Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
adkeditor

DEC to remove Grace Peak sign

You can read the story on Adirondack Almanack.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Perhaps the DEC will replace it with a fancy yellow disk instead.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

The sign didn't belong there. One you allow a precedent to be set, than "commemorative" signs will pop up everywhere for all sorts of things. The peak has been renamed Grace Peak and that should be enough to please everyone. I am sure it would please Grace.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
The sign didn't belong there. One you allow a precedent to be set, than "commemorative" signs will pop up everywhere for all sorts of things. The peak has been renamed Grace Peak and that should be enough to please everyone. I am sure it would please Grace.
I agree, but there are many plaques out there that the state does nothing about. There are plaques in Moreau St. Park, at the Hermits, Buck Mt., Berrynill Pond, etc.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Curious why not just take it down, instead of announcing that it will be taken down "at the earliest opportunity", giving the opportunity for someone else to steal it before it is returned to the rightful owner.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Curious why not just take it down, instead of announcing that it will be taken down "at the earliest opportunity", giving the opportunity for someone else to steal it before it is returned to the rightful owner.
Good question Justin....Sounds like a power trip kind of reaction to me.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
tgoodwin

I seem to recall that the 46-Rs did not announce that the registers were going to be removed for just that reason.

There are definitely a number of older commemorative plaques, etc. - starting with the Henderson Monument at Calamity Pond. It seems that the UMPs for any unit where there is such a commemoration indicate whether it is allowed to remain - sort of "grandfathered" in. Guess they couldn't "grandmother" Grace.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Slow news day huh?
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
adkeditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Justin, DEC did not announce it would remove the sign. The info provided was in response to my questions.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkeditor View Post
Justin, DEC did not announce it would remove the sign. The info provided was in response to my questions.
Oh sorry, thanks Phil.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
Limekiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkeditor View Post
You can read the story on Adirondack Almanack.
Instead of pimping your newsletter for page views why not just post the story?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
We use links often to refer to other articles. What's wrong with this?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
adkeditor

Quote:
The Almanack is an online journal written largely by volunteer contributors. Many people have come to value the news and discussion found on the Almanack, but if it is to survive, it needs page views.

Besides, some stories posted on the Almanack are rather lengthy to post here, so it makes sense to link to them.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
adkeditor

I received the following email this morning from Ron Konowitz, a Forty-Sixer and friend of Grace. He points out that DEC installed wooden signs after it removed the Forty-Sixer canisters in the 1990s.

"The concept behind the DEC issued wooden signs that were issued as the cannisters were removed was a concern for both public safety and resource protection in that without a summit marker , hikers who had never been to the summit would wander around looking for the true summits creating both safety concerns and degrading the summit vegetation by creating more herd paths and trampling vegetation. Sometimes common sense management decisions in heavily used wilderness areas actually helps protect the natural resource rather than degrade it . Such was case with the DEC decision for the Placement of the wooden summit markers.

"This is not a commemorative sign. It is a summit sign marking the summit of the newly renamed Grace Peak. Obviously in retrospect , someone should have asked for an official DEC wooden sign to be placed where the DEC issued East Dix sign was mounted( right where the Cannister once existed). It's unfortunate because it is a very nicely done wooden all natural sign. Perhaps the DEC could issue an official wooden sign to replace it."
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Neil
Admin

Quote:
I greatly prefer that the links be posted as opposed to a cut and paste of the articles.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
geogymn

Pimp away, the Almanack is a great resource.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
Harvey44

As a publisher (and a forum moderator) I prefer that people post a paragraph or two of the article to give an idea of what they are linking to, and then add the link at the end. IMO it's unfair to the author to copy his/her content without any linkback attribution.

Also IMO Adirondack Explorer and AA are incredibly valuable resources (and clearly labors of love) and supporting them makes a lot of sense.