Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
rbi99

River Walk

Coming up late next week for six nights. Already plan on doing Hopkins along the Ranney Trail and perhaps a second peak later in the week. Would really appreciate any suggestions for a walk along a river or larger brook. I will have my dog with me, but of all the dogs I have hiked with - and I have hiked with a good number of them - she is easily the best of the lot. I'd like to keep it within 10 miles rt if possible, and the fewer people around the better. All of my climbing and hiking will be done during the week, probably use the weekend to drive around some. I'm staying at Art Devlin's, but I certainly don't mind having to drive to get anywhere.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's a bit shorter and also a bit of a drive, but The Branch comes to mind, on the south side of the High Peaks. Where it crosses Blue Ridge Road there is a small parking lot on the north side of the road that serves The Branch and the north end of the Hoffman Notch Trail. It's a pleasant rock for several miles up what was a logging road until the recent purchase of the area by the state along with Boreas Ponds. Some really nice spots along the stream to sit and hang out and enjoy the scenery. I've never seen more than 1 or 2 vehicles parked at the trailhead lot.

I know there's some herd paths (not official nor maintained trails) along the Chub River, north of Averyville Lane, but I've yet to have a chance to check them out. (Unfortunately, the Northville Placid Trail stays well away from the Chub River and has very few views of the river despite paralleling it for several miles).

It's more a bog than a stream/river, but the Bloomingdale Bog Trail in Saranac Lake might be a good option. It's a very flat (old railroad grade) and pleasant hike through a beautiful and expansive bog. Usually some good opportunities to see wildlife too (birds especially).

Another possibility is the trail to Raquette Falls from the Stony Creek access. It's also set back up off the river but has some opportunities to see the river via overlooks and side trails. And if you've never been to Raquette Falls, that's worth the visit- and the "scenic trail" that follows the river closer along the falls itself was significantly rehabbed a few years ago. If you hike all the way to the head of the falls and back to Stony Creek I believe the total distance is just about 10 miles roundtrip. The Raquette Falls area can be pretty crowded in the summer (Long Lake to The Crusher is a popular itinerary for summer camp groups) but it should be quiet still this early in the season.

The trail along the east shore of Floodwood Pond and Fish Creek has some nice views of the ponds along the way in addition to Fish Creek itself. If you're OK with a mile or so of road walking on Floodwood Rd you can turn this into a loop by swinging back north along Horseshoe and Pollywog Ponds.

The High Falls trail over in Wanakena has some nice view of the Oswegatchie River along the way, but you have to hike about 3 miles before you actually get to the river. High Rock could be a good turn around point for about a 7 mile round trip hike.

There is also the trail along the Oswegatchie River connecting Inlet with Wanakena. This is apparently a fairly active section of the river with lots of rapids- and the trail also serves as a portage trail for those trying to connect the Upper Oswegatchie with Cranberry Lake for longer paddle routes. But I've yet to actually hike it myself so I'm not sure if it's worth the hike or not.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
Riosacandaga
soggy

East Stoney Creek at the end of Hope Falls road. Or start at the end of Harrisburg road on the east side.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
rbi99

DS, are you suggesting heading up Branch or crossing the road and taking Hoffman Notch?

Last edited by rbi99; 05-14-2021 at 09:24 PM..
rbi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
DS, are you suggesting heading up Branch or crossing the road and taking Hoffman Notch?
Sorry, yeah, heading north up along The Branch. The old logging road follows the stream pretty closely for a mile or so. Once it veers away from the stream for good it's not really worth continuing on (if you did it dead ends at a gate on the property line with the Elk Lake parcel).

At some point IIRC, a network of mountain bike trails is planned for this area but at present there's basically just the old logging road only.

Although the hike south into the Hoffman Notch Wilderness is nice also. It crosses Sand Pond Brook, passes through some bottomlands ecosystem, then starts up along Hoffman Notch Brook. And you'd find solitude there for sure- hardly anyone ever hikes the Hoffman Notch Trail.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
rbi99

Stoney Creek looks interesting, thanks.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It's a bit shorter and also a bit of a drive, but The Branch comes to mind, on the south side of the High Peaks. Where it crosses Blue Ridge Road there is a small parking lot on the north side of the road that serves The Branch and the north end of the Hoffman Notch Trail. It's a pleasant rock for several miles up what was a logging road until the recent purchase of the area by the state along with Boreas Ponds. Some really nice spots along the stream to sit and hang out and enjoy the scenery. I've never seen more than 1 or 2 vehicles parked at the trailhead lot.

I know there's some herd paths (not official nor maintained trails) along the Chub River, north of Averyville Lane, but I've yet to have a chance to check them out. (Unfortunately, the Northville Placid Trail stays well away from the Chub River and has very few views of the river despite paralleling it for several miles).

It's more a bog than a stream/river, but the Bloomingdale Bog Trail in Saranac Lake might be a good option. It's a very flat (old railroad grade) and pleasant hike through a beautiful and expansive bog. Usually some good opportunities to see wildlife too (birds especially).

Another possibility is the trail to Raquette Falls from the Stony Creek access. It's also set back up off the river but has some opportunities to see the river via overlooks and side trails. And if you've never been to Raquette Falls, that's worth the visit- and the "scenic trail" that follows the river closer along the falls itself was significantly rehabbed a few years ago. If you hike all the way to the head of the falls and back to Stony Creek I believe the total distance is just about 10 miles roundtrip. The Raquette Falls area can be pretty crowded in the summer (Long Lake to The Crusher is a popular itinerary for summer camp groups) but it should be quiet still this early in the season.

The trail along the east shore of Floodwood Pond and Fish Creek has some nice views of the ponds along the way in addition to Fish Creek itself. If you're OK with a mile or so of road walking on Floodwood Rd you can turn this into a loop by swinging back north along Horseshoe and Pollywog Ponds.

The High Falls trail over in Wanakena has some nice view of the Oswegatchie River along the way, but you have to hike about 3 miles before you actually get to the river. High Rock could be a good turn around point for about a 7 mile round trip hike.

There is also the trail along the Oswegatchie River connecting Inlet with Wanakena. This is apparently a fairly active section of the river with lots of rapids- and the trail also serves as a portage trail for those trying to connect the Upper Oswegatchie with Cranberry Lake for longer paddle routes. But I've yet to actually hike it myself so I'm not sure if it's worth the hike or not.
Did both Branch and part of Hoffman Notch. Though short, the creek was very nice and my dog definitely loved it. Hoffman was ok, only went a mile or so in though. That old car on its side surprised me being there. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Hoffman Notch is fantastic, but you have to get a ways in there. It's best if you can do the whole traverse, which if you are alone, can be a challenge.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote