"other" forum site down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "other" forum site down?

Am I alone or is http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums broken?

What's the benefit of having two separate sites?
    http://edthesmokebeard.com/

What's the benefit of having two separate sites?
    Personally, I tire of the peak bagger mentality on the other forum. The park is much more than just the High Peaks and completing a list. Some of the paddlng discussions and insight into other parts of the park on this forum is why I use this site and not the other.

Comment

Talked to an old 46er the other day. He and I agreed there is probably as much or more paddling in the Adirondacks as peak bagging.

They are all fun. Skiing and biking too.

My problem is often not completing a list but figuring out which one of the many things to do on any given trip. Lists are too constraining and my interests too varied.

I often think I could go my whole life and not run out of things to do inside the Blue Line. Another big problem is deciding whether or not to do something new or revisit something I really, really enjoyed.

Comment

Personally, I like these forums the best (out of all online message boards for outdoor recreation) because most of the regular community members here seem to have a fairly well developed sense of ethics with regards to outdoor recreation. I know that we don't all agree on a lot of the finer points of wilderness ethics and recreation management. In general, though, I think that if more people in the outdoor recreation community behaved more like the community members here at ADKForum, there would be less of a need for things like backcountry regulations.

Comment

We maintain the two sites because the demographics are so different. The other one's name: ADK High Peaks clearly indicates what the main focus is although there is a lot of action regarding the Catskills. Overall it has a much narrower focus than this forum.

Also, when one site goes down the other is still running because they are each hosted on different servers.

Whichever activity one prefers to do or discuss on-line, the simplest approach is "live and let live". I find I enjoy one forum just about as much as the other.
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

My antivirs software blocks the other site:

My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              We maintain the two sites because the demographics are so different. The other one's name: ADK High Peaks clearly indicates what the main focus is although there is a lot of action regarding the Catskills. Overall it has a much narrower focus than this forum.

Also, when one site goes down the other is still running because they are each hosted on different servers.

Whichever activity one prefers to do or discuss on-line, the simplest approach is "live and let live". I find I enjoy one forum just about as much as the other.
              Agree. I also enjoy both equally. Of course they are different. The only thing I don't like is when folks in one place (whatever place that is) decide it's time to start talking negatively about folks in another place.

Comment

Originally posted by bioguide View Post
                My antivirs software blocks the other site:

The host got a false positive on a malware scan and in spite of our deleting the suspect files I guess that message still pops up for some people. You can click allow and the forum will display and there is no threat.
                The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                  Personally, I like these forums the best (out of all online message boards for outdoor recreation) because most of the regular community members here seem to have a fairly well developed sense of ethics with regards to outdoor recreation. I know that we don't all agree on a lot of the finer points of wilderness ethics and recreation management. In general, though, I think that if more people in the outdoor recreation community behaved more like the community members here at ADKForum, there would be less of a need for things like backcountry regulations.
                  "D"
                  In these times, we're surrounded with jerks and they just don't realize that freedom comes with a cost.....Responsibility

Comment

I'm not sure if this is happening for anyone else, but I've tried logging into the High Peaks forum numerous times over the past few days using different browsers (FireFox, IE, Chrome, Android phone browser) and keep getting stuck in an infinite loop. It shows me the message below and basically looks like the page is constantly refreshing without me doing anything

If I try to click on the link that says "this page" it will take me to the User Settings page before immediately bringing me back to this "password expired" page loop. No matter what I try to click on it bring me back to this page. The URL of this looping page is below if that helps and my username is the same as over there as it is here
                    Code:
                    http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/profile/saveDst?userid=12753
                    If I don't attempt to log in, I can view the forum just fine
                    CL50 #506
                    ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...

Comment

Originally posted by cuterocky View Post
                      I'm not sure if this is happening for anyone else, but I've tried logging into the High Peaks forum numerous times over the past few days using different browsers (FireFox, IE, Chrome, Android phone browser) and keep getting stuck in an infinite loop. It shows me the message below and basically looks like the page is constantly refreshing without me doing anything

If I try to click on the link that says "this page" it will take me to the User Settings page before immediately bringing me back to this "password expired" page loop. No matter what I try to click on it bring me back to this page. The URL of this looping page is below if that helps and my username is the same as over there as it is here
                      Code:
                      http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/profile/saveDst?userid=12753
                      If I don't attempt to log in, I can view the forum just fine
                      Same thing happens to me. Ever since it switched to the new server.
                      High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 29/46 (2nd); 11/46 (3rd); 7/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 1/46 (2nd)

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)

Comment

Maybe it is an old cookie that is causing problems? Perhaps try deleting your cookies (or logging in from a browser or computer you've never logged in from before)?

Comment

I rarely go to the other site albeit there is some good stuff there. I like that each site has there own focus. All information is good and helpful.
                          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Well said

Comment

Maybe it is an old cookie that is causing problems? Perhaps try deleting your cookies (or logging in from a browser or computer you've never logged in from before)?
                              I had tried all of the above with no luck. Kyler ended up PMing me and giving me a temporary password and I was able to sign in successfully. I reset my password once I got it. Since then everything has been working fine but we'll see what happens in another year!
                              CL50 #506
                              ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...

Comment

Working...
                              X