Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
terryajADK

Phelps 1/11/12

CLICK FOR PICTURES

I started hiking from the Adirondack Loj Trailhead at about 8:30 am. I originally started to climb Algonquin and made it into the birch forest past the Whales Tale Ski Trail but my glasses kept fogging up and they would not stay clear. It got to a point where it was throwing off my depth perception and I had to stop every few minutes to clear them off. After some contemplation I decided to turn around since I had already summited Algonquin back in October. I figured I would head to Marcy Dam and do some exploring since I hadn't been there before.

After arriving at Marcy Dam I checked out the hurricane Irene damage and took a look at the lean-to next to the trail(looked like someone had a small illegal fire there the night before). Since it was a very clear day and there was plenty of daylight, I decided to head to Phelps.

I quickly got to the Phelps junction and headed up. There was some ice on the trail but it was mostly covered by hard packed snow, making traction very good. At higher elevation there were a few steep icy pitches that were a bit harder to get up. As I neared the summit the snow got a little deeper but the trail was well packed in. On the summit there were a few deep drifts in the wooded area but there wasn't much snow on the open rock.

Views from the summit were amazing. It was bright, and there was barely any wind. I can see why this mountain was named for Old Mountain Phelps : The view of Mount Marcy (the mountain he loved) was simply amazing. Marcy was just sitting there in all her glory pushing upward toward the clouds like a great temple given to us by the mountain Gods. The views of Colden and the Macs were also amazing.

Another great day in the High Peaks. Microspikes all day. Mileage: Probably about 10 with the backtracking from Algonquin.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Buckshot

funny snowman...

Tags
adirondacks, high peaks wilderness, phelps mountain