Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
paul ron

ADK NY Chapter members?

Im wondering how many people are ADK NY Chapter members in here?

did anyone vote in the November elections for the NY Chapter board of directors?

just curious.
paul ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
MTVhike

NY as in Manhattan? We have some Long Island Chapter members who live in Brooklyn and Queens.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
paul ron

no it has nothing to do with where you are located. what chapter did you check off when you joined the adk? you can change it anytime.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
gebbyfish

Saratoga/Glens Falls chapter member here. Did not vote for the Board. Not sure I saw the ballot in the mailbox.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
rdl

Each ADK chapter appoints a director who sits on the board of directors. Each director has a 2 year term with a maximum of 3 consecutive terms.

https://www.adk.org/board-of-directors/

Last edited by rdl; 12-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: grammar correction(glad I can still edit this)
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
paul ron

the reason im asking, there is such a low turnout so id like to find out why.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
rdl

Each chapter and the participation is only as strong as the volunteers who help run the local chapter, and each chapter has its ebbs and flows over the years. If you have any ideas on how to increase participation in your local chapter, contact the director for your chapter -- hopefully they're very willing to listen to your ideas and talk about ways to increase participation.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
paul ron

we've tried, but the BOD refuses to give us the member list saying its top secret information.

so im trying to find out if anyone here is in the NY Chapter n maybe get better participation started.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #9
MTVhike

Ron, are you a member of the NY Chapter? I believe the members of the chapter select that chapter's BOD representative; at least that's how the LI chapter works.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
paul ron

thats right. but the voting was so sparce. of 700 ny chapter members we only had 90 ballots come in. it makes me wonder if they are getting notices n access to the ballots.

the only way to find out is to ask the members... thought id find them here.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
rdl

Quote:
of 700 ny chapter members we only had 90 ballots come in
That seems to be typical of the ADK chapter membership -- about 10-15% are "active" members who participate in the chapter outings, meetings, etc... The rest are silent members who, I assume, support the ADK advocacy and/or want reduced parking/lodging rates.

I've been a member of the NF chapter for 25 years and as other parts of my life change I either become active or sit on the sidelines for a few years. But I still regularly pay my dues mainly because I support the club initiatives. Of the 900 or so members locally, maybe 100-125 actively participate.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
JoeCedar

ADK NY Chapter members?

The way ADK works, you can join a chapter or be a "member at large". ADK provides chapters with a portion of the membership dues paid. If you don't join a chapter, ADK keeps the chapter portion.

You can also affiliate with another chapter for a small additional payment. In most cases you then get on their mail/newsletter list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #13
paul ron

hey joe,
i know how it functions but im looking to speak with ny chapter members. seems there arent any in here.

as i started saying... im curious to know if ballots were made available to everyone. if they are familiar with the people running. were they given the ny chapters site password?

the site the ballots are on is password protected.... not like the adk site using your id, its a secret password so unless you are active in the chapter, youd have no idea what it is.... and maybe a reason for such a low turnout?

i know as a ny chapter member, i was never officially given the password, it was given to me by another member when i asked for it.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
MTVhike

Do you go to chapter meetings? With the ADKLI, elections are in person at the annual meeting.
You say "unless you are active in the chapter..." so I assume you are not active.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #15
paul ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
the site the ballots are on is password protected.... not like the adk site using your id, its a secret password so unless you are active in the chapter, youd have no idea what it is.... and maybe a reason for such a low turnout?

i know as a ny chapter member, i was never officially given the password, it was given to me by another member when i asked for it.
ALL registered NY Chapter members are considered active as long as they pay the ADK yearly dues... im refering to ACTIVE in the sense of participation in the clubs activities n business.

Its interesting that the LI chapter doesn't have mail in ballots offered to people that cant come to the annual meeting. Are ballots made available to ALL members of the LI Chapter, how are they distributed?

The only meeting the members can attend is the annual meeting in AUG. Election ballots are published in Sept-Oct issue of the magazine, Trail Marker, which is distributed via email notice to download the PDF magazine online from our site. The ballots have to be mailed in by Nov 1st deadline.

Unless you know the password, you cant get into the members only part of the site. In my first year, I had no idea we even had a site until someone mentioned it in casual conversation, then I asked for a link and the access code. NO ONE EVER SENT ME A PASSWORD.

So perhaps talking to NY Chapter Members here will help me find out why participation is so low?

Id like to hear more about your LI elections? How many people show up for the annual meeting to vote? Do you as a member have access to the member list so you can campaign as write in votes if you chose to do so?.. do you stay in touch with the entire membership via emails for important issues, discuss n make recommendations to the BOD?

Last edited by paul ron; 01-06-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
rdl

In the Niagara Frontier chapter, we seem to follow basically the same procedure as the LI chapter. When any position on the local executive committee or the director position comes available(each position has a fixed term) announcements are made in the weekly emails and the monthly newsletter. Anyone who expresses an interest in an open position is added to the ballot and the vote is held at either the annual meeting in the summer, or the first meeting after summer(don't remember which). We've never done an online vote, however if someone wanted to vote via email I don't think we'd reject that vote.

We have around 950 members, and perhaps 125-150 are what we would call active members: those who participate in outings, attend meetings, etc...
Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
wiiawiwb

I think the organization as a whole can benefit for the more its members are active and the more the organization welcomes such contributions.

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 01-07-2017 at 06:39 PM..
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote