The Santanoni Range - 6/28/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Santanoni Range - 6/28/12

(cross posted form ADK High Peaks forum)

I used a vacation day yesterday to take advantage of the great weather and hike the Santanoni Range.

I made a loop out of the core of the hike by going up the Panther Brook HP and down the new/old Santanoni Express HP. I did Panther first, followed by Couch and Santa.

Thanks guys for the trail re-route near Bradley Pond. It looks great! And thanks for the sign and connector for the Panther Brook HP.

Times:

Start 5:20 AM
    Bradley Pond 6:35 AM
    Times Square/Harold Square 8:30 AM
    Panther 9:00 AM
    Couch 10:10 AM
    Santa 12:05 PM
    Bottom of Santa Express 2:15 PM
    Car 3 PM

9 hrs, 45 minutes total

I only saw 3 people all day. Not unexpected for a Thursday. I didn't sink in the mud wallow on Couch and still no bugs! Quite a nice day. Santanoni Express is quite steep (especially at the top). If I do this trip again (thinking winter), I will probably choose clockwise to go up the steep.

No humidity, no snakes, no bushwhacking, just good old fashioned herd paths.

ADK 46: 40/46(8W)

Long story and pictures at:

Hiking, Kayaking, Trail Running, Telemark Skiing, Snowshoeing and XC Skiing trip reports and tips for the Adirondacks, New York and New England.
    Offonadventure.com

Nice TR! I did the Range clockwise Memorial Day Weekend & got confused coming down Panther Brook. The trail ran right into a beaver dam. I saw the cairin across the dam to get to the Blue trail and decided to scale the edge of the dam. Couldn't believe it was strong enough to walk on. Crazy cool! You were hauling tail to do it under 10 hours
    "Now he walks in quiet solitude the forest and the streams
    Seeking grace in every step he takes
    His sight has turned inside himself to try and understand
    The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknut View Post
      Nice TR! I did the Range clockwise Memorial Day Weekend & got confused coming down Panther Brook. The trail ran right into a beaver dam. I saw the cairin across the dam to get to the Blue trail and decided to scale the edge of the dam. Couldn't believe it was strong enough to walk on. Crazy cool! You were hauling tail to do it under 10 hours
      I walked in on the beaver dam. They are always extremely strong. I did make one mis-step though with my right foot and went in to my knee before I could react and take my foot out.

You can see the cairn on either side of the beaver pond. It may be easier to cross a little downstream from the dam, but I just went across the dam.
      Offonadventure.com

Comment

Working...
      X