarm in mass and make the uninitiated folk entering the woods very nervous. I saw a woman on a lawnmower today wearing a headnet and thought she must be one of those.
            I wore my headnet today when I was working in the yard. I got tired of picking them out of my eyes. They weren't biting though, just being a PITA.

Comment

They are out in the Champlain Valley, near Westport. Not 10 miles farther west in Elizabethtown.

Comment

Bugs are out in North Hudson by Crowfoot Pond but not biting.

Comment

Blackfies are out and biting here but I am in Broome Co.
                  You'll see more blackflies anywhere in the ADK's in a day then I'll see all year.

Comment

Saw a few over the weekend in Sabattis(Town of Long Lake).

Comment

Damn things are just starting in North Hudson. Hoping for one more climbing day....

Comment

They were swarming and landing (but not biting) down in the Central Catskill Region today...

Comment

From my experience, in the central Adirondacks, you're usually safe til around the 21st of May.

Comment

On the other hand, in one very strange year, I took out a Boy Scout troop over Memorial Day weekend with not a fly in sight. Only happened once.

Comment

On the other hand, in one very strange year, I took out a Boy Scout troop over Memorial Day weekend with not a fly in sight. Only happened once.
                              Last year (2019), during Memorial Day in the High Peaks, I saw no Black Flies at Bradley Pond. I spent a nice few days camped there. Of course, there was also still snow on the ground and the trees hadn't leafed out yet, either. It was a very surreal experience for late May.

But when the black flies did show up in the High Peaks a week or so later, they showed up with a vengeance.

Comment

Working...
                              X