Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
jjones

Worms ?

I would like to hear the differant ways everybody keeps their worms after they buy them or have picked good fresh ones from there back yard!
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Seeker

if i buy them, they go in the fridge.

if i pick them, i use a coffee can with the bottom cut out of it, and two lids. that way they're always 'on top'. a little dirt, some sphagnum moss, and some shredded newspaper make good bedding.

in use, they have to stay in the shade or they die. if i've got a powerboat, i keep them in the cooler as much as possible. in the canoe, i often have dead worms...
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
St.Regis

A loose mix of rich compost and coffee grounds is nice bedding for worms. Fridge or a cool spot in the basement is good. Add "food" as needed.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
jjones

I do keep them in the fridge and cooler when I do go fishing and I have heard of coffee grounds but was not sure if that was for real. I want to pick alot and keep them so that when I do go fishing I just take enough for that trip. I was just wondering if there was some "old timers" on here that have those little secrets that work the best. Thanks For the info
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #5

If you have a nice cool dark basement , you can store a bunch in there. moisture , some shredded newspapers , air , and some of that pre-made worm mix works well . Not sure if you are picking nite crawlers or the smaller wigglers outta your garden , but do a google search on both " keeping worms " and also " vermicompost " . Lots of info out there , short time just keep them , longer time put them to work so they earn their rent

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
wildbrookies

Way before my brother and I started flyfishing we were very big on worm fishing for trout and would go through alot of them each week...it started to become costly and another thing to remember to get each time we headed to our rivers.....so, I decided to try starting and keeping them alive and to reproduce them if I can...I found a half drum (around 20 gallon fiber pack...made out of thick cardboard that held alittle moisture and stayed cool thru-out the hot summer ) the drum was clean of any chemicals from where I worked...it had a metal cover that latched on tight(animals ,like raccoons would try to pry the lid off)...I then drilled holes in that for oxygen...I found a shady spot in our Moms backyard under a tree out of the way...in it I placed some old leaves first then some moist soil from the garden ,then some more leaves building layers as you went...then on the top i would throw in shredded newspaper(no colored glossy papers) and some worm bedding...mixing this in with the leaves and the garden soil...then some eggshells ,potato peels,some coffee grounds for their feed...believe it or not worms,especially nightcrawlers can eat alot,so feeding them is important...keep the container damp but not soaked...keeping them like this and happy will provide you with worms all spring ,summer and fall...also, by going out nightcrawler picking after it rains at night is the way I would restock the worm farm...didn`t cost anything but some worm bedding to start it and keep it going...any other questions ,don`t be afraid to ask...good luck with your worm farm...

p.s...after stocking it to its limit ...I sometimes had upwards of between 250-400 worms in there at one time and would notice babies after a few weeks...amazing and fun...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Sasquatch

I keep mine in my compost heap. When I want some worms to fish with, I just turn the heap a bit (which it needs anyway) and pick them out. To travel, the worms go in a reused yogurt tub full of nice dirt from the bottom of the compost bin or in the nearby garden. They keep well so long as you don't cook them in the sun. When I'm done, back in the compost heap with the left overs if there are any.