Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
jjones

Hard water???

Was wonder if anybody has been out on any ice? Catching anything? This warm weather is going to soften things up a bit.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
EagleCrag

I was on some ice Wednesday between Canada Lake and Piseco. There was about 2 inches of black ice, 2 inches of white ice that looked pretty good and 2 inches of crappy white ice that didn't look like it would support much. All in all, plenty of ice where we were. Caught some dink perch and a few pickerel, but nothing close to bragging size. Saw people out on Caroga and Canada.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Bunch of guys out on Brant Lake the other day.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
wildbrookies

Anybody see anyone on Indian Lake yet?
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
chaser
pond jockey

Fished off Fowler Rd on Schroon today. Slow bite, 5/6 black ice. We were at Eagle Pt at day break and my buddy must have seen the same look I saw in his eyes, that ice was scary and we didn't even try it. We both agreed this is probably safe ice but not comfortable or fun. Then we headed to north end of lake and better ice conditions. It's gonna get warm this weekend. Just stay on top guys and keep dry.

Last edited by chaser; 01-11-2013 at 11:48 PM..
chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
yellowcanoe

Does this winter seem unusually warm to you in terms of ice thickness?

I am 220 miles directly east of Lake Placid and live on a lake. As I don't live in the Daks, take this for just observation. The guys have not set up shacks. But they have their holes drilled about 200 feet from shore and tip ups installed. You can find the guys on shore watching their set ups.

10 years ago there would have been fifty shacks on runners out there.

Maybe they are just pondering the latest ice fatalities. We have had five around here but all were snowmobilers running at night.

When the lake freezes good she makes lots of noise with pongs and drumbeats. This year has been relatively quiet. I don't trust her.

What we need is to listen to an old timer that can relate to us songs of the ice. I am sure if we knew what to listen for we would know more.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Limekiln

It's not the lack of cold that's to blame for the bad ice, it's the deep snow cover acting as insulation.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
adkman12986

7" of layers on Raquett Pond and Lake Simond in Tupper Lake. Need to be extremely careful 2 guys went swimming yesterday.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I was at the beach on Schroon yesterday for a car swap and I could see 5 folks out on the ice. A group of 2 and a group of 3. It was pouring rain, and the ice had that grayish late March/early April look to it.

Its funny how most people would never look down the barrel of a loaded and cocked firearm, but show them some sketchy ice and they can't wait to get out on it.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!

Last edited by Commissionpoint; 01-12-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Nessmuk
FLYFSR

Most lakes have safe ice on it now....As long as you know the lake and you stay away from spring holes, outlets and inlets. I was on Lake Pleasant all day and it was 7 to 10 inches thick and 4 to 6 inches was good hard black ice. It looks unsafe from the road because all the rain and snow melt sits on top...making it look like the ice is melting, but really it's just the precip and snow melt.....the ice is hard underneath. Today felt more like a March ice fishing day rather than a Jan day on the ice! And the action was Slooooow...10 tip ups with only 1 bass to release! Jigged everywhere for perch....not a 1 to be found!! I would have liked some trout but maybe next time on Eaton or Indian.
Nessmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

You can jig perch by the bucket here right now, but you need a rowboat or similar.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

The following was posted on the CLFD Facebook today...be careful!

"Cranberry Lake Fire & Rescue Department
With the trageic event that happened in Massena, it should remind everyone to use your head around the ice. The latest warm weather has made the ice dangerous to be on. BE SAFE!"

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
CabinGuy

Anybody know the ice thickness of Blue Mountain Lake?
CabinGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinGuy View Post
Anybody know the ice thickness of Blue Mountain Lake?
No, but there are shanties on the ice as of 2 weeks ago.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote