Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number 1 Camp Steam Boiler (Watson's East Triangle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number 1 Camp Steam Boiler (Watson's East Triangle)

Does anyone have any information if the old steam boiler or any of the buildings still exist?

From the DEC:
    The entire management unit has a long history of lumbering. At the site of the Old Number 1 Camp are the remains of a sawmill and associated buildings. There is also an old steam boiler which was used to power the sawmill. The boiler, which weighed nearly 16 tons, was brought to the area by T.B. Basselin, a prominent early lumberman. As the timber supply within one area became depleted the boiler was relocated and another mill constructed. A wooden dam exists on the West Branch of the Oswegatchie River creating Mud Pond.
    (emphasis added)

Yeah, the boiler and small local pond dam are still there. No buildings left standing.I have some photos somewhere from about 5 years ago. I'll try to find them later today.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

No joy on the photos?

Comment

Found them!
          Attached Files
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Very cool. Thank you! God, I'm such a geek.

Comment

Interesting, and where is this located? Never heard of it before
              "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
              ~Herbert Hoover

Comment

Originally posted by Northcountryman View Post
                Interesting, and where is this located? Never heard of it before
                The Watson's East Triangle Complex includes approximately 43,000 acres of Forest Preserve and conservation easement lands that are almost entirely within the Adirondack Park.

It's one of my favorite remote areas to explore by bushwack using only map and compass.

Comment

oh ok, Western slope--got it.
                  "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
                  ~Herbert Hoover

Comment

Originally posted by Northcountryman View Post
                    oh ok, Western slope--got it.
                    Not many slopes of much significance in the area. Which makes it most interesting to navigate by compass and visual terrain observation.

Comment

Is this an historic object to be preserved or trash to be removed?

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
                        Is this an historic object to be preserved or trash to be removed?
                        Depends on your perspective.

If you hold companies to the same standard that you do an individual... they carried it in, they can carry it out.

Comment

Just try to hold any originial company to that standard now. I've heard it unofficially said that, if you come across artifacts that are 50 or more years old, then they are to be preserved as historically valuable. Newer stuff is trash to be removed.There are tons and tons of those old dumps and abandoned machinery out there from logging years long past.

Comment

Oh for sure - who knows if they are still in business. They "should have" been held responsible.

That chunk of iron is probably not hurting much though. Other "junk" left, not-so-much (not really much of an issue in the ADKs though, thankfully).

Comment

I wonder if the 50 years has anything to do with APA formation and when this kind of thing would have started to be regulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X