Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2022, 09:03 AM   #41
MrKawfey

I like the way you broke down the 2 categories for ADK backcountry. Not having any experience with XC, is there really any place for the traditional super long skinny xc skis in the ADK backcountry?

What is it about them that's limiting? Is it the length, lack of downhill capability, lack of climbing ability?
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #42
montcalm
curb my enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
Probably a little inelegant of me to say "no need to rehash it".

Really what I meant was "no need to rehash it in this thread". I'm a gear modification junkie myself and it's kind of a running joke in our house. My wife even bought me a shirt that says "I void warranties" with a row of every tamper-proof screw head underneath.

I really considered making my own scales on downhill skis before buying these. It would be an interesting (separate) thread to discuss all the ins and outs of the tools, setup, angles, etc of cutting custom scales.

And also discuss why striperguy's setup wouldn't work.
Check out Telemark Talk - there's a number of discussions there and some folks who have done this, that may still be posting and willing to share expertise. Probably far too few here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
I like the way you broke down the 2 categories for ADK backcountry. Not having any experience with XC, is there really any place for the traditional super long skinny xc skis in the ADK backcountry?

What is it about them that's limiting? Is it the length, lack of downhill capability, lack of climbing ability?

It's both - and lack of trailbreaking ability. Some people still use, and like them. They are fast, under the right conditions - but I find, for me, more often than not I can be just as fast with wider skis because I'm floating more and climbing easier (less herringbone). The DH is probably faster on skinnies, but sometimes not much fun - more of a ride of terror in snow that locks the skis down.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:53 PM   #43
Fisheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Thanks, guys.
FWIW, that 20 degree number, I picked off the rise and distance from a USGS topo map of the specific section where the usual skin track is the steepest. I need to use the highest riser step on my Fristche Free Ride bindings. Depending on how slick that track gets, I have slid backwards with my skins in the past.
My only ski boots now are some Scarpa or other, a dedicated 4 buckle AT boot with a high cuff and stiff forward flex (120 IFRC). I can ski lift served with them all day anywhere and they work well for me.
I still can ski any terrain in any condition, but most definitely prefer powder, trees and bumps, in that order. As far as lift served goes, if all there was to ski was groomers...I would stop skiing.

I still have a pair of Rossi Scratch's, mounted with 2 ton Marker AT bindings, that I machined fish scales into the bases. That didn't work at all.
So I was hoping I could find a fish scale bottomed ski that had big mountain performance, and something a bit wider than my 84 Watea's, to handle breakable crust a little better.

After looking at the skis in your links above, I don't have much hope.
I guess that's fine, I'll practice getting better at applying and removing my skins!
Mike,
I have my own style, but I keep up with things that are a little different than exactly what I do. I?ve owned a pair of Fischer S-112, I can use kick wax and out climb those scales easily. They also have what is called an air core, they are not torsionally stiff. Yes, I can ski them on hard surfaces on a black diamond, with leather Tele boots. However the ski does not inspire confidence.
Now I read and communicate with quite a few guys that ski Voile Vectors in the mountains. I?ve read positive reviews of guys using Vectors from the Sierra to the Cascades to the Whites and Greens. These guys to carry skins for for steeper skin tracks.
Now onto sliding backwards with your skins. There are different “hair” materials. The Mohair are the most slidey, while nylon the most grippy. A nylon / mohair mix is considered a nice compromise. If you?re slipping maybe you should consider a pair of nylon skins.
I do have one question for you. Most guys when they reach a certain age opt for less steep skin tracks. How old are you going to have to be before you stop following the twenty something?s skin tracks? Once guys get to about 40 they seem to use a lot more sense when breaking trail uphill!
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:47 AM   #44
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Haha, I ask myself that question often!
When I was in my 50’s, I skied with a buddy of mine at a Bromley in VT.
We bumped into my buddies friend, that was on staff at Killington forever, he was just 60 and as smooth as flowing water.
I was impressed with his fluidity. We skied one extremely mild bump run together, the guy looked solid, but later said that was all his legs could take.
That guy was my benchmark for years and years.
Well, I’m well past that guys age now and still ski powder, bumps and trees all day long, on any terrain. Is it my level of physical fitness? Is it my technique? Is it genes?
Likely a combo of all that and I’m just plain lucky.
If I can still BC ski in another 5 years(70 years old) I’ll be pleased.
A good ski buddy of mine continued to teach at Mad River well into his 70’s, so there’s hope.

And my skins are nylon, used only for the climb, they’re no good at gliding.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote