Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Dexter Lake Trail 10-10-20

I was down this trail the weekend before, doing the loop from Watermills Pond, when i noticed this lil gorge below the 3rd bridge. went back this weekend to explore the gorge, and maybe a new lake or two.
Gorgeous weather, and the trail was in good shape, except for a large blow-down at the beginning. did a lil side trip to the North Creek Fall, very nice. then went over the hill between the 2 bridges to explore the gorge. no big wf's, but a lot of nice drops. tried to get to Conglin Lakes, but got distracted by the very long pool formed by a beaver dam on NC, so didn't make it. decided instead to try for Knapps Long Lake.
it was actually pretty easy to find this lake, the old road is still discernible in most spots, and the cliffs on either side discourage any wandering. ended up going down the south/east side of the lake, to where the outlet of Long Pond comes in. no signs of any civilization whatsoever, which is strange considering how nice the area is.
did about 10 miles altogether, 2 of them spent searching for Conglin and exploring the pool. really nice hike, the dog thoroughly enjoyed it!
pic 1 is North Creek Falls, pic 2 is the start of the long pool, pic 3 is the long pool near the conjunction of NC and Dexter/Spectacle outlet, pic 4 and 5 are from the gorge, pic 6 is near the end of the long pool, pic 7, 8, and 9 are Knapps Long Lake, pic 10 is one of many ledges,cliffs along the trail to Knapps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0362-a.jpg (152.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0395-a.jpg (150.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0398-b.jpg (115.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0406-a.jpg (153.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0413-a.jpg (152.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0449-a.jpg (97.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0469-a.jpg (44.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0482-a.jpg (131.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0494-a.jpg (44.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF501-a.jpg (119.8 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by MoodyBlues; 10-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: captions for pics
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

Nice hike!

North Creek falls is looking pretty good.

I like the old road to Knapps, it's neat how it runs through that little ravine. I've been trying to get back into those ledges in the winter. There has to be a spectacular ice fall there.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Woodly

Beautiful photos, thanks. Being laid up right now its the only way I can see the woods and wilds unless I'm in a car and that's nowhere near as nice.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Nice hike!

North Creek falls is looking pretty good.

I like the old road to Knapps, it's neat how it runs through that little ravine. I've been trying to get back into those ledges in the winter. There has to be a spectacular ice fall there.
It is cool back there in winter. Was there Jan 2019.

http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/2019...lake-club.html

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote