No announcement yet.

At the mercy of the mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked this book up today brand new for less than 11.00 with shipping.

$6.38 was the cost of the book. The rest was shipping. Not bad from Amazon.

Well my style of stress relief
    Sometimes disturbs the peace
    The police show up
    And cut donuts in my yard
    And while the Zeppelin's playing loud
    They run off my party crowd
    They cuff up my wrist
    And throw me down so hard

Comment

Originally posted by JackG79 View Post
      I picked this book up today brand new for less than 11.00 with shipping.

$6.38 was the cost of the book. The rest was shipping. Not bad from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
      I borrowed it from the library for nothing. A GREAT deal (and a good source of reading material).

Hawk
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
        I borrowed it from the library for nothing. A GREAT deal (and a good source of reading material).

Hawk
        I did the same. Free knowledge is the best knowledge.

Comment

Hawk
          We have a book shelf inside our camp. It's loaded with books about the adks, gear, guns, hunting, fishing, everything.....

I thought that this would make a nice addition at $7.00......... Plus it supports the authors hard work. I bought my mother a few books about "Hauntings in the Adirondacks"........... She loves that stuff. I think my next set of books is going to be those ones called "Great Camps of the Adirondacks" Looks very interesting.
          The police show up
          They cuff up my wrist

Comment

Originally posted by JackG79 View Post
            We have a book shelf inside our camp. It's loaded with books about the adks, gear, guns, hunting, fishing, everything.....

I thought that this would make a nice addition at $7.00......... Plus it supports the authors hard work. I bought my mother a few books about "Hauntings in the Adirondacks"........... She loves that stuff. I think my next set of books is going to be those ones called "Great Camps of the Adirondacks" Looks very interesting.
            The great camps books are just that, great! I am also obsessed with hauntings and paranormal happenings in the adirondacks and in general for that matter. But I bought what I could find on the subject when the Walden Books in Rotterdam Mall went out of business so I only have about 3 I think.

Comment

Just got my book today!!! And it's raining out.... So I know what I'll be doing!!!!!!!
              The police show up
              They cuff up my wrist

Comment

As a result of this thread I borrowed "Not Without Peril" from the library. Per the recommendations from earlier posters, it's well worth reading if you enjoy adventure in the wilds. There are the usual lessons in it with respect to knowing what you are getting into, being prepared for contingencies, and choosing wisely when conditions change. The stories are driven home by the dire real-life consequences of poor preparation, choices and/or bad luck. I had no idea the large number of deaths which have taken place on Mount Washington alone!

Even when a book of this nature is an unpleasant read, it can be a worthwhile investment in wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by SummitHat View Post
                  As a result of this thread I borrowed "Not Without Peril" from the library. Per the recommendations from earlier posters, it's well worth reading if you enjoy adventure in the wilds. There are the usual lessons in it with respect to knowing what you are getting into, being prepared for contingencies, and choosing wisely when conditions change. The stories are driven home by the dire real-life consequences of poor preparation, choices and/or bad luck. I had no idea the large number of deaths which have taken place on Mount Washington alone!

Even when a book of this nature is an unpleasant read, it can be a worthwhile investment in wisdom.
                  It's amazing how benign thinks can appear, and then just a change in weather or circumstances can turn them deadly. You can make a beautiful scenic drive up Mount Hood in Oregon and it would seem almost impossible that a number of people perish there each year. the same with mount Washington.

Man is under the delusion that they can "Tame nature". They can't.

So, it's important to be informed and aware of all the possibilites of things that can and often do go wrong. Planning a trip should take all those factors into mind so they one is properly equipped in the event of an emergency and properly educated in what the best course of action is.

Even today, at 68 years of age, with 62 years of hiking under my belt, as well as receiving and giving survival courses, I still learn new things every year. Often through forums such as this, often through conversations with other hikers and SARS members, and tragically by reading of the miscues of others, many of whom do not survive to tell their own stories.

Hawk
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

It's amazing how benign thinks can appear, and then just a change in weather or circumstances can turn them deadly. You can make a beautiful scenic drive up Mount Hood in Oregon and it would seem almost impossible that a number of people perish there each year. the same with mount Washington.

Man is under the delusion that they can "Tame nature". They can't.

So, it's important to be informed and aware of all the possibilites of things that can and often do go wrong. Planning a trip should take all those factors into mind so they one is properly equipped in the event of an emergency and properly educated in what the best course of action is.

Even today, at 68 years of age, with 62 years of hiking under my belt, as well as receiving and giving survival courses, I still learn new things every year. Often through forums such as this, often through conversations with other hikers and SARS members, and tragically by reading of the miscues of others, many of whom do not survive to tell their own stories.

Hawk
                    Hawk, when are you just going to break down and write a book.... I'd buy it. Do it, Do it.
                    The police show up
                    They cuff up my wrist

Comment

Hi folks, The information on page 258 is from another search. The day of the find I was aerial searching the area. I picked up tracks, that appeared to be those of a lost subject and not a moose. I radioed the closest Ranger on the ground (John Chambers). We flew to his location and I tossed a harness out of the ship to him then hoisted him into the helicopter. We flew back to the tracks and I inserted him there. During this flight I noticed a set of tracks crossing a large beaver meadow between the lost man tracks and the gate at the end of the road. The tracks were obviously man tracks following a compass as they were staight as an arrow and crossed the meadow at a angle. In the middle of the meadow the tracks had a little side loop. It was obvious that the subject had passed this way twice. Once in each direction. The loop was the return trip in which the subject crossed the stream on a dam rather than fall in it a second time. Falling in the stream the first time is why he had stopped to build a fire using the the gun powder in his rifle shell. The intense cold, hypothermia, confusion, a lack of margin information on his map and other issues is why he decided to turn around 300 yards from the gate at the end of the road. When I spotted the tracks in the meadow I radioed Ranger George and he found the shell, bullet, powder and paper towel partially burnt a short ways into the woods from the meadow. Maybe in his cold hypothermic stupor Birchmeyer thought that his fire would still be going at his campsite where he was found. The record is now straight. Steve O.

Comment

I found Not without Peril to be an excellent book. The theme that kept cropping up was that of people not turning around when weather conditions deteriorated. That, insufficient clothing and a lack of appreciation as to how wicked the weather could be.

The tale of the man dying less than a mile from Madison hut in August was the most poignant. August is a common month for hypothermia deaths.

Who has been in a parking lot with the sunshine pouring down and birds singing only to encounter driving winds, sleet and little or no visibility above tree-line?
                        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger5718 View Post
                          Hi folks, The information on page 258 is from another search. The day of the find I was aerial searching the area. I picked up tracks, that appeared to be those of a lost subject and not a moose. I radioed the closest Ranger on the ground (John Chambers). We flew to his location and I tossed a harness out of the ship to him then hoisted him into the helicopter. We flew back to the tracks and I inserted him there. During this flight I noticed a set of tracks crossing a large beaver meadow between the lost man tracks and the gate at the end of the road. The tracks were obviously man tracks following a compass as they were staight as an arrow and crossed the meadow at a angle. In the middle of the meadow the tracks had a little side loop. It was obvious that the subject had passed this way twice. Once in each direction. The loop was the return trip in which the subject crossed the stream on a dam rather than fall in it a second time. Falling in the stream the first time is why he had stopped to build a fire using the the gun powder in his rifle shell. The intense cold, hypothermia, confusion, a lack of margin information on his map and other issues is why he decided to turn around 300 yards from the gate at the end of the road. When I spotted the tracks in the meadow I radioed Ranger George and he found the shell, bullet, powder and paper towel partially burnt a short ways into the woods from the meadow. Maybe in his cold hypothermic stupor Birchmeyer thought that his fire would still be going at his campsite where he was found. The record is now straight. Steve O.
                          Thanks for straightening that out Steve.
                          'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I just read the book on vacation this week. I found it hard to put down. I gave it to me my brother in law's father who helped on some of the SAR's during the 70's. He almost finished it before the week was up. Interesting stories for sure, unavoidable tragedy and remarkable rescues in others.
                            I also have read Over the Edge, Death in the Canyon written by a Physician who has helped rescue people out in the Grand Canyon. Great Read.

Comment

Deep Survival

For those interested in this topic - and the psychological underpinnings of what happens to those who become lost - I'd recommend, "Deep Survival", by Laurance Gonzalez http://www.deepsurvival.com/

I read it some time back, but discovering "At the Mercy" here on the forum, and reading it caused me to go back and re-read "Deep Survival". Riveting, informative stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Clifman View Post
                                For those interested in this topic - and the psychological underpinnings of what happens to those who become lost - I'd recommend, "Deep Survival", by Laurance Gonzalez http://www.deepsurvival.com/

I read it some time back, but discovering "At the Mercy" here on the forum, and reading it caused me to go back and re-read "Deep Survival". Riveting, informative stuff.
                                I also read and enjoyed Deep Survival. A well written and informative book. (Although, not much to learn from it as I recall! It basically came down to those who had the best sense of humor and who didn't freak out were the most likely to survive when faced with life or death situations in the woods. )

Comment

Working...
                                X