Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
crkmeup

When I was in the Smokies the rangers would have the car campers watch a video showing a black bear punching through side glass windows to get a cooler. He had a great upper cut.
crkmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #22
darnedsox

Our grand kids see Nicks as a second home. Skipping Nicks would be like skipping christmas for them.
That said, along with the proximity of "hubbub" stuff the kids like(water park), It has always been a well taken care of, well patrolled for noise, wicked "kid-friendly" camp ground. If you don't prefer to see or hear little kids...don't go.
Because of the FAMILY(lots of kids)atmosphere, there is lots of food. Kids are fussy eaters and, they are messy. lots of cooking. all day long. Lots of leftovers and smells. Lots of food and snacks dropped and left unattended by kids. BEARS.
Used to be, the camp workers would be on patrol, and if they saw a cooler, or food unattended- they would confiscate, and leave a note to pick it up at the station. With all the cut backs, there is not the same vigilance at all the parks I imagine-it is noticeable at Nicks to us. We had a persistent bear in our loop last July, and after the second visit, DEC came in and used "noise guns" to chase it into the forest. It did not return while we were there(?).
Last season, there was a thread about nuisance a bear that was killed at or near a park (8th?). Allegedly, the animal was a repeat visitor that some "campers" had fed throughout the season. I'm not sure why there aren't stiffer penalties for those who feed bears in a park. A Huge fine and park reservation ban for life if I was king. Yea, there is likely to be a visiting bear or two at Nicks.
And, another thing...just a quick look by the same person who checks the park permit to monitor the firewood being brought in would make me happier. oops, sorry for the rant
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #23
jjones

If you camp in campgrounds and you keep a very clean site that does not mean you will not see bears.The people next to you or 3-4 sites away could be not as clean and that means you will see bears. There is a system that some of the state parks are using. You will see tags on there ears and I can not remember the color code but if you see 1-2 tags on there ears then that means they have been traped and taged and moved then they have returned to the area and they will be considered a nuisance and will be euthanized. The main issue with all the bears is in the last 10 or more years the dumps have cloesed and there are not the number of hunters hunting them. I have a camp in Hoffmister and we are seeing and killing more bear than in the past.Th camp has been in my family since 1920 and have never had a bear break in but 2 years ago one enter through and window in the back and then did it again the following week. But they are out there and we all need to be awear that they can be dangerous.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote