Once upon a cougar in the Adirondacks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harney only won a battle he didn't climb it like Custer

I also spent quite a bit of time in the Black Hills. Both places are very remote but the Black Hills seemed to have a more abundant and larger body size deer population.

I don't have the stats on it but when I saw my first mule deer I was quite impressed.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Call it Black Elk Peak then because he stood at the top of it before Custer ever did. In fact in the Book "Black Elk Speaks" he states the following about standing at the top of the mountain where he had his vision.

“I was standing on the highest mountain of them all, and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world, And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.”

Or call it by it's Lakota name "Hinhan Kaga Paha" for it is to us a sacred place.

Incidently, Black Elk was nine years old when he ascended the mountain and had his Vision. Custer rode his horse up as far as he could go, The first WHITE person credited with ascending Harney Peak was Valentine McGillicuddy on July 24, 1975.
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

What was the name of the tribe that occupied that area prior to the Sioux arrival in the late 1700's ?
        A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
          What was the name of the tribe that occupied that area prior to the Sioux arrival in the late 1700's ?
          Hidasta, Awatsa and Awaxawi among others. the Crow who were a split off division of the Hidasta stll populated the areas of the Great plains as did the Northern Cheyenne. The Mandan occupied the area of the Missouri just North of the area that the Yankton Sioux populated.

The Lakota (Sioux) were actually displaced from the area of the Ohio Valley by the members of the Iroquois Confederation and later from the midwest by the Ojibwa or Chippiwa. They migrated just West of the Missouri River and broke up into 3 bands, the Lakota, Nankota and Dakota. That was all before the coming of the horse to the Great Plains.
          Last edited by redhawk; 12-16-2011, 06:06 PM.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Impacts

Hey all,

This is my first post so i guess it looks like I'll be baptized with fire I grew up in between Ticonderoga and Whitehall (Dresden)...I worked for the DEC many summers in the Lake George and Pharaoh Lakes areas. I've spent my life hunting fishing, hiking, trapping, paddling etc, and now work as a Law Enforcement Ranger in Yellowstone.

Back on topic...I'm not claiming to be an expert, just another person with time in the backcountry. I firmly beleive that the ADKs get some transient or dispersed cougars roaming through. Having a few resident kitty's is not out of the realm of possibility I just don't believe Northern NY has a big enough deer heard to sustain a population of cats.
            That being said, cats thrive in the fringe areas around many California cities so maybe we'll just have to wait and see!

I will never believe that the DEC is "secretly releasing cats" or failing to deal with them...That is gross negligence and opening up severe legal issues from every angle.

As far as what would happen if NY did gain a viable cougar population well, I would suggest reading into the 1995 Yellowstone/Idaho reintroduction, that was a serious can of worms still loved and contested to this day...I know if NY gains a population then preservative measures would be introduced such as logging/developmental restrictions in viable habitat areas but in all truth that is the only hindrance I can think of. There's my 2 cents!

Stay safe out there!!
            “Great things are done when men and mountains meet"
            -William Blake

Comment

omitted the Yellowstone/Idaho "Wolf" reintroduction...good source of info into the politics and procedures and associated hoopla of gaining a new fluffy forest critter
              “Great things are done when men and mountains meet"
              -William Blake

Comment

Working...
              X