No announcement yet.

History of Tahawus/Adirondac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for the great pics. I've read that there is still an amazing amount of ore in these two places as well as in the Mineville area. It just costs too much to process it now.

Comment

Just found this link for pictures, also of other areas of world..

Urban Exploration Resource: Featuring Urban Exploration stories and a huge database of locations and pictures from a variety of abandoned buildings and other unique places.
      Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
      Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Some great history from the area.

Comment

Update (kind of): For those wanting to hear stories of life at Tahawus, the town of Newcomb has tours during their Teddy Roosevelt Days in early Sept. Show up early at the old ghost town as parking becomes scarce as the day goes on. former residents fondly talk about growing up there as their dads worked for NL. There is also a tour of the "New" blast furnace.

Comment

I just came upon your post. If you are on facebook, I HIGHLY recommend you get onto the "History and Legends of the Adirondacks" group. Much has been posted, in great detail, about Tahawus, the Iron Works, NL, etc. In fact, we have a member who used to work for NL and is an expert in not only NL but the history of the Upper Works area going back to McIntyre's Iron Works; he is writing a book on the topic. Also, if you like photos, there are a ton of photos in the group related to this topic.

--john

Originally posted by 'Dukes View Post
            This place is most likely know to you afficianados of the mountains.
            THe history of development spans over 100 years. One century of abandonment and then redevelpment. Amazing.
            The hard part; peicing together the years in which the old Macyntire mine village was reinhabited by the Spotsman's club buildings. When did it occur? Are any of the structures left from that era , or are they all '60's era remnants from the National Lead plant?(excluding the Mcnaughton cottage, we know it's history).
            Tahawus; I'm assuming that this village was displaced by NL's "second " pit when it moved the village to Newcomb in the ''60's.

National Lead; I've been in and around the plant for a couple of years, photographing the place. The first time I saw it at the edge of a tailings pile I was blown away that such an industrial giant had existed in the mountains.
            And that it was historically tied to a village and mine 100 years earlier.
            And that 40 years before the inception of the NL plant and the new rail line, The Tahawus club welcomed a formern president!

In R.L. Stoddards book, he even visits the old village in the 1870's. Fantastic stuff.

Question; Has anyone here ever worked at the National lead plant ? Lived in the Adirondac village? Lived in Tahawus before the move?
            Just trying to piece together a timeline here. If you have pictures of the Tahawus village, I'd love to see them.
            Pics of work at the NL Plant I'd love to see that as well. What did you do there? What buildings were present?
            Sorry for the long post, but the whole area is ripe with history , yet too much is unkown.
            Thanks.
            Better than sitting at home in a beanbag, eating Cheetos, and watching infomercials

Comment

Working...
            X