Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #361
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
My friend has a size 14 foot You mean that doesn't count?
I wear size 14 too. I once saw a size 23 shoe. Basketball player. There is information available online and no doubt some are phony, but many are told in the witnesses own voice. "Sasquatch Chronicles" is one of many that offer experiences told by the people themselves. Interestingly those who have witnessed phenomena themselves are never quite the same because the experience shook them up so badly. Listen to a few of these accounts and you will soon hear something in their voice which may convince you that they really did encounter something which is supposed to NOT exist. But to each his own. Believe what you will. Our government lies to us so much that really anything is possible and most likely is.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #362
cityboy

I just saw a documentary on the Yeti. Despite 50 years of depicting them as white the truth is that they are very similar in color to Bigfoot. Coincidence?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #363
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I just saw a documentary on the Yeti. Despite 50 years of depicting them as white the truth is that they are very similar in color to Bigfoot. Coincidence?
I have seen many different colored coyotes. Perhaps the Yeti are like that.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #364
Buckladd

Haven't see a post on this thread in some time, so here goes....

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...wrence-county/

Last edited by Buckladd; 06-29-2021 at 08:01 PM..
Old 06-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #365
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Haven't see a post on this thread in some time, do here goes....

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...wrence-county/
Can of worms, man, can of worms.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #366
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Can of worms, man, can of worms.
Might be some truth to the "can of worms" theory because the truth may be stranger than fiction. There is a man from Washington who claims to have most of the answers to this age old query. His name is Dr. Matthew Johnson. He has written two books on this subject and I have read them both. After reading about his research I wouldn't bet against him on whether or not they exist. He has a website www.teamsquatchinusa.com which can be found on facebook.

The US government is well aware of this phenomenon and involved to the extent of their capabilities. According to Dr. Johnson there are two species of these creatures. One is benevolent and the other is malevolent. Before you scoff and "roll your eyes", you might want to look into it more. It is fascinating.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #367
wiiawiwb

Since the thread began, and certainly since the last discussion of shutting it down, the government has stopped denying the existence of UAP/UFOs. I'm sure some here got a few chuckles along the way while teasing people about little green men in their flying saucers from strange galaxies far away.

Guess what...nobody is laughing any more about UAP/UFO/USOs.

Those making fun about sasquatch may want to be mindful of that.

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 07-01-2021 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #368
Wldrns

UFOs/UAPs are exactly what the first letter indicates - "Unidentified", or "Unexplained", nothing more is implied, unless it is dreamed up. An airplane (or an insect) that I cannot specifically identify by sight is a UFO to me. Somehow the term of UFO has along the way become synonymous with extraterrestial beings in pop science fiction. While there are admittedly attributes yet to be explained in detail for many observations in nature, there is no hard scientific evidence or proof of any kind of unearthly source for UFOs or Bigfoot.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #369
wiiawiwb

Agreed that all of these are unidentified. I'm not sure who makes the call between evidence, hard evidence, and hard scientific evidence. If it is science community that makes the call, yet the scientific community does nothing to investigate or further the analysis, then by definition, there can never be any scientific evidence.

As I mentioned before, flying saucers were the subject of laughter. With the latest declassification of tik-tok videos by the Defense Department, suddenly the landscape has shifted. In a heartbeat, it's gone from the subject of a Twilight Zone episode to very serious scientific analysis.

I think the same dynamic will happen with the subject of Bigfoot.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:02 PM   #370
Wldrns

My father was once mystified (briefly) by a formation flight of bright shiny "UFOs". He was driving on a bright sunny day, descending a steep hill on a curve that he drove every day on the way to and from work. Suddenly, apparently very close, four UFO metallic objects appeared to fly in front of him, accelerating, speeding off and climbing at incredible velocity in the same direction he was headed, parallel to the road he was driving on before they suddenly simply disappeared into the distance. The sun was to his back, so visibility ahead was good. For some reason the alien craft seemed to be folllowing the high voltage power line towers that had been there for many years, maybe obtaining energy from them?

Obviously they must be metallic ships of alien origin, right? Not wanting to believe his eyes, upon further investigation he discovered that the power company had recently installed new bare aluminum power lines between the old towers. The sun was glinting from the fresh power lines angling off in such a way that the "UFO ships" appeared as sun reflections and seemed to be moving and accelerating as he rounded the curve and decended the hill on the road. Mystery solved! You just have to investigate in the right way.

My father was not formally highly educated, but he always impressed me with how thoughtful and smart he could be about the world around him.

Another time, when I was a very young budding amateur astronomer, the local weekly newspaper had an article about people seeing persistent lights moving low near the western horizon. Maybe a low flying UFO near our rural town? Of course I knew what it was. Venus was appearing in the sky in that general location, a very bright object at the time. Atmospheric refraction causes white light near the horizon to flash in different colors. In addition, The autokinetic effect (also referred to as autokinesis) is a phenomenon of visual perception in which a stationary, small point of light in an otherwise dark or featureless environment appears to move. It presumably occurs because motion perception is always relative to some reference point. I wrote the newspaper the next week explaining all of this.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-02-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Old 07-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #371
mmaute
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
Agreed that all of these are unidentified. I'm not sure who makes the call between evidence, hard evidence, and hard scientific evidence. If it is science community that makes the call, yet the scientific community does nothing to investigate or further the analysis, then by definition, there can never be any scientific evidence.

As I mentioned before, flying saucers were the subject of laughter. With the latest declassification of tik-tok videos by the Defense Department, suddenly the landscape has shifted. In a heartbeat, it's gone from the subject of a Twilight Zone episode to very serious scientific analysis.

I think the same dynamic will happen with the subject of Bigfoot.
There is no individual or group that evaluates the robustness of evidence. The Scientific Method is responsible for evaluating how sound evidence is. Evidence is presented which must then be able to be reproduced and confirmed by other Scientists. If the evidence is able to be reproduced and confirmed, the evidence is placed within the hierarchy of a working hypothesis being developed to explain a phenomena. If the evidence is not reproducible or able to be confirmed it cannot be used to support a hypothesis (at least if you believe in the Scientific Method as a way of turning the unknown into the known).

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no evidence (either in terms of Bigfoot or UAP) that is confirmable by the Scientific Method. There have been phenomena not readily explainable, but using them to prove (or disprove) a theory is premature and not aligned with how Science happens.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #372
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there has been no evidence (either in terms of Bigfoot or UAP) that is confirmable by the Scientific Method. There have been phenomena not readily explainable, but using them to prove (or disprove) a theory is premature and not aligned with how Science happens.
Thank you, mmaute.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #373
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"To the best of my knowledge, there has been no evidence (either in terms of Bigfoot or UAP) that is confirmable by the Scientific Method. There have been phenomena not readily explainable, but using them to prove (or disprove) a theory is premature and not aligned with how Science happens."

The "Ostrich Theory" does have longevity, but eventually is replaced by the truth. Unfortunately it rambles about needlessly until one experiences phenomena for themselves. Then they displace the "Ostrich Theory" Of course, some folks are greatly disturbed by what they experience until they find acceptance. Others are so threatened by the possibility that they run from its reality.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #374
Wldrns

Who is to say what is the "truth"? Those who experience phenomena too easily claim they have "the truth". My father in his experience above could have easily without questioning claimed what he saw was the truth and gone on with life believing in invading flying saucers full of aliens from another galaxy, thinking everyone else not in line was a stiupid nonbeliever. But he didn't go that way.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #375
mmaute
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
The "Ostrich Theory" does have longevity, but eventually is replaced by the truth. Unfortunately it rambles about needlessly until one experiences phenomena for themselves. Then they displace the "Ostrich Theory" Of course, some folks are greatly disturbed by what they experience until they find acceptance. Others are so threatened by the possibility that they run from its reality.
There is no "Ostrich Theory" when it comes to the Scientific Method. The Scientific Method is an objective philosophy used to turn the unknown into the known. The Scientific Method is not influenced by emotion, opinion, belief, personal experience, etc. - that's the beauty of it. The Scientific Method does not care if Bigfoot or extra-terrestrial life exists or not, it's merely a philosophy used to try and understand that which we don't know. The argument that people are un-objective and may influence attempts to employ the Scientific Method certainly have merit. That's why it's critical that the steps of the Scientific Method be followed exactingly and be reproducible by others.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:04 PM   #376
ILikeRocks

Disclaimer: I am a high school science teacher

If this was brought up in one of my classes I would encourage a student to design an experiment to collect some verifiable evidence. I would suggest they ask family and friends if they can borrow trail cameras to monitor suspected active locations. Record your methods and notes meticulously. Search for any peer reviewed research that has been done to this point.

Once the data is collected, analyze it and present your results and any conclusions.

This is the scientific method and it can be practiced by anyone, there is no scientific method society that has the say in what experiments can be conducted.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #377
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post

If this was brought up in one of my classes I would encourage a student to design an experiment to collect some verifiable evidence. I would suggest they ask family and friends if they can borrow trail cameras to monitor suspected active locations. Record your methods and notes meticulously. Search for any peer reviewed research that has been done to this point.

Once the data is collected, analyze it and present your results and any conclusions.

This is the scientific method and it can be practiced by anyone, there is no scientific method society that has the say in what experiments can be conducted.
True - the "science" becomes more acceptable as "fact" as more and more people review and more and more data fits the explanation. That's the danger of people who are uneducated about science and are quick to point the finger at "the latest study says THIS", which is then wrong a week later. First, most of those kind of things are not true science in terms of rigorous collections methods and controlling, or at least understanding variables - often times in reality controlling too many variables takes away what is actually happening i.e. lab rats vs real rats in the real world. Also those have yet to be thoroughly peer reviewed and replicated. New science is this way but "old" science is subject to revision as well.

But really the most dangerous thing of all is our assumptions of linearity of systems and that testing one thing alone and adding up the components gives us the complex behavior. Only the case for reductionist systems which give us the principle of superposition. It just so happens a lot of stuff you can get away with looking at it like this. We base all our engineering on it. But nature doesn't. Nature isn't linear. It's fractal. It's chaotic. The result of any given state depends on what the previous state was. It's extremely hard to predict unless you know exactly where you are. And reducing it into simpler systems does not always give the answers of why things function the way they do i.e. they are not superimposable.

That's way more than most people can handle, but something we always should think about. We like to blame limitations in our measurements for explaining error but in more recent years it's been understood that errors come from nature behaving the way it behaves regardless of us trying to reduce it into simper entities that fit our old way of doing science. A lot of this also came from the paradigm shift that the universe was created and that humans had some innate understanding of the "designed" clockwork of nature behaving like we would design something. Such is not the case.

Hopefully future generations will be wiser and really grasp these ideas.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:09 PM   #378
montcalm
Mobster

Also be aware that as a single source (any single source no matter how good they are) is subject to bias.

A lot of what I have seen presented for things like Big Foot and Ancient Aliens has some data that may fit the theory, but they often leave out a pretty big side of the argument that, to most, would simply negate anything else presented. Case in point: Pyramids of Giza. Presented a certain way, they certainly do seem an impossible feat of engineering, especially just looking at size, certain features, raison d'etre, etc... But presented in historical context of human structural engineering they are perfectly adequate structures for humans of that time. They use very primitive structural engineering and there is a record of failed or abandoned pyramids before and up the Giza pyramids that show a complete blueprint of the trials they had getting to making the "great" ones. They just happened to be bigger and a slight bit more refined than the older ones. Why would any superior race come to this planet and build with quarry stone using building techniques that we now teach to toddlers? To me, look wherever else you want, but that simple thought experiment coupled with the data negates any crazy alien theories.

Disclaimer: I truly believe that we must not be unique in this universe - but that's just a belief. It has nothing to do with scientific knowledge which we may or may not be able to confirm even if it did exist. But we don't have any good evidence yet.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #379
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Who is to say what is the "truth"? Those who experience phenomena too easily claim they have "the truth". My father in his experience above could have easily without questioning claimed what he saw was the truth and gone on with life believing in invading flying saucers full of aliens from another galaxy, thinking everyone else not in line was a stiupid nonbeliever. But he didn't go that way.
Paul,
I have much respect for you and admire your accomplishments, so I am not going to belittle you in any way. But MY experience has been different. I know some things that you do not because I have experienced some different things which you have not. Our government lies to us a great deal. They know much more than they tell us. You could use an imagination in very creative ways and you wouldn't be far from what really does happen. I happen to be in a position to know some things that most people do not know and I am willing to share them with you through PM if you are interested. Whether you are or not I wish you Peace and Goodness.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:47 PM   #380
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post

These are solid steps to follow to discover facts and interesting theories I have scientific education also and am an inventor. There is much anecdotal information available on both topics which can motivate one to conduct their own research. Unfortunately, trail cameras have produced very little evidence for a very good reason. These "creatures" are much smarter than you think. But strive on and collect your data to form your own opinions.