Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
WaterRings

canoe portage pack frame

My memory has failed me again. I seem to recall that someone was making and selling a pack frame that doubled as a canoe portage gizmo that helped transfer the weight to your hips. I think it is no longer made but maybe someone has one kicking around. What was the name of it. Thanks
WaterRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRings View Post
My memory has failed me again. I seem to recall that someone was making and selling a pack frame that doubled as a canoe portage gizmo that helped transfer the weight to your hips. I think it is no longer made but maybe someone has one kicking around. What was the name of it. Thanks
Knu-Pac
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
TrailBlaser

Very cool, I'd like to try it.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
Wldrns

I have two of them, both still in good shape, but would not give up either one. Wish I had bought another while they were still available. Eric knudsen sold them in the 1980's. When carrying a tandem or long solo canoe (e.g. Rapidfire) with a balanced center thwart or yoke, I hold a line at my hip in one hand attached to bow/stern for fore/aft tip control. For my Hornbeck I mount a lightweight quick attach "center thwart" at the balance point, and connect a rigid conduit rod from the bottom of the pack to the gunwale near the stern (see in the photo). That gives me a rigid triangle allowing a completely hands free carry.

When Eric moved from New England to Hawaii, he offered to sell me the business, but I was not in any position to pick something like that up at the time. I understand that he did sell it to a Canadian, but they never followed through with continued production.

With Hornbeck heading out on a SW/NE diagonal crossing of the Adirondacks (185 total miles/including 62 miles of carries in a hot dry low water July). The Knupac made it easy:

Knupac with a 34 foot long voyageur, for Eric's promo photo only, do not try this at home:

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-02-2019 at 07:36 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I modified an older external frame backpack by pulling the pins and sliding out the top bar and replacing it with two U shaped sets of prongs. It works very well for carrying a canoe and the total cost was under $30 to buy the backpack. I can post some pictures if anyone wants to see how it works.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Hornbeck makes something like this...

It's on their site...not sure about the specific details other than what this page says, but here is the link:

https://www.hornbeckboats.com/custom_backpack.php
Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
WaterRings

Thanks guys. I recognized the name as soon as I saw it.
The memory is the first to go - I can't remember what the second thing is.
WaterRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRings View Post
Thanks guys. I recognized the name as soon as I saw it.
The memory is the first to go - I can't remember what the second thing is.

Hahaha. I think I heard that one before, I forget.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
snapper
snapper

Long before Knu-Pac was in business we made similar portage frames using the old Camp Trails "Freighter" frames and PVC pipe for an outdoor program I work in. We made about 50 sets one night up at the facility on Raquette Lake. We were inside the garage, with the overhead door closed, and were a little slow on the uptake when we all became woozy from the glue. Eventually our fading brains kicked in and we opened the door for some needed ventilation. Those frames are still going strong today; at least 20 years later.

The funny thing is when Knu-Pac went into business their rep called me at my office and asked if we might be interested in their product. I explained what we were already doing and he quieted down pretty quickly. I didn't mean to burst his bubble but there was no sense spending the kind $$$ they were asking for something we knew we could do on our own.

For what it's worth, this wasn't an original idea for any of us either. The guy who promoted the project had found plans in "Wilderness Camping " magazine; a forerunner to today's "Backpacker."

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote