No announcement yet.

The Disappearance of Douglas Legg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gray ghost: that was 1993, a dozen years being a long time in terms of recent advancements in DNA technology. But i am going strictly from memory; someone in the parking lot may have been able to tell immediately that it was a deer bone. I cant remember exactly how it played out. But I do know that its discovery did prompt a major refocus on Legg and that island in Newcomb Lake.

adkdremn: didn't mean to dangle bait, but this "discovery" was a project someone had been working on. On state land. Nothing all the exciting. But imagine this person's surprise when 20 rangers decide to start a grid search a hundred yards from said "project."

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Ghost
      I don't have the books here, but I think so.

Gray Ghost I just took a look at your web site. It has a nice look. I noticed you had a reference to Jim Goodwin. How is he doing? About a year ago, the last I heard of him, he was doing poorly a friend reported he was in bad health. As I lost his address could not get a hold of him.

Comment

Hans, that book is definitely a good idea. I find historical books fascinating. The more in depth, the better. That way the odds of the topic being thoroughly researched is better. Barbara McMartin's books are exemplary on this matter.

Now for your SAR book- great idea. Many people, including myself, read Tony Goodwin's accident report section first when the Adirondac magazine comes out. HIs analysis of the situation is very educational. Most accidents seem to come about from a group getting separated and/or not being prepared to spend a night out in the woods.

Sign me up for a copy!
        Last edited by Boreal Chickadee; 12-20-2005, 12:18 AM.
        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
        It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Okay!

I spoke to a few people this afternoon and they all agreed with all of you.

So I started in on the "Pilot Chapter" this afternoon.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the inspiration and support!
          Hans
          "Come to the Forest, where the other you lives!"

Comment

Trailpatrol's book

" would you buy ... " - ?!
            Of course I would . There are hundreds active members only on this Forum . If 10% .. And libraries ...
            That "historic" matirial is inalienably "instructional" too .
            Good luck !

Comment

This story has long interested and saddened me. I was wondering if anyone had any info. or theories as to what might have happened. I'm especially interested in those who remember the ordeal, or are familiar with the Santanoni/Newcomb area.-GG
              When I was certified in the DEC Wildlands Search Course many years ago, we discussed this story and I never forgot it. To this day when the topic comes up with some of my DEC friends (usually during another search), it is obviously frustrating as one of their few unsolved lost person mysteries.

An interesting bit of trivia... if you know how string is laid out during a type-3 search... 600 miles of it were strung out in this case. In the years since I recall numerous times when somebody found something they claimed to belong to the boy, but nothing ever came of it.
              Last edited by Wldrns; 12-20-2005, 08:18 AM.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Antler, I just got a xmas card from him (as you probably read on my blog). Jim was doing well in May '05 when my wife and I stumbled upon his home/camp. The details of this incident will soon be posted on my blog. Thanks for the compliments. Basically, it is just a little blog i started until i get my own site off the ground in early '06. It's ironic that Hans brought up writing a book, because in addition to my ADK journal, it will be a resource/info page for my fiction.
                http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trail patrol
                  ...a book about search, rescue and survival (historic, not instructional) in the Adirondacks? I know there are similar books about Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. Do you think there would be much interest in a "niche" title like that? I know people buy books about fire towers (Heck, I even bought one when I was back there.) but?

I keep saying "Some day I'm going to write a book." Maybe it's time to put my MS-Word where my mouth is and do it, particularly while guys like Pete Fish, Gary Hodges, Dave Ames, Ed Pierce, Jim Lord, (all rangers) Jim Suffolk, Ike Parkhurst (NYSP bloodhound handlers) Don Arner, Huey Parrow, Chuck Blount, (SAR volunteers) Dick Matzell and Hilary Leblanc (ECOs) are still alive to tell the stories.

Maybe it's time for me to come back home.

Hans
                  I think books about SAR "incidents" would be a great idea. Not just for the story about how someone was found or recovered, but WHY they had to be searched for in the first place. The reason they were lost...

In listening to many people, seeing people prepare for hiking and reading some of the posts from time to time, I see so many "little" things that are scoffed at, often by experienced hikers.

I often think that they feel that"other people" got lost because of something major or sheer ignorance. I would guess that to be true maybe 2% of the time. The other times is because of "little" things that went wrong, or poor decisions being made.

No one PLANS on getting lost or in trouble and usually the major things are always covered. it's always the "little thing" that got someone lost......or killed.

So I think that many of those stories Ned to be told, with emphasis on the REASON, as well as the result.
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Antler, I just got a xmas card from him (as you probably read on my blog). Jim was doing well in May '05 when my wife and I stumbled upon his home/camp. The details of this incident will soon be posted on my blog. Thanks for the compliments. Basically, it is just a little blog i started until i get my own site off the ground in early '06. It's ironic that Hans brought up writing a book, because in addition to my ADK journal, it will be a resource/info page for my fiction.
                    Thanks I am glad to hear that Jim is a very special person.

Comment

Do it Hans!
                      I'll give it to all my friends Christmas. I think books are the best gifts.

Off the subject..... Being from the Southwestern ADK's I had never heard the Lake Placid Story "Lady in the Lake".
                      Well, I stumbled upon the book this summer ( I'm a local library junkie) all about the Lady in the lake. I was mesmerized! I had to read everything on the story.
                      I read old police reports, newspaper article and even information from the womens university ( where she served as Dean).
                      Does anyone have any insight into the investigation?

I love mystery books--- what other mystery books are out there set in the Adirondacks?
                      I know the American Tragedy! I have read literally EVERYTHING on the Big Moose Murder. If anyone has questions about that one- feel free to e-mail me. I've been obsessed with that story since I was 10.
                      I found out when I was 10, that Chester Gillette ran through my backyard to escape the police. I have been obseesed ever since.

So, does anyone know of any other books? Thanks.
                      Jules of Eagle Bay

Comment

I met a man this past summer from northern Lewis county that had first hand knoledge of this , and we discussed it at great length as I am old enough to remember this. There was also an article in the Watertown Newspaper that had a serial twist to it. My friend was on the search teams looking also. there are also stories of someone missing south of marcy dam. They got lost off the ski trail that runs from loj towards South Meadow. We traversed the same trail 2 years ago and it's tricky when there is no snow the river can turn you around if you don't know the trail.
                        We were put here for a predetermined number of days, he doesn't take away the days you spend in the Adirondacks with boys. Jim Seaton

Comment

This story is told to the new search and rescue members joining the team by the rangers. This incident started the offical calling ,by the Governor for the rangers to start search teams. There was much confusion and no real people in charge. Many people showing up, went out on their own and got lost also. This is a sad story which we can learn from today. Lew (searchteam 5-1)

Comment

To trail patrol... To those interested we are having the basic course taught on the 6th and 7th of may at the wilderness lodge in benson N.Y. We are members of the state federation of search teams. Our team (5-1) was started in the 80's as a explorier post and expanded to what it is today. We have had as many as over 100 members at one point and were considered to be the largest group at one time.
                            The Legg case has been taught by the rangers and us as the start of the search teams and the governors decision to have Rangers handle missing people in the wilderness. If you know anyone interested in joining and taking the basic course please call me at 518 725 2965. Lew Decker

Comment

SAR in NYS

Back when I was a boy....okay, late teens and early 20s, I was there at the very start of the Federation. Guys who had been on the Legg search like Chuck Blount and Huey Parrow from the Pioneers, the Youseys from Boonville and Doug Wilson, Bill Korbel and myself from Tompkins County (now Wilderness SAR in N. Syracuse) plus there were teams from Jefferson County, the Adirondack Mountain Club and the ever-elusive Adirondack Rescue Dog Association. I think it was early in 1973, in the Civil Defense meeting room in Oswego. That fall, Tompkins hosted the first Federation field training exercise. I was the one who invented the term "ComFed" (Combined Federation Field Training Exercise) I am an honorary life member of Wilderness SAR, and actually helped them out at an event last year when I was in New York on vacation.

Here in Minnesota, I am a state park ranger, and a volunteer mountain bike patroller. When I was back last year, I rode all around the Old Forge area where I spent my early years in the Adks.

Good luck with your training. I know Wilderness is holding an advanced SAR class in September. Go to www.wsar.org for more info.

Press on,

Hans
                              Last edited by Trailpatrol; 04-24-2006, 05:51 PM.
                              "Come to the Forest, where the other you lives!"

Comment

Unless hosted by a local state team the fall conference will no longer be called Comfed. We are in a joint conference with Pennsylvania and New jersey called the tristate conference. I'm involved with the federation as I represent our team as the president. Have been a crew leader for some time and have a search dog. The federation has passed tough certifcation rules for the usage of dogs, which I'm almost at the end of. Hope to meet you sometime in the future. Lew Decker Team 5-1

Comment

Working...
                                X