Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Casual Overnight Suggestions

Hello All,

I am planning on bringing a couple friends up to the Adirondacks this Sunday. I am looking for an overnight trip that has the following qualities:

- Low milage
    - Good views is possible
    - Secluded

The only experience I have in the ADK is peak bagging in the high peaks so I am very inexperienced with these types of trips. Ideally, I would like a camp site less than 2 miles from a trailhead where we could set up a base camp and just enjoy the outdoors. They don't necessarily want to hike, but having trails nearby would be a huge plus! They really just want to be able to sit around in the woods and enjoy the nature, being near a body of water or any other scenery would be a huge plus as well.

Any suggestions? I thank you all in advance!

Drive in to the Moose River Plains, park and hike into one of the ponds perhaps.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Moose River Plains is a good idea; lots of small-medium day hikes and a really unique area.

The problem with your criteria of low mileage is that everyone else will have the same idea and seclusion is at a premium.

Maybe Sargeant Ponds or a Pond in the Pharaoh lake area?

Comment

Curious....Is this a planned trip that is connected with the Adkhighpeaks Foundation?
        Moose River Plains has something for everybody.
        The Ferris Lake Wild Forest Area also comes to mind...

Comment

Curious....Is this a planned trip that is connected with the Adkhighpeaks Foundation?
          Nope, no relation to any foundation. I am just hoping to share the natural beauty of the adirondacks to some newcomers of the area who are fairly timid to the idea of hiking and camping. I have the low milage criteria because the camping equipment they have isn't exactly light weight.

I figured a low milage site that was also secluded would be pretty hard to come by, but your suggestions thus far are great!

Comment

Originally posted by CCarr518 View Post
            Nope, no relation to any foundation.
            I only ask because of the sub-forum the thread was posted in.
            You might want to also ask your question in the "General Adirondack Discussion" section.
            Might get a few more ideas...

Comment

I only ask because of the sub-forum the thread was posted in.
              You might want to also ask your question in the "General Adirondack Discussion" section.
              I did not even realize I posted this in this specific sub-forum. Thank you very much for the catch! You are probably very right.

Comment

Relocated...

no worries...in a more appropriate forum now.
                “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Working...
                X