Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #21
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post

Leashless dogs are also a pet peeve (pun realized)...better for the dog and for other hikers to have pooch on leash, and the dog is less likely to eat what the hikers left behind (eeew...learned from experience on a Giant hike several years ago)
Pet peeve of mine too.

I realize some people's dogs are perfectly well behaved off a leash, but the issue is, if you have your dog on a leash, and that dog comes up to it, chances are the dog on the leash is going to be aggressive. Dogs feel vulnerable on a leash and another unleashed dog can be threatening.

I get very angry with people whose dogs would come up and they'd say, "oh, he's friendly." Only to be engaged in a raging fight with my dog seconds later. I let the leash go on my dog and let them fight. No way I'm getting bit because you can't follow the rules and understand basic dog psychology.

I've also have had other people's unleashed dog approach my kids. Again, "Oh, the dog is friendly". Is he friendly when my kid pokes him in the eye? Because if he bites a kid, the dog's getting euthanized and you're going to court. I have no control over that interaction, but it's the owners responsibility to be in control of their dog.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Pet peeve of mine too.

I realize some people's dogs are perfectly well behaved off a leash, but the issue is, if you have your dog on a leash, and that dog comes up to it, chances are the dog on the leash is going to be aggressive. Dogs feel vulnerable on a leash and another unleashed dog can be threatening.

I get very angry with people whose dogs would come up and they'd say, "oh, he's friendly." Only to be engaged in a raging fight with my dog seconds later. I let the leash go on my dog and let them fight. No way I'm getting bit because you can't follow the rules and understand basic dog psychology.

I've also have had other people's unleashed dog approach my kids. Again, "Oh, the dog is friendly". Is he friendly when my kid pokes him in the eye? Because if he bites a kid, the dog's getting euthanized and you're going to court. I have no control over that interaction, but it's the owners responsibility to be in control of their dog.
Amen- "He's friendly"....yeah right
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #23
montcalm
Mobster

Not directly Adirondack, but dog poo related:

https://www.h2ohero.org/larry-the-h2o-hero

This is our local campaign which tries to educate people on reducing watershed pollution. One big thing is cleaning up the dog poo and putting it in little plastic bags. There are signs about it all over here.

My kids call that guy "The yellow man". They see him on the signs everywhere and think it's hilarious that he "tells people to clean up their poop" as I've explained it to them. We eventually found a big mural of him and found out his name is Larry. He's kind of a big deal around here
Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 PM   #24
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
The wildness that formed and influenced my growth has been greatly diminished by the younger generation, I see nothing positive except my stock in bubble wrap manufactures increasing in value! Peace to all!
Cool story bro.

Glad your notion of making profit off of other people's folly makes you feel morally superior.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #25
peskypup

Quote:
Pet peeve of mine too.

After 20+ years of having dogs and hiking with them, the words "It's OK, s/he's friendly" induce instant rage in me. I even had someone tell me my leashed dog and I didn't belong on a trail because my dog reacted poorly to being approached by their off-leash dog!

For the record, I have 2 dogs now, they're both on leash at all times when we hike, and I pick up their poop in cornstarch-based, compostable bags, which I carry out with me, drive home in a Subaru (sorry, no Coexist sticker), and dispose of properly!

Last edited by peskypup; 04-15-2021 at 03:17 PM..
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #26
montcalm
Mobster

Peskypup -

This guy knows some stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-oFo4KopNQ

The reality of 7 billion people and reducing our population without war, famine, suffering, etc requires a little bit of thought about how our actions (or lack of) affect other people.

Sometimes we need to put our big boy/girl pants on and do something because it is what is best for others, and not just what satisfies our own selfish desires.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #27
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypup View Post
After 20+ years of having dogs and hiking with them, the words "It's OK, s/he's friendly" induce instant rage in me. I even had someone tell me my leashed dog and I didn't belong on a trail because my dog reacted poorly to being approached by their off-leash dog!

For the record, I have 2 dogs now, they're both on leash at all times when we hike, and I pick up their poop in cornstarch-based, compostable bags, which I carry out with me, drive home in a Subaru (sorry, no Coexist sticker), and dispose of properly!
After 35 years of not having dogs I have the same instant rage response you describe when people say that. I've been bitten by dogs while bicycling, only once deeply enough to draw blood, but it's been enough to make me very leery of unattached and untrained dogs, especially when their owners are not yet in sight or are calling feebly for their dogs to come back. Sometimes I look around for a suitable stick when I see one coming, but I never seem to see anything on the ground that is suitable and near to hand in the moment. Luckily I have not been bitten while hiking yet.
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #28
montcalm
Mobster

Hate to say it, but if this is probably the most humane way to deal with that.

https://www.sabrered.com/protector-dog-sprays

If I was being attacked on my bike, I'd carry that.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:39 AM   #29
backwoodsman

When we were kids we knew which houses to go by at full speed . You either made it through or stopped and used your bike as a defensive shield.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:46 AM   #30
Zach

Yes, on the bike I can often outrun dogs, but not uphill. My policy is that if the dog is on the pavement and coming after me and is within reach of my feet I will kick it while riding, and this works pretty well. I don't know what the legalities of sprays are, I think NY is somewhat more restrictive than a lot of states. After the serious dog bite the dog warden said I was within my rights to kick a dog on the road, but not off it, which makes sense. The owners of the dog were in their yard when it bit me, and refused to give me their name, but I was able to describe the location to the dog warden. They also said that the dog only bit me because I was wearing a helmet, which scared it, and that they would tell the warden I had kicked their dog. The warden said she wasn't able to do anything about the dog till she had two complaints about it biting people, but I never went back past that house again and I don't know what happened, if anything. Luckily it wasn't on a piece of road that I had to use to go anywhere.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #31
montcalm
Mobster

Used to have the same issue as Backwoodsman when I was kid. We used to kick them. Some of those suckers would come at you foaming at the mouth, you had to be ready!

I wouldn't really condone kicking now, the spray is much more effective for both you and the dog, meaning you're less likely to get bit and the dog is less likely to be injured. I'd check the law, it is legal in all 50 states and is really no different than dealing with a bear... except the bear has no irresponsible owners
Old 04-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #32
montcalm
Mobster

Not to get into a big thing, but if a dog bit you and drew blood, no matter what the case, that seems unacceptable. I'm pretty sure you could have sued the owners, especially being that you were on a public road and not on their property.

A giant hassle, but that seems crazy to me that they need to wait for the dog to bite someone again before they act. It's really the owners that are the problem, and that's why a civil case would be the best to try to punish them for their inaction, and not the dog who was just doing what an untrained/uncontained dog will do.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Not to get into a big thing, but if a dog bit you and drew blood, no matter what the case, that seems unacceptable. I'm pretty sure you could have sued the owners, especially being that you were on a public road and not on their property.

A giant hassle, but that seems crazy to me that they need to wait for the dog to bite someone again before they act. It's really the owners that are the problem, and that's why a civil case would be the best to try to punish them for their inaction, and not the dog who was just doing what an untrained/uncontained dog will do.
Dog would likely get put down if official complaint lodged.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #34
Banjoe

I actually love it when someone yells that their dog charging me is friendly. It gives me a chance to yell, "I'm not." One time while doing trail work and carrying tools that clearly disturbed two off-leash dogs enough that one got in front of me and one behind, but neither close enough to get hit with a shovel, the owner whined that he'd said he was sorry. What else did he expect me to do? I told him.
Here's a sign someone I might know put up in a local preserve that's used as an off-leash dog park:
1. They may wake up the campers or eat their unburied feces.
2. Just because there aren’t any cars here, doesn’t mean there aren’t people or other animals here.
3. Your dog might be friendly, but not every person it encounters is.
4. Maybe dogs don’t belong on a leash, but they don’t belong in cars either and that doesn’t deter you from driving here with it.
5. No one comes here to listen to you employ voice control over your dog from a mile away for 20 minutes.
6. Surely you get tired of saying, “That’s the first time Fido has ever attacked another dog.”
7. Surely you get tired of saying, “That’s the first time Fido has ever jumped on a small child before.”
8. Surely you get tired of saying, “That’s the first time Fido has ever shaken water all over someone before.”
9. Surely you get tired of saying, “That’s the first time Fido has ever bitten and killed anyone before.”
10. Surely you get tired of people asking you to follow the law and leashing your dog.
11. The Department of Health is running out of paper to make posters for dogs that have bitten someone and need to be found
12. If your dog charges someone, they may be from Florida and stand their ground.
13. What a coincidence: There’s never anyone else here when you come with your off-leash dog, and others have never come here without encountering someone who thinks they are alone with their off-leash dog.
14. The second most cited complaint of visitors here is off-leash dogs. The number one complaint is off-leash dog owners acting like two-year-olds when asked to follow the law.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #35
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
14. The second most cited complaint of visitors here is off-leash dogs. The number one complaint is off-leash dog owners acting like two-year-olds when asked to follow the law.
That was funny, but this is the best.

My most recent encounter with an individual who would not leash his dog went something like that. Needless to say his tween age children who were with him were begging him to just put the dog on the leash, but he refused, showing his indignation and entitlement by stating how he always lets his dog run unleashed in that area.

I think he lived adjacent to the park. This is typical NIMBY behavior in our parts. And sometimes it's worse.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:48 PM   #36
Zach

"I'm not" is a great answer, I'll try to remember it for future use.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #37
Buckladd

I'm still wondering why people bag their dog's poop then leave it on the side of the trail or at the trailhead? Would love to hear a dog owner's answer.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:06 PM   #38
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I'm still wondering why people bag their dog's poop then leave it on the side of the trail or at the trailhead? Would love to hear a dog owner's answer.
I think every various reason has been either explicitly or implicitly covered in past posts.

If that's not satisfactory for you, I suggest you hide out in the bushes near a trailhead and wait for someone to leave an offending bag, then simply approach them and ask why. Can't be any harder than hunting a deer or turkey, can it? Probably leave the gun at home though...
Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #39
backwoodsman

If you were to ask the people directly you wouldn't hear answers , you'd hear excuses . I think burying is the most sensible thing to do .

Putting into a compostable bag made from cornstarch as pesky pup does , I don't know , forests are being cut down to produce corn both here and in South America , just something to consider.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #40
St.Regis

Bingo!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote