Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Weird Experiences

Anyone care to share a few weird experiences that they may have had in the Adirondacks?

I know this topic has been kicked around on this forum over the past couple years, and I have a quick little true story to tell that happened to me this past weekend that seemed pretty weird to me.
I did do a quick search, but I couldn't find the right thread to post it in, so I'll just start a new one here.
Please feel free to share your thoughts or stories!

This past weekend (Columbus Day Weekend) I decided to do a quick over-night backpack trip with my dog to Cedar Lakes in the West Canadas to do some more exploring that I didn't get the chance to do the last couple times I was through that area.
On my way in and up the trail from the Pillsbury Mtn trailhead, I stopped to take a quick little break near the "3 miles out" trail marker, when a party of 3 guys passed me on their way out.
My dog Jenny, gets a bit excited when she sees other people, so I did my best to keep her calm, and we all said hello, and the 3 guys let me know that the first lean-to was open.
I said "Thanks guys" and continued up the trail.
Only a couple minutes later, Jenny is up ahead on the trail a ways and out of sight, still super-hyper-excited that we saw people, and I heard her BARK at something!

I quickly yelled for her to come "NOW", which she did, and I looked up to see what she may have been barking at.
As I figured it might be, I saw what look liked 1 or 2 guys coming down the trail towards me. It was still kind of dark out and shadowy and tough to see, but the lead guy looked like an older gentleman wearing one of those old fashion "Indiana Jones" type hats.

It was difficult to see clearly, because I was still a little ways down the trail yet (maybe 50-60 yrds), and I was looking through the trees and leaves, but I'm sure that I saw 1, maybe 2 people, and they saw me, at the very least they saw and heard my dog bark at them!
Anyway, when I got a little closer and came out of the trees and leaves that were in my line of sight, I didn't see anybody!
I didn't think anything of it, and figured maybe they just sat down and are waiting for us to pass, and I still just can't see them yet.

I was trying to keep a close eye on my dog and kept telling her to "Stay" at my side (since I forgot to pack her leash), but I also tried to keep an eye on where abouts these people might be.
But when we finally got up to where I first saw them, there was nobody around!

I looked up in the woods, uphill, downhill, behind me, ahead of me, but no one!

I didn't think too much of it at that time, and just continued up the trail, figuring maybe it was just a hunter or 2 that wanted no part of me and my crazy dog, so they just decided to quickly hide.
Which I guess is possible, but it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me!
Why would someone hide?
And if they did, where the heck did they go?
I wasn't that far away, and I didn't see anyone running off into the woods!

So, the whole thing started to weigh on my mind a bit throughout the weekend, given where I was headed that day and what I wanted to explore, and given who used to live up in this neck of woods a long time ago!

Well, long story short...
I'm not quite sure what exactly happened on the trail there, but I did get to explore what I set out to, and then some!
And when I got home on Sunday, I pulled out that ol' favorite book from my library and started to thumb through it again, and there he was staring back at me with that hat on!

(More photos from the trip HERE)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (26.1 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by Justin; 10-14-2009 at 06:47 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
dundee

Yup, it was Louie & Colvin debating Dems v Republicans!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
MDL23

Louie da' boy!
MDL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
paddlewheel

I had more or less a strange experience myself this past weekend. My daughter, Shannon & myself decided to get up early on Sunday & go tackle Colvin & possibly Blake. It was a drizzly, overcast, windy & cold day & by the time we got to the summit of Colvin we both ageed that was enough for one day....Blake would just have to wait 'til next time.

Right about the time we were finishing our lunch and getting ready to head down these two guys showed up. They seemed pretty friendly, and they appeared to be making some fast tracks.(trail runners or just some greased lightning hikers) and they wanted us to get some pics of them. They said they were going to go on to Blake & we said adios & started to climb down.

Right before we got to the AMR road, by Gill Brook one of them had caught up with us while we were taking a break. He small talked for a minute or so, said the trail to Blake was steep & messy and lickedy split he was gone. He seemed kind of nervous & jerky and in a real hurry...I asked him where his buddy was & he just said back a ways & then he was gone. We sat there for a while just chilling out by the stream but we never seen any sign of the other guy...even after we more or less lollygagged our way along the road to the parking area.....Just seemed like a strange deal to me.....Didn't see any sign of the 1st guy in the lot either..I hope one wasn't teaching the other to fly up there....

Good story there, Justin ....you never know what's gonna happen out there...that's what makes it interesting.....By 'da holy feeeesh!!!!!!!

Last edited by paddlewheel; 10-16-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Interesting stories both Justin and Paddlewheel.

What goes through your mind when these things happen? Especially when you are by yourself. Do you get creeped out or do you just put these thoughts out of your mind?

I often hike alone and notice that things that might look like people from a distance upon closer inspection are just part of the terrain. Also at times I hear sounds that at first sound like they might be another hiker but turn out to just be sounds from the natural enviromment.

In the past I have found that when I am alone in the woods my mind can play tricks on me. Out of necessity I suppose I have gotten better at ignoring these thoughts. Have you had similar experiences?
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I think I might have told this story before, but i don't remember.
While hunting deer many years ago near Fishing Brook Mt. I was sitting on a log on the edge of a snow covered spruce swamp. It was truly a picture postcard view with everything covered with a good layer of snow.
Sitting quietly waiting for the elusive whitetail I had to blink, and rub my eyes. Everything seemed to be moving. Well the vision faded and I wrote the hallucination off to the lingering effects of Wild Turkey from the night before.
A few days later,back in civilization, I heard on the radio about the earthquake that had occured the past weekend. There ya go...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Dunbar
Unfathomable Intellect.

I had a weird experience. I hiked with a guy from this forum...can't remember the name. I think it rhymed with eel?

Yeah, talk about weird...
Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Neil
Admin

I met a homeless person begging in the Sawtooth Range. (I gave him an M&M).
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlewheel View Post
We sat there for a while just chilling out by the stream but we never seen any sign of the other guy...even after we more or less lollygagged our way along the road to the parking area.....Just seemed like a strange deal to me.....Didn't see any sign of the 1st guy in the lot either..I hope one wasn't teaching the other to fly up there....
I'm pretty sure I saw their post of the trail run over on ADKHighpeaks...including post-hike pictures back at the TH. So maybe he was just intent on getting back first.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
paddlewheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starzero View Post

What goes through your mind when these things happen? Especially when you are by yourself. Do you get creeped out or do you just put these thoughts out of your mind?

I often hike alone and notice that things that might look like people from a distance upon closer inspection are just part of the terrain. Also at times I hear sounds that at first sound like they might be another hiker but turn out to just be sounds from the natural enviromment.

In the past I have found that when I am alone in the woods my mind can play tricks on me. Out of necessity I suppose I have gotten better at ignoring these thoughts. Have you had similar experiences?
Once when I ate the wrong kind of mushrooms I swore I saw Jim Morrison paddling a purple "sports-pal" on Cheney Pond.

Last edited by paddlewheel; 10-16-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
starzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlewheel View Post
Once when I ate the wrong kind of mushrooms I swore I saw Jim Morrison paddling a purple "sports-pal" on Cheney Pond.

Are you sure it was Jim?

Once when I ate the wrong kind of mushrooms I swore I found myself paddling a purple "sports-pal" on Cheney Pond and I saw a guy named Paddlewheel.

Strange days have found us
Strange days have tracked us down
Theyre going to destroy
Our casual joys
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by starzero View Post

starzero: Did you ever read ''The Appalachan Trail"? On CD too. Hikers in all walks of life are out there. Strange as well as honorable.Yes,our mind can deceive us as we think something is there,in the trees. I like your insight. Looncry
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
starzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
starzero: Did you ever read ''The Appalachan Trail"? On CD too. Hikers in all walks of life are out there. Strange as well as honorable.
Thanks looncry, I have never read the Appalachian Trail but now that you mention it Im interested and will certainly look it up.

All this reminds me of a story my grandfather told me when I was very young. As a teenager in the earlier part of the 20th century he had worked in a logging camp in Minnesota. One night he was returning to camp by himself in the woods. He told me that he heard footsteps behind him and started to get scared. Trying to get away he started running going faster and faster into the night. Exhausted he finally stopped thinking that whoever or whatever was after him could just get him. However he noticed at the same time that the sounds behind him had stopped as well. He suddenly came to the realization that all that time the noises that he feared were his own.

Years later while in college I had a job working as a security guard in an office building in midtown Manhattan. I often worked the midnight to 8 shift on weekends. The building that I had to walk through was dark and creepy at these times. For protection guards would sometimes carry a club. Well one night at about 3AM I was walking down this long dark hallway and at the end of the hallway I saw this guy. He was big and looked kind of mean and appeared to be carrying some sort of weapon. I nearly jumped out of my skin and tried to hide. After less than a minute I got my courage up and peeked back down the hall but no one seemed to be there. As I investigated more I realized that there was a large mirror at the end of the hall and the menacing guy that I saw was in fact me.

Famous quote from POGO We have met the enemy and it is we