Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
gearhead
Adk 46er #9946

JBL parking

Hello everyone, I am taking my sons up to climb Gothics at the end of September. We will be arriving on Sunday and leaving on Tuesday. We have reserved a lean to at JBL just to make things easier on me as far as planning goes. My question is Iím assuming the garden parking lot will be full. What is my alternative to the garden? If you have a reservation at JBL do you get to park in a certain area? I havenít been to the garden in a couple years so Iím trying to nail down the details. We will not be arriving until the afternoon on Sunday.
Thanks
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Sunday afternoons are more of a question of when, not if, spots will be available. Day hikers and the weekend crowd will be coming out of the woods as the day wanes so spots will definitely open up at some point even if the lot is full during the day. I'd anticipate that you may not be able to get as early a start as you'd like and plan accordingly, but otherwise I'd not really worry too much about parking at the Garden with a Sunday afternoon start.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
Wldrns

Just be sure to have a couple of good lights each, in case you have to hike after sundown due to late parking availability. Celll phone lights don't count.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
tenderfoot

One option would be the Klondike Notch trail. Park at the Meadows (not exactly uncrowded either). It is a longer hike, has more elevation and I have this as a backup plan on paper - never hiked it.

I think with some patience the Garden will work out but if you like hiking, exploring, and want a nice warm-up hike...
Old 09-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
tenderfoot

Also, our last time we were shut out and the shuttle was an option that was GREAT!

https://www.townofkeeneny.com/hiker-...e-information/
Old 09-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
MTVhike

If you use the shuttle to get to the Garden, realize that it only runs on weekends, so you'll have to find another way back to your car on a Tuesday. If you get to the Garden on a Sunday afternoon and it's full, you probably could just wait awhile for someone to leave.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote