Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #21
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Jackson, some of what you describe is part of my NPT-west Arc.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #22
bridgeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Chub Lake (northeast of Queer Lake in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness), as I understand it, has an established tent site that I believe is meant to be a designated site, although there is no "camp here" disc (and it seems like there never has been one). It's shown on the DECInfo site, at least.

The DECInfo site also shows a designated tent site on west end of Queer Lake (actually on the smaller, separate pond adjacent to Queer Lake) but I don't remember seeing a site here at all when I took a day hike there a few years ago.

It's not directly on your route but I believe there's 2 or 3 designated tent sites on Cascade lake, south of Queer Lake.

Moss Lake has a bunch of designated tent sites, and they are all pretty obvious. This area can be popular for camping, however, since the sites are so close to the road.

Middle Branch Lake doesn't have any designated tent sites, but there is a ton of open woods here so the 150 foot thing wouldn't be too hard to do. When I camped there a few years ago, I remember seeing a group set up on the north side of the pond, set back from the water a fair distance.

It's not directly on your route but Middle Settlement Lake is also worth checking out. I remember seeing one designated tent site here in addition to the lean-to.

The DECInfo site shows a designated tent site at Pine Lake in addition to the lean-to there, but I don't remember seeing it when I camped there (although that trip was nearly 10 years ago now, so my memory isn't the best).

There is a well-established site at East Pond (the old lean-to site) that I thought was meant to be a designated site- I want to say that maybe it was mentioned in the UMP? When I stayed in this site a few years ago there was no "Camp Here" disc. I've noticed that this site is not shown at all on the DECInfo site, not sure if this is an oversight (wouldn't be the first designated site they missed in the official inventory) or if the site is actually meant to be designated (and is thus an illegal site, since it's too close to the trail).
The tent site on Chub Lake is very nice and has a large flat rock. Doesn't seem to get much use. Here's sunrise and sunset photos from last fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1019191751a_HDR.jpg (58.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1020190706.jpg (62.9 KB, 39 views)
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #23
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Your pictures are beautiful. I haven't been to Chub in several years, but it was one of my favorite spots back before I made a canoe and began going to wetter places. The rock is nice for swimming, and the loons always seemed to be close by where I could hear them. I never camped there, but I'd like to someday.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote