Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #1
mfreidhof

Upper St Regis Lake Put-In?

I am thinking of a trip through Bog Pond to Little Long and/or St Regis Pond, starting on Upper St Regis Lake.

From what I was looking at, it didn't look like the landing on Upper St Regis Lake is an official State Parking / Landing site.

Is it open to the public / free/ safe, etc?

Thanks.
mfreidhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Wldrns

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/70572.html

Town of Harrietstown Boat Launch is located on the southeast shore of Upper Saint Regis Lake off Saint Regis Carry Road. Paddlers must cross the lake and paddle up Bear Pond Outlet to access the canoe area. (44.3951? N, 74.2698? W)
Old 05-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #3
Nehasane

It has been a while but I may be there again later this week.
Parking is just along the roadside. It is a relatively busy launch. Post office is right there if I remember correctly. No issues with parking.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
MTVhike

I was at the Harrietstown Boat Launch a couple of days ago, and found it a little confusing, because it is adjacent to a private club.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
bluestar

You can drive right to the water, unload and back up with parking along 2 different roads. Private club as you near the water on your left. Make sure your vehicle is locked with no valuables in sight on the seats. Terrible to have to say that but it is what it is nowadays. At the put in follow the shoreline on your left maybe a half mile up. Keep the islands to your right. You'll see an opening on shore with a white sign. That's the portage to Bog. Maybe 75 yards up to the registration book. Good luck, have fun.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

St. Regis Pond is more easily accessed from Little Clear Pond to the south, with a put in at the hand launch on the south end of that body of water, just off of Fish Hatchery Road.

Little Long Pond is nice also, as I recall some of the campsites there are nice too.

If you're planning to overnight somewhere along this stretch, keep in mind that the lean-to on Bear Pond is on private property and isn't available for use by the public... it's been a while since I was on Bear Pond but in past trips through that area I've noticed that it isn't always obvious that it is private.

If you were willing to pay for a shuttle, you could do the full Seven Carries route... Little Green Pond to Paul Smith's College on Lower St. Regis. This would take you pretty much across the full breadth of this area.

Little Green is the traditional start of the Seven Carries but most folks skip it and start on Little Clear instead, since you can also drive to Little Clear.

There is public access to the hand launch at Paul Smith's College located near the student center- as I recall you can park at the student center for a few minutes to load/unload your gear but then are supposed to move your car to another lot. I can't remember which lot exactly they want you to park in but I'm sure if you stop into the campus safety office (adjacent to the post office) and ask they'll get you squared away. Alternatively, you can extend the trip a few miles down the St. Regis River and end at the St. Regis Mountain trailhead.

As a day trip the Seven Carries is readily doable by anyone in decent paddling shape with a boat that can be portaged fairly easily. If you wanted to overnight on it, there's plenty of designated tent sites on St. Regis Pond and Little Long Pond (Little Clear has no designated tent sites as it is used by the fish hatchery for rearing fish stock). There's also a number of nice lean-tos (albeit with dirt floors) on the Paul Smith's College easement on Upper St. Regis, Lower St. Regis, and along the St. Regis River between Lower St. Regis and the St. Regis Mountain trailhead. Be aware also, though, that the lean-tos in the immediate vicinity of the college on Lower St. Regis are not included in the easement and are not available for public use.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
mfreidhof

Thanks to all. Am looking forward to trying it out!
mfreidhof is offline   Reply With Quote