No announcement yet.

History of Tahawus/Adirondac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn Celt1! Impressive move, I'm always amazed how they lift/transport a house all in 1 piece. I guess since the homes in Tahawus are built to withstand a lot of abuse from nature, this wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the pictures.
    - It's lonely at the top. But its comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom

Comment

Man does that bring back some memories. I lived there as a kid and remember the move all to well. Pick up a whole town and move it down the road 15 miles and set it back up. This was one of the smaller places that they moved. St Threasa's chruch in Newcomb and the 5 apartment housed that had 8-10 apartments were some of the bigger ones. I have some actual 8 mm movies of the move and some of the mines itself. One of these days I will have to get them converted to dvd.

Comment

Oh, yeah... The apartments. We lived in them for a couple of years when we first arrived in Tahawus. I can remember standing on the back porch of our apartment in the evening, watching the black bears along the tree line at the bottom of the yard. They'd come onto the porch later at night, and root through the garbage cans. We then moved into one of the company houses, then bought another before the big move. Like many/most families, we cycled through the 20-family building while waiting for our house to be set up in Newcomb. Oh, those were good times...

Comment

Celt I also lived there durring the move and graduated from Newcomb in 69. Courious as to what your last name is. Do you know any of the McMahons?

Comment

I went to school with two McMahon sisters (Doris and Donna?), but only until 1966 when my family moved to Vermont. I would have graduated from Newcomb in 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by Celt1 View Post
              I went to school with two McMahon sisters (Doris and Donna?), but only until 1966 when my family moved to Vermont. I would have graduated from Newcomb in 1973.

Small world. They are my sisters. Both live in the Malone area.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Dukes View Post
                Thanks Dick, most of this I have seen although the first link is a great "all in one" location.
                Still leaves out the mystery "transition" period. The only identifiable edifice from the Mcnaughton era is the smelter and the cottage.
                I'd still like to talk to someone who lived there in the NL days.
                Hi Dukes, I lived in Tahawus from 1943 thru 1958, the year I graduated from Newcomb Central School. I was there before our house was built, before the "Y" was built and before the constuction of St. Thresa's Church. The white apartments were not built at that time either and neither was the "school on the hill". The upperworks was entirely there and my girl friend lived in the mcnoughton cottage.
                If you would like to ask me about what my knowledge of the history is you can write anytime. My father was an electrition at the mines and helped in the electrical construction of the YMCA, St theresa's church,and the wiring of the new school in Newcomb after the old school burned down.........Bob

Comment

Originally posted by adkman12986 View Post
                  I lived there from 1951 to 1964 when they moved the town to the Winebrook Hills area.
                  Hi adkman. I lived in Tahawus from 1943-1958. What is your name?

Comment

Dave McMahon Lived there until they moved the town to Newcomb and then in Newcomb when I graduated from High school in 1969

Comment

Came across these photo's of the mines when in operation and shortly after it shut down.

Comment

Trail Tramp - Thanks!!

I'll have to check out the old Elba Iron Works site the next time I'm up to Lake Placid.

Comment

For those of you looking for people who lived and worked at the mines, my grandfather was employed there. He was a mine worker, but a few years ago past away. My uncle who is our family genealogy expert has information about it I'm sure, if anyone is interested in contacting him.

He has a Facebook, but I'm not sure where else he can be contacted.
                          sigpic

Comment

Who was your grandfather? I worked at NL for a short time but my father worked there for 45 yrs. He also has lots of old photos and Cloud Splitters

Comment

How much of this town still exists? How much hiking/walking does it take to get to the neater of the buildings? I am coming up next month and would like to visit this place if worth the side trip.

society, you're a crazy breed
                              I hope you're not lonely without me
                              society, crazy and deep
                              I hope you're not lonely without me

Comment

There is little to no hiking for most of the buildings however the mine area is closed for obvious reasons. The upper works area is where most of the buildings are.

Comment

Working...
                                X