Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
swoop

footwear for wet/muddy trail conditions

hi, i was wondering how people deal with flooded and muddy trail conditions? i'm thinking of doing the high falls loop and i read that portions of the trail is prone to flooding from beaver activities. so how do you keep your feet dry? thanks.
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
randomscooter
Native Earthling

In summer I generally wear non-waterproof trail runners and lightweight wool socks. Wet feet are almost a certainty in many locales, so my choice is to wear something that will be comfortable when wet and will expel/evaporate most of the water as I hike.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
swoop

crocs?

would anybody recommend switching to crocs on the flooded sections? especially for kids? thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
TCD

It really varies by the individual person's feet. I've read a trail report from someone who hiked almost the entire NP trail in crocs, and loved it, his feet were very happy. Others have direly warned of all kinds of terrible things that will happen if you try that.

My recommendation is to start with short, non committing trips. Let the kids try everything from sandals to boots on a 1 mile out and back walk. You'll find out what works for each individual.

Have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
wiiawiwb

Trail runners

I agree that you'll never be able to keep your feet dry. I believe it's best to use something that dries quickly. I wear INOV-8 Talon 212s and they dry very quickly. I always carry a spare set of cycling socks and change them to allow the other pair to dry.

The 212s have sticky lugs on the bottom which are excellent for muddy conditions and also on rocks.

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detai...7&P=5050973028
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
would anybody recommend switching to crocs on the flooded sections? especially for kids? thanks.
I keep crock attached to the outside of my back with a biner. If I have to wade, I switch to them and then back to boots after I dry my feet.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Buckshot

I have gortex boots which work well in most conditions--although they are not perfect. If it's raining for days, or the trail is really wet for a long multi-day hike I slip on grocery bags between my boots and socks. If the water is deeper then my boots, then I switch to sandals, although I would prefer crocs, but I can't find them anywhere. Wet feet happen. There is something to be said about a sneaker that dries quickly. There us no perfect solution EXCEPT hip boots, which no one seems to wear.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

"Grocery bag between boots and socks"? Offhand I would think that would cause some condensation. No?

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
"Grocery bag between boots and socks"? Offhand I would think that would cause some condensation. No?
Maybe,
but somehow I do remember mom wrapping my feet in plastic bags before putting on my snow boots before letting me go outside to play in the snow when I was little kid....
...Never did have cold wet feet that I can remember.

As for the footwear that I wear now,
I really like the Rocky Timberwolve Gortex hunting boot which you can find at most hunting/fishing/camping/hiking stores.
They're a good light-weight waterproof boot, and at 800g of Thinsulate they are not too hot to wear in the summer, and they keep my feet warm & dry in the spring/fall also.

If I know that I will be encountering possible very wet conditions such as high creek crossings or walking through knee-waist deep water, I'll usually strap a pair of lightweight sneakers, crocs, or sandals to my pack.
...of course usually only during the warmer months.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
wiiawiwb

Quote:

Hawk
A hiking buddy of mine, from out West, came to visit and we backpacked for a few days in the Adirondacks. It rained like crazy the entire time. He only brought his running shoes so he used plastic shopping bags around his feet. That was the first time I remember seeing someone do that.

It worked for him for three days but I would suspect fungus would set in at some point as your feet aren't breathing at all in them.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
I keep crock attached to the outside of my back with a biner. If I have to wade, I switch to them and then back to boots after I dry my feet.

Hawk
This is exactly what I did on my last trip since there were a few deep stream crossings, plus plenty of oppertunity just to wade around in the water. I have Vasque Breeze GTX boots for the hiking, and then a pair of cheap crocks when the water is more than booth depth.

If I didnt have the crocks, I think a non-waterproof well breathing shoe might be another thing I would try. Just let your feet get wet and hope they dry for the most part as you continue on. But the crocks were so cheap at wallmart and so light its nothing to take em. I didnt even need a biner, just fed an existing strap on the pack through em.
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
swoop

thanks for all the replies. as it turned out, the trail to high falls was pretty dry so didn't need the crocs.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
John H Swanson

not meaning to hijack the thread....

Any one ever hear of a Croc bail (loop thing) braking resulting in loosing the shoe from the outside of the pack?

Last edited by John H Swanson; 07-18-2011 at 12:32 PM..
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
yellowcanoe

yes at the attachment point. However I was well aware it snagged and could simply pick it up.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Muddy is worse, imo as I can always go cody style fording.