Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Rock/Ice Climbing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

Silver Lake Mt - accessible?

Is this accessible? In the guide it mentions this Mt but doesn't go into any detail due to access issues at the time of publication...

If it IS accessible, anyone want to meet there in a couple weeks for a day of top roping?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
MDL23

Kevin,

Are you talking about Silver Lake Mountain in Clinton County next to Douglas' Campground? If so, then yeah - it's accessible. I don't rock climb, but I did hike up there the day after Chistmas, it was nice. There's a trailhead on the Silver Lake Road just south of Douglas'. If there's another Silver Lake Mountain, then just forget this response.

Matt
MDL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL23 View Post
Kevin,

Are you talking about Silver Lake Mountain in Clinton County next to Douglas' Campground? If so, then yeah - it's accessible. I don't rock climb, but I did hike up there the day after Chistmas, it was nice. There's a trailhead on the Silver Lake Road just south of Douglas'. If there's another Silver Lake Mountain, then just forget this response.

Matt
I'm referring the one next to Taylor Pond, north of Saranac Lake... sorry I didn't realize there was more than 1 Silver Lake Mt with rock climbing...
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
MDL23

That is the same silver lake mountain I was thinking of. I don't know if there is another one, but wouldn't be surprised if there was. Anyways, if you go there you see the trail head right off the road, can't miss it.
MDL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Trail Tramp

I took my 5 year old up Silver Lake Mt. this February, the trail head is easily found across the road from a turnoff that leads to camps along the shores of Silver Lake. So, look for a large collection of signs that depict the names of camps and their owners along with a few for sale signs and the trail head will be found directly on the opposite side of the road from this. For an easy 0.9 mile hike to the top of Silver Lake Mt. the view is quite nice with views of Taylor Pond, Silver Lake, Catamount Mt., and the Wilmington Range. Enjoy!
Trail Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Thanks folks .

Now, to the harder question - what about the rock climbing there? The ADK Rock guide has this listed in the back as an accessibility issue and doesn't have ANY details. I'm looking for moderate (up to 5.8) top-roping.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
RobA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Thanks folks .

Now, to the harder question - what about the rock climbing there? The ADK Rock guide has this listed in the back as an accessibility issue and doesn't have ANY details. I'm looking for moderate (up to 5.8) top-roping.
i believe Blue Lines mentions this silver lake as being open as of earth day 2009? so kind of agreement with the former land owners about access by the public when the state (?) bought the land... if i remember correctly its in the eastern section of the book, but im not sure its at home and im at school.
RobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
C4C
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobA View Post
i believe Blue Lines mentions this silver lake as being open as of earth day 2009? so kind of agreement with the former land owners about access by the public when the state (?) bought the land... if i remember correctly its in the eastern section of the book, but im not sure its at home and im at school.
Great memory Rob! That is exactly what it says (pg. 113,114) Earth day 2009
C4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
C4C
Renaissance Man

I'm kinda surprised Jim Lawyer has replied yet. He would be the one to answer this question. Maybe he wants all of the first ascents for himself?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
RobA

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4C View Post
I'm kinda surprised Jim Lawyer has replied yet. He would be the one to answer this question. Maybe he wants all of the first ascents for himself?
cant blame him..if its half as cool as its been made out to be i wouldnt be telling a soul that its open...but the ice guide makes it sound like there has been some activity there in the past so who knows how many FA's are left.

this cliff opening is one of the many things that make me hate that im not living up north anymore
Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Kevin
**BANNED**

Hmm, well I very much appreciate the info . I don't ice climb so I don't have the Blue Line . I'm also new to climbing so I doubt doing FAs is the best thing for me right now, aside from maybe finding a few good top roping spots and rapelling down... guess ADK Rock has spoiled me .

But I would be excited to join an experienced climber if anyone's interested. I'll be at Taylor Pond in mid-May. PM me
Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #12
Jim Lawyer

I've only been into the Silver Lake area twice, once about 4 years ago, and the other time about 20 years ago. It's a vast area, and I'm not sure I could navigate my way back to the same spots. Besides, neither spot had toproping, hence no replies.

As far as "saving FAs for myself"...yeah right, nice try. I don't roll like that.
Jim Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
C4C
Renaissance Man

Jim, I know you wouldn't keep all of the FA's I was only joking.(i have a couple that are above my climbing ability to give away BTW) That is one of the many reasons I love the Adk climbing community. Thanks for the response. So is Silver Lake officially open? -Todd
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
stokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
But I would be excited to join an experienced climber if anyone's interested. I'll be at Taylor Pond in mid-May. PM me
I'm potentially interested. However, I leave NY for the summer May 16. What are the black flies like in that area?
stokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokel View Post
I'm potentially interested. However, I leave NY for the summer May 16. What are the black flies like in that area?
I think that's the weekend we're going up... have to double check.

Mid May shouldn't be terrible for black flies up there, but they could start appearing in the southern ADKs by then...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
stokel

Alright, keep me posted.
stokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
Jim Lawyer

I've been told that it would open on "earth day", which is April 22. So, yes, going there is legal now. Let me know if you all do routes in there so they can be recorded.
Jim Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
RobA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lawyer View Post
As far as "saving FAs for myself"...yeah right, nice try. I don't roll like that.
i didnt mean to say you're withholding info jim, sorry if you took it the wrong way. i assumed that you were like other climbers i know and tend to keep new route/are info quite until the area get developed further. again i apologize.

Rob

edit: i tend to view possible new routes like a work of art and if ive got a canvas in-mind, i tend not to share it, so i kinda figured that if jim (or anyone really) had any lines picked out they might not be as forth coming with info as they would for any other route that has already been climbed.

Last edited by RobA; 04-09-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #19
Kevin
**BANNED**

Folks - who cares who climbed something first? That makes it sound like the emphasis is on name placement/recognition and not the sport...

The climbers I've talked with don't seem to care whether they get any credit for anything, they just love to do it.

Jim, just out of curisity - can someone submit beta but remain anonymous? I mean, YOU would know but the name would be unpublished? What is the real purpose of the FAs being recorded?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
Anita

lots of climbers care. just flip through the AAJ some time.

I can't speak from experience but I can definitely understand the thrill of finding a new area or scoping a new line and researching it and eventually going out and climbing it. all the work and effort and patience coming to fruition as a newly established route, or crag. all the stories behind famous FAs. Personally I love all that stuff.
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote