Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
hikingandwildex

Finger Lakes Without Waterfalls or Wineries

I've been to the Finger Lakes more times than I can count, with most of my trips revolving around visiting wineries, waterfalls and lakes. This time I decided to do something a little different and focus on hiking some of the trails in the area including the Finger Lakes Trail, Bob Cameron Loop, and Interloken Trail. Here are some of the highlights from my day trip on a very hot and buggy day.

Next up is the Pine Creek Gorge in PA and some of the Adirondack firetowers, which I plan to do next month.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

awesome photos. I just got back from a 6 day hike on the FLT. Maps 18-15.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Banjoe

Congrats to both of you, perhaps we passed each other somewhere, as I'm preparing for a trip to the high peaks I've been hiking some part of the FLT almost daily.
Hikingandwildex, Where is the ski lift? I've never seen it. Loved including the Bob Cameron Loop in a ski tourathon I did on Connecticut Hill last winter.
Ductape, How did you navigate the beaver flooding near Rt. 79 at the Tompkins/Tioga line? A friend wants to put a boat on a rope there like he saw on the Rio Grande at Big Bend for people to get back and forth between the US and Mexico.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
Ductape, How did you navigate the beaver flooding near Rt. 79 at the Tompkins/Tioga line? A friend wants to put a boat on a rope there like he saw on the Rio Grande at Big Bend for people to get back and forth between the US and Mexico.
We used the old route which went up the dirt rd directly across from the parking area to firetower rd then to blackman hill rd. (we were westbound). We could have cut in off the dirt rd through the forest as it was relatively open hardwoods, but we did not want to trespass. The old dirt rd and firetower rd (until it turned South) were pleasant enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (26.8 KB, 91 views)

Old 08-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
awesome photos. I just got back from a 6 day hike on the FLT. Maps 18-15.
Nice! Hope you had a good time on your six-day adventure!

Quote:
Hikingandwildex, Where is the ski lift?
That's Greek Peak near Virgil Mountain in the M19 section of the FLT. The ski resort is visible from the trail and involves walking a short distance off-trail through high grass. I made sure to do a quick "tick check" as soon as I got back on the trail.

The Bob Cameron Loop and FLT around Connecticut Hill would probably be better in the wintertime as a ski/snowshoe outing. Last weekend, I found it to be a mundane walk through the woods and the mosquitoes were the worst I've encountered in at least five years!
Old 08-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #6
Banjoe

Never been to Greek Peak but have hiked and cross country skied in the state lands around it.
If you're nostalgic for waterfalls, here are pictures from my walk around town this morning (aprox 12 miles, 2000' total gain).

Ductape,
The Finger Lakes Land Trust has opened a new preserve this summer that borders Fire Tower Rd and Blackman Hill. The FLT has been slightly rerouted to pass through it to get off a lumber company property. We are looking forward to skiing it this winter as there are numerous trails that were established by the donor. Where the FLT passes through the field offers what many are calling the finest view on the trail in our area (of course that's subjective), one can see to PA to the south and across the three counties to the east and west. I've only been on it once so far and don't have any photos.IMG_20200802_064320795.jpg

IMG_20200802_065015232.jpg

IMG_20200802_072456205.jpg

IMG_20200802_072824767.jpg

IMG_20200802_072918118.jpg

IMG_20200802_073042005.jpg

IMG_20200802_082622346.jpg

IMG_20200802_083411425_HDR.jpg
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Never been to Greek Peak but have hiked and cross country skied in the state lands around it.
If you're nostalgic for waterfalls, here are pictures from my walk around town this morning (aprox 12 miles, 2000' total gain).
Can't ever get enough waterfalls... thanks for sharing!

Is that Robert H. Treman State Park in that second pic? Those stairs look very familiar. I'd like to say Treman, but am not 100% certain since it has been about 10 years since I've been there and couldn't find anything in an image search. Lucifer Falls was my favorite waterfall in that park. It seemed to go on forever!
Old 08-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Banjoe, I did the newer route either last year or year before when that creek wasn't flooded. I don't remember much as so much of the FLT is starting to blend together.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Banjoe

I can't see the pictures I post, but I stayed with the three gorges in town today so you must be seeing the stairs in Cascadilla Gorge.
Hiking to Buttermilk, Lick Brook and Treman sometime this week or next and will post pics.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
Banjoe

Made it out to do my High Peaks Tune-up Hike: 18 miles through Buttermilk State Park, Lick Brook Preserve and Treman State Park. There wasn't much water in the creeks, the preserve is often dry this time of year but after an inch of rain a couple days ago it had a trickle. I was too early for a jump off the diving board at Treman, and by the time I returned to Buttermilk the hordes had arrived and I just wanted to get out of there.
The total elevation change yesterday should be about equivalent to descending Haystack to Panther Gorge and then up Skylight and Gray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM.JPG (112.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg LB.JPG (108.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Lucifer.JPG (119.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TremanRim.JPG (128.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg TremanSwim.JPG (136.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #11
hikingandwildex

Nice photos Banjoe! The water flow looks comparable to when I last visited Treman a little over ten years ago in early-September. Am hoping to return next year, ideally after the spring snowmelt. Some other waterfalls that I'd like to see for the first time when I'm out that way: Deckertown Falls, Twin Falls, Triphammer Falls, Van Natta Falls, and the waterfalls in Fillmore Glen State Park (hopefully the Gorge Trail will have reopened by then).

18 miles in a single day is a good workout, with enough ups and downs on those trails to get you decently prepped for the mountains. Panther Gorge looks incredible in the photos I've seen. I've been wanting to hike to Skylight and Gray via Elk Lake, but this doesn't seem like an optimal time with Clear Pond Gate still being closed and multiple bridges on the Elk Lake-Marcy trail being washed out per the DEC's website. Maybe I could try your itinerary and go up Haystack first -- will have to get myself back in pre-covid shape first, though, since doing Haystack, Skylight and Gray is bound to be a long day any way you slice it!
Old 09-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
Banjoe

Thought I'd share an update on this section of the FLT, found at the Tompkins/Tioga County line on Rt. 79. After unsuccessful efforts to trap the beaver, a crew was assembled to breach the dam in several places and drain the pond. The bridge that was partially submerged and the boardwalks that have been under water for quite some time re-emerged within an hour. They were as slippery as any ice I've been on so grass was laid on top for tread.
This eliminates a road walk of several miles, some on a state highway, and allows one to pass through some beautiful forest and open fields.
1.JPEG

2.JPEG

4.jpg

Of course, beaver being who and what they are, have already started repairs and had raised the water level in the pond 6'' in three days. We're going to try to continue revisiting it every few days until winter. It would be nice if trapping were tried again and met with more success, but it's Cornell's land so they make that call and they clearly have more pressing concerns at the moment.
3.jpg