Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
saabrian

Floodwood Mountain road closed?

So I tried to go to Floodwood Mtn last weekend but a little under 6 miles from the trailhead (acc'd to Google Maps), there was a sign saying the road was closed in 5 miles. So I turned around. Anyone know why? Or for how long it might be the case? I didn't see anything about a closure on the DEC website either.
Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Doesn't that turn into a seasonal road before you get to the Floodwood Mountain trailhead? It's been a relatively early spring in some respects but it's still early to be expecting most seasonal roads to be open yet. Even after the snow melts there's still a necessary "drying out" period where the road is given time to dry and let the mud settle before it can be opened.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
MTVhike

Did you get as far as the RR crossing at Floodwood (the canoe outfitters location)? The trailhead is under three miles farther and, if I remember correctly, Floodwood road was gated beyond the side road to the TH.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Did you get as far as the RR crossing at Floodwood (the canoe outfitters location)? The trailhead is under three miles farther and, if I remember correctly, Floodwood road was gated beyond the side road to the TH.
That is how I remember it also.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #5
Hoser

Same here, hiked it in Feb, could drive just beyond the TH but then had to park over 1/2 mile plus before the TH in the plowed lot. Should be able to reach and park at TH currently.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Been a long time since I hiked this and maybe it's changed but I recall a small parking area to the left right before or after the road you start hiking down to get to the trail. I recall gates, but I don't recall exactly where. Seems like the road you start hiking down is gated and I know there's a DEC sign where the trail splits off. Can't recall if there was any signage anywhere else.

Last edited by montcalm; 05-05-2021 at 09:33 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

I looked at the sat image, there is a large sandy parking area there. I don't actually recall it being as big as it is... anyway, I *think* that's where I started.

If you ever get back and get to the end of the trail, you may be underwhelmed with the view. There's a a very small clearing and narrow slab (that I don't recommend climbing down) where you can kind of see off to the southeast.

The actual summit is quite wooded but if you head up what I remember as a large, 12-15' or so, rock spline and head to the southwest corner of the main summit, you end up coming to a very open area over some cliffs where you can see quite far. This is mostly looking south, southwest toward Tupper Lake.

You can see to the west too but not a lot of views because of trees encroaching or nearby mountains obstructing.

Last edited by montcalm; 05-07-2021 at 09:55 AM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #8
LongLaker

Floodwood Road.

Pooch and I took a walk along Floodwood Rd yesterday (5/6).

Floodwood Road and the Floodwood Reserve PA are open.
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
saabrian

None of the info I found online or in the ADK guide book mentioned it being a seasonal road - nor was it mentioned on the DEC website which usually lists seasonal road closures - so it's not something I was expecting to have to take into consideration.

I saw a sign that said road closed in 5 miles and my GPS said I had like 5.75 mi left so I turned around.

It wasn't a huge deal. There were enough trails around that I could figure out a Plan B. Just a long way to drive (2 1/4 hrs one way) to not do the hike you want.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have never used a GPS myself, but based on the experiences of the people who use them to come here I would say they are not always very accurate at providing directions and distances, perhaps especially in less traveled areas.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
saabrian

I've found it pretty accurate for driving to trailheads.