Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
rbi99

Hopkins Mt

Am I allowed to drive onto Ranney Rd and park at the trailhead to Hopkins? Do people have a preference regarding going to Hopkins via Ranney or Mossy in regards to views along the trails? Also, all things being nearly equal, I always prefer the path least traveled. I am coming up from Cleveland on 5/22 for a week and I most definitely want to summit this peak. I assume I will need my mosquito netting hat. I need to choose one trail or the other since I will have my dog with me, and while she would obviously be leashed, I don't want to walk along 73 with her.

Last edited by rbi99; 05-09-2021 at 09:14 AM..
rbi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
TCD

Am I allowed to drive onto Ranney Rd and park at the trailhead to Hopkins?

>No, definitely not. Ranney Way is a private road; you can walk it, but not drive in and park. And it's a pretty short, easy walk from Roostercomb parking.

Do people have a preference regarding going to Hopkins via Ranney or Mossy in regards to views along the trails?

>There are more lookouts with views along the Mossy Cascade trail; not too many views along the Ranney trail.

Also, all things being nearly equal, I always prefer the path least traveled.

>Most of the traffic is on Mossy Cascade; not too many people use Ranney.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
MTVhike

If you can find parking along the road near the Mossy Cascade, use it, otherwise park at Roostercomb and hike Ranney. I've only hike Ranney once, one way, as part of a loop starting up on Mossy Cascade. Good hike if you have a group with two cars.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Hear the Footsteps

Mossy Cascade can be a pretty nice waterfall. And as I recall the base is near the trail. That is no steep down climbing. Although I’m many years beyond my waterfall hiking. It might be on a list; so, that means it may show signs of wear and tear.
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
TCD

Mossy Cascade trail is actually in pretty good shape. It was rerouted (maybe 20 years ago?) so that it no longer "hangs on the bank" just above the falls. Today's trail makes a nice right turn and has a couple switchbacks.

There is no longer a marked "spur" to the bottom of the falls. But if you want to see the falls, just stay along the brook when the trail leaves the brook, and it's only a short distance.

Past the falls, Mossy Cascade trail also has a few nice lookouts in various directions. Of course the "prize" view is from Hopkins Summit; very nice wide open rock view.

Last edited by TCD; 05-09-2021 at 09:53 PM..
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
tgoodwin

The Ranney Trail is definitely the "path less traveled" and it is shorter but lacks the waterfall option and the early views.

There is no longer a spur trail to Mossy Cascade because several floods in the 1990s pretty much wiped out most of the soil next to the brook. Once the approach became mostly a rock hop, it did not seem that it should be considered a marked trail.

Finally, while you know your dog, the leash law does not apply to the Giant Mountain Wilderness Area in which Hopkins is located.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #7
rbi99

I mentioned leashing her while near the road. Parking at Rooster Comb requires crossing the road, and if I did a loop I would be walking alongside 73 which I didn't want to do even with her leashed. Don't want to get into a dog debate, but I have probably hiked over 15,000 miles during my adult life with dogs (live long enough and you can come up with big numbers too!!!), and my present girl is far and away the best hiker I have ever had the honor of hiking with. Trail manners, staying by me, loving every second of her hikes, up to any challenge, and she always lets me know how grateful she is to be out hiking with me.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
MTVhike

The traffic along 73 isn't that bad, and I think that's within the 35 mph zone. It's only about 500 feet from the Ranney trailhead to the Roostercomb PA.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote