Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

8th Lake?

I wonder if I might be driving by someplace i might like to camp? For a quick,easy place to primitive canoe camp for a night or two might I like it? I know it's not real wildernes,but has no motors? and primitive campsites. The other side away from the hyway might be quieter. Where can you launch?
Thanks
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
I wonder if I might be driving by someplace i might like to camp? For a quick,easy place to primitive canoe camp for a night or two might I like it? I know it's not real wildernes,but has no motors? and primitive campsites. The other side away from the hyway might be quieter. Where can you launch?
Thanks
There is an unofficial trail leading down to a small sandy beach that you can launch a canoe from. It is a short distance along the road from the overlook where you see the road sign "Eighth Lake". There is often a car parked on the side of the road where people swim at the beach. There are a couple of primitive sites and a lean-to on the opposite shore, but are very often occupied.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

The new NG map shows two lean-tos on the west shore and one on an island. I have never been there so I am guessing that the map is in error? It looks like an awfully small island to have a LT on it.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Thanks
The only motors this time of year are running entirely on top of the surface
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
The new NG map shows two lean-tos on the west shore and one on an island. I have never been there so I am guessing that the map is in error? It looks like an awfully small island to have a LT on it.
Zach
It is there.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Thanks, that's very interesting. Are there three LTs on the lake as the map shows?
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Thanks, that's very interesting. Are there three LTs on the lake as the map shows?
Zach
I can testify that there is a LT at the beginning of the carry to Brown's Tract Inlet.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
timmedee

There is a lean to on the island and on the shore across from this island as well.
timmedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The 8th Lake lean-tos are very, very popular and are all high use. When I worked for the NFCT trail crew, we did some work on the access at the east end for the Brown's Tract Carry, during which we camped in the lean-to for a week. On Friday afternoon, there was a constant stream of groups walking in to see if the lean-to was open.

The island is a very highly impacted site due to overuse and abuse. At one point, the plan was the close to island to all camping and make the lean-to day use only. I believe that the current plan is to close the island to all camping and remove the lean-to entirely. This may have already happened prior to you embarking on your trip, so plan accordingly.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
JohnnyMac

No leanto or camping on Eighth Lake island.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
No leanto or camping on Eighth Lake island.
The leanto on the island was removed 3 or 4 years ago. Since then, a newly refurbished double wide leanto sits behind the island not far away.