Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
skillzman1

Hiking Apps?

what apps, if any, do most people use?
I have mapmyfitness hiking app that I use, its the free version on my android phone. I find it very finicky most of the time. When it try to share it with others it acts up. After the last hike a few weeks ago I tried to share and it wiped out the entire hike.
It keeps asking me to upgrade for the usual monthly fees, but I don't see the value.
I'm just curious if anyone else has a better app that they use.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Hiking App?

Really??

I hike to get away from all that stuff.\\
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
rdl

Quote:
I hike to get away from all that stuff.
Personally I find no difference between a hiking app and a gps -- for me they serve the same purpose. I have no problems navigating with map and compass so only use the data recorded for my own entertainment.

That being said, I've used a Droid as my primary means of navigation on a 7 day, mostly off trail trip in the Wind River Range. I don't have that phone anymore and don't remember the app that was used -- but it provided the same information that a Garmin gps did. Additionally it can be used to drown the snores of tentmates.

This is a good reference: http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm for GPS apps on an iPhone. I've tried to use my iPhone in the Adirondacks and the battery drains too quickly. The Droid that I used in the Winds was configurable enough that I could turn off everything but the GPS and we had no battery issues. We had a backup battery but didn't need it.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
cuterocky
Kalie

I've used MapMyHike before and it works ok but totally drains the battery on my phone. The app I've been using more recently is Google's My Tracks. It's a simple, lightweight application that works great and doesn't kill my battery nearly as fast. It's perfect for what I use it for. I've never used while hiking in the Adirondacks. I just like to use it to track the shorter hikes I go on locally
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
skillzman1

I don't use mine for navigation, I like to track my exercise and like the fact that it records distance,elevation and calories. The fact that it has a gps function is a plus, but I do agree it drains the battery fast.
I will look into the my tracks app and see how it works.

I hike to stay healthy physically (and mentally I suppose), this is just a tool to help me keep track of how I am doing and where I have improved.
Thanks all for the replies!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
NY_Rocking_Chairs

I use GPS Trails Pro, mostly as a safety back-up. I do a few group trips every year and I don't always meet the other people until that weekend so I like to be prepared for most eventualities and that includes being able to get to a road or town ASAP in case of an emergency.

The basic app was free, but I did pay for the upgrade and a one-year subscription to get access to all the topo maps, which have to be saved to the phone/device so that was annoying at first. They do have a pretty easy to use web site where you can setup trips, routes, way-points, etc and then download that trip to the phone for use once on the trail.
NY_Rocking_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Fly Rodder

I use Gaia GPS. It's a nice little app, that tracks your path, allows for photos through the app, and provides waypoint navigation, but the main bonus I've found is that you can download a wide range of aerial photos and topo maps (for no extra charge). You simply draw a box around what you want and download before leaving wireless access. This way you can pull up the gps and map and not worry about when you're out of cell service. I use this for hunting in the backwoods. My map and compass are to navigate, but I like the app for tracking distances and elevation changes.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
bassanglers912

I use google's MyTracks as well. Nice and simple and doesn't burn battery like rocky said. It's nice beacause it gives you distance, speed, elevation change and a map of where you are and you can sign in to your google account to see your hike without having to send or download anthying additional.
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
skillzman1

I used the MyTracks app last weekend...works pretty good. I liked the way it overlays the tracks on google earth.
I hiked Hadley Fire tower and did some bush whack towards Round top and it tracked it all very nicely.

I may try a few of the others mentioned just to get a well rounded look.
Thanks all for the replies.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
skillzman1

I think that Gaia GPS app looks pretty cool....all these apps to test out...will get me plenty of hiking!! lol