Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #21
Festus

No Bob, he wasn't Mike. This was 30 years ago...
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #22
TCD

I'm not a paddler, but I remember being really impressed with a guy we met at Duck Hole in '99. He had brought in a lightweight pack boat via the Preston Ponds. He was overnighting at Duck Hole (ultralight; sleeping under his boat as a shelter). He was headed out the Cold River to Long Lake the next day.

I remember thinking that would be an excellent adventure!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #23
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

While looking for something else, I stumbled across this old photo in the Adirondack Museum archives of horseback riders and their horses crossing the Cold River. It's a bit tricky to place the exact location, but I'd guess that they are on the Petty Cutoff. Funny enough, the photo is credited to Clarence Petty himself.

DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A few more photos from the same collection. The date's aren't exact but it looks like most of these were taken in the late 50's/early 60's.

Rondeau's camp. Looks a bit different today (the trees have fully grown in at the old lumber camp now).

Calkins Lean-tos. This area has also visibly grown in since, and clearly gets less use than it used to (there's not really a beaten down, bare patch of dirt in front of the lean-tos anymore).

This one is just labeled "Cold River Horse Trail." I can't place the exact location... looks like Duck Hole perhaps but the islands/shore line don't seem right. EDIT: On closer examination I think it Duck Hole, it's just taken at a weird angle. The hills in the background of Petty's image roughly line up with the hills in the background of this photo that I took a few years ago.

This last one isn't from the Cold River area but it was too fun not to share. A group of scouts hiking into Marcy Dam on the truck trail. Scout troops haven't changed one bit:

Old 05-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #25
Woodly

Excellent photos and history tidbits
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #26
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A few more still, credited to R. Pomeroy, taken in 1959:

Rondeau's.

Lean-to. Exact location is not mentioned but it looks like it could be the Ouluska Lean-to. If that is the Cold River to the back and right of the lean-to, then the orientation would be right.

Duck Hole.

This next photo has no credited photographer, but is listed has having been taken in 1929. The caption just reads "the Cold River lean-to." I have no idea which lean-to it is (or even if it is any of the lean-tos that still stand).

Another photo of Rondeau's, taken in 1965 by M. Bickford. Rondeau's looks a bit different today.

Another photo of Rondeau's, credited to M. Bickford and taken in 1971.

This one has no credited photographer, but is dated to 1922. The caption is "Survey gang leaving Cold River for Moose Pond." That would presumably place it near either Duck Hole, or Shattuck Clearing (there's Moose Ponds not far from either spot). Might be fun to try to find that rock at either location. EDIT: I found another record of this same photo that state's that it is Shattuck Clearing.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:03 PM   #27
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

This one is also neat. Aerial view of Shattuck Clearing, taken by R. Linke in either 1973 or 1974. You can see the ranger station and the old bridge over the Cold River (looks like it had already started washing out by the time this photo was taken).

The gravel pit on the north side of the river in this photo can still be readily found- if you walk through it, you'll pick up a path that leads to a very nice designated tent site.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #28
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Thanks Dsettahr, When I first started going back there in the 90s I ran into people on horses a lot. .The trails an stuff were all, kept up. Love seeing the old pictures, Then look at it now
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:02 AM   #29
DuctTape
Out of Shape

neat looking at the old photos. The lean-to in 1929 might be Cold River #3 at the time, known as Latham Pond.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #30
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The lean-to in 1929 might be Cold River #3 at the time, known as Latham Pond.
I was thinking maybe Cold River #2.

Does anyone know where Cold River #5 was? I always thought it was maybe where the stone fire pit is, on the south side of Moose Pond Stream (now a designated tent site).

EDIT: If it is Cold River #2, it's not the same lean-to at that spot. I just noticed that my photo shows a second set of beams that run front to back. The old lean-to in the archival photo appears to be missing these.

Last edited by DSettahr; 05-20-2020 at 06:51 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #31
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Another photo of Rondeau's, taken in 1965 by M. Bickford. Rondeau's looks a bit different today.

I also would question the accuracy of the listed date of this photo. In 1965, Rondeau's would've already been abandoned for ~15 years. Yes this photo appears to show more of Rondeau's "firewood wigwams" than the photo taken above, in 1959. The 1959 photo also appears more grown in. The "1965" photo also appears to show an active garden.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #32
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I cannot find any mention of a CR#5 in any of my books. I have the guides from 1934, 1947, 1950, 1962-current. That area always says "Ranger Cabin". In the 1950, it mentions the new CR#4, "Cross Cold river on bridge to N. side. New lean-to here. Latham Pond lean-to 400 ft downstream."

Last edited by DuctTape; 05-20-2020 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: 1962 typo
Old 05-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #33
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

On one of the signs at one of the junctions at or near Shattuck Clearing, if you look on the back you can see "Cold River #5" written in the classic DEC yellow letters (although fading and peeling). I always assumed that it was a re-purposed sign from the old lean-to. I feel like I've seen at least one written reference to the lean-to over the years but can't remember where.

The more recent editions of the ADK guidebook make reference to a former lean-to that was actually at Latham Pond- for a while I assumed that this was the "Cold River #5" shelter. A few years ago, though, I was told (as you state) that the "Latham Pond Lean-to" was actually one of the Cold River Lean-tos and was somewhat erroneously named. I think the passage in the ADK guidebook describing a former lean-to at Latham Pond is perhaps an error. (EDIT: I just checked the newest edition and it no longer makes reference to a former lean-to directly at Latham Pond.)

It's also possible that it was a planned lean-to that was never built. The sign may have sat in the ranger station, unused for years before being repurposed.

Last edited by DSettahr; 05-21-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #34
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Not far past the CR#3 lean-to along the NPT is a worn path which heads North in the direction of Latham Pond. I have not followed all the way. I suspect it is a direct route to Latham from the lean-to.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #35
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Not far past the CR#3 lean-to along the NPT is a worn path which heads North in the direction of Latham Pond. I have not followed all the way. I suspect it is a direct route to Latham from the lean-to.
So north of the lean-to? I'll have to look for that the next time I'm back in there.

I know there is a box toilet at CR #3... the DEC nailed the door of the outhouse shut when the box toilet was installed (presumably they were planning to dismantle the outhouse) but neglected to put up a sign for the box toilet. In their frustration and desperation for a place to poop (and not knowing that the box toilet was there), hikers ripped the outhouse door open again and it's been still getting use (despite being desperately close to crowning, just like every other outhouse on the Cold River stretch of the NPT). Are you sure the path you're referring to isn't the path to the box toilet?
Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 AM   #36
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

I've seen that path an its a dead to the beaver pond out back. I think people got fire wood back there,
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #37
Wldrns

Here's a few shots of Duck Hole I took during a fly-in I was on delivering materials for Lean2rescue. The Lt by the dam was removed, the one next to the original pond was repaired, and a third new LT was erected a bit to the north.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DH1.jpg (70.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg FlyInDuckHole.jpg (84.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #38
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
While looking for something else, I stumbled across this old photo in the Adirondack Museum archives of horseback riders and their horses crossing the Cold River. It's a bit tricky to place the exact location, but I'd guess that they are on the Petty Cutoff. Funny enough, the photo is credited to Clarence Petty himself.

I did go through my photos and found the album from when I found and followed the Petty Cutoff a few years ago. I did take a picture of the ford, but it appears to be at a different angle than Petty's photo above. In any case, the rest seems to match- a shallow and gravelly part of the river, grassy banks, a left turn in the river downstream, and a smaller hill in the immediate background:

Old 05-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #39
Lucky13

Looks like they flipped the negative, and there is a cloud obscuring the second peak in your shot.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #40
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Looks like they flipped the negative, and there is a cloud obscuring the second peak in your shot.
I considered that, but I think it's just the slightly different angle that the two photos were taken at. I would guess that the large peak in the background of the older image is Seymour, where as the cloud-obscured peak in the background of my photo is Donaldson and/or Emmons.

I threw together this map to illustrate:

The white circle is the location of the ford on the Petty Cutoff. The white triangle is the hill in the not-too-distant background of either photo. The blue line is the vantage of the older photo- showing Seymour to the back and right of the hill. The red line is my photo- showing the Emmons/Donaldson Ridge to the back and left of the hill.

In any case, I agree it would be good to get back and get another look at the area, preferably on a less cloudy day to see. I'm hoping to get back on the horse trail again at some point in the not-too-distant future- the ford is only a hop, skip, and a jump from the horse trail so it should be fairly easy to check out.