Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
roman01ca

Cranberry Lake 50 current trail conditions?

Hi all,

Planning on driving up on Thursday morning from northern NJ to Burntbridge TH. Hope to arrive prior to 1pm. Will be hiking counter-clockwise to get the road walk out of the way. 1st night I will be staying at the lean-to on Peavine Swap Trail prior to the ranger school. 2nd night (Friday) at High Falls. Anyone know if these campsite will be full at this time of year? 3rd night not to sure about, either Olmstead Pond or Chair Rock. 4th night Dog Pond or Curtis Pond, depending on how I feel.

As of today forecast looks to be sunny. I have the NAT Geo map. Is the trail from Sixmile Creek trail to Chair Rock clearly marked? As for the bug situation, will I need a head bug net? Are long sleeve shirts recommended?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
roman01ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
NY_Rocking_Chairs

I stayed at the camp site just before High Falls two summers ago and on the weekends especially there is a lot of canoe/kayak traffic into the High Falls area and those camp sites filled up quick. By supper time Friday there were people who had gone up stream to High Falls and then had to back-track down-stream to find an open camp site. That year I only completed Peavine Swamp/Wanakeena and to that camp site before an injury forced the trip to stop and bail on the total loop.

I am going in next week (probably Wednesday (2 July) to Friday/Saturday hike) but starting at Janack's landing and completing the 36 miles I have left.

The toughest navigating I found was when nearing the Ranger School and getting through Wanakeena, the road walk wasn't marked at all and then finding the trail out of town towards High Falls was a bit of a challenge. Also the foot bridge in Wanakeena is gone so I expect the trail will detour around to the road bridge.
NY_Rocking_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
VinoNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Rocking_Chairs View Post
I stayed at the camp site just before High Falls two summers ago and on the weekends especially there is a lot of canoe/kayak traffic into the High Falls area and those camp sites filled up quick. By supper time Friday there were people who had gone up stream to High Falls and then had to back-track down-stream to find an open camp site. That year I only completed Peavine Swamp/Wanakeena and to that camp site before an injury forced the trip to stop and bail on the total loop.

I am going in next week (probably Wednesday (2 July) to Friday/Saturday hike) but starting at Janack's landing and completing the 36 miles I have left.

The toughest navigating I found was when nearing the Ranger School and getting through Wanakeena, the road walk wasn't marked at all and then finding the trail out of town towards High Falls was a bit of a challenge. Also the foot bridge in Wanakeena is gone so I expect the trail will detour around to the road bridge.
How did you navigate that section near the Ranger school and through Wanakena to find the trail? I will be doing this same thing at the end of July and would like to avoid any misdirection situations.
I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
― Jack Kerouac
VinoNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
NY_Rocking_Chairs

I had a copy of the trail map. Also I am very familiar with the area since my wife's family owns a lot of property in the area, my mother-in-law grew up on the lake.

Here is the short version:
The Peavine Swamp Trail will exit right near the Ranger School. You will see the maintenance buildings to your right. Follow the road to the left through the parking area that is between the school and the river.

Stay on the road until it branches left into Wanakeena (there is an early left turn that is a dead-end private road, avoid that), there might be signs for road 58 which is what runs into town. This will take you into down-town Wanakeena. From there the trail used to go straight across the foot-bridge, but now I suspect you will have to turn right and follow River St to the road bridge.

The trail picks up on the other side of the tennis courts (after crossing the road bridge, follow the road for a bit and the tennis courts will be on your right and go to the back right corner (from the road)). There is a maint road for about 100 yards and then the trail picks up.

Here is a Google map link showing the route:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/44.1...!1m0!1m0?hl=en
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
VinoNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Rocking_Chairs View Post
I had a copy of the trail map. Also I am very familiar with the area since my wife's family owns a lot of property in the area, my mother-in-law grew up on the lake.

Here is the short version:
The Peavine Swamp Trail will exit right near the Ranger School. You will see the maintenance buildings to your right. Follow the road to the left through the parking area that is between the school and the river.

Stay on the road until it branches left into Wanakeena (there is an early left turn that is a dead-end private road, avoid that), there might be signs for road 58 which is what runs into town. This will take you into down-town Wanakeena. From there the trail used to go straight across the foot-bridge, but now I suspect you will have to turn right and follow River St to the road bridge.

The trail picks up on the other side of the tennis courts (after crossing the road bridge, follow the road for a bit and the tennis courts will be on your right and go to the back right corner (from the road)). There is a maint road for about 100 yards and then the trail picks up.

Here is a Google map link showing the route:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/44.1...!1m0!1m0?hl=en
That was very helpful. Thank you. I have a Nat Geo Map for the area but it doesnt show the specific way through this area. That Google map link was extremelly helpful.

Thanks again,

Vino
I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
― Jack Kerouac
VinoNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
NY_Rocking_Chairs

Here is my trip report:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...494#post219494

The trails were in pretty good shape. From High Falls there is one 60' log crossing where failure means falling into a beaver pond/swamp that was about 3' deep in the middle. There were piles of long poles at either end of the log to use for balance while crossing. There was one beaver dam that you walked across the top of it.

Lots of bugs. The only times I was not constantly buzzed by bugs was the Cowhorn Junction to about half-way point to Olmstead Pond and the higher elevation portion between West Flow and Chair Rock Flow.

My last day was 3 hours in the rain to cover the 8 miles from Curtis Pond to the Rt 3 TH so no bugs due to rain and cannot really tell what was wet or normally dry since everything was wet.