Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
montcalm
Mobster

Natives of the Adirondacks

https://youtu.be/ZGsBeLPYZjQ

Ongoing research into how indigenous people used the Adirondacks, and how long ago they were here from PSC.

There was an extensive video course lecture series about North American indigenous civilizations on Prime last month which didn't necessarily cover this, but touched on some points that are probably worth considering.

The PSC videos speculates as long as 8000 years ago. And that is probably true. Hunter-gatherer societies were much more widespread and nomadic. The lecture series talks a lot about the transition to a sedentary, and agrarian society and this took a long time to migrate to the north east. I'd guess those cultures probably would have moved off of the Adirondack dome for better soils, but still used it for hunting and gathering. There's another video that I should find and link that talks about how natives may have managed the northern forest for higher game and nut production by using fire prior to the reliance on corn.

Last edited by montcalm; 03-05-2021 at 03:56 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

Thanks for sharing that. A few years ago there was a wonderful article in "Adirondack Life" regarding Native American artifacts found throughout the Adirondacks. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the article but I remember it mentioning a clay pot found around Long Lake and other signs of habitation that were one believed to be impossible as the region was not a place where people lived; only hunted and fished on a seasonal basis as the story went.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Snapper - it still very may well have been that the Adirondacks were seasonal.

A LOT of other tribes that were hunter/gathers had both summer and winter camps, which they would rotate to depending on the season. If there were resources they needed in that season, and they could keep warm, it was probably on their migration route.

The pot is generally a sign of a sedentary culture, but it's not proof of any kind of year-round settlement. It probably just means it's from a later Iroquois or Algonquin tribe, and could have easily been brought there for something like gathering tree nuts in that season. Even the late Iroquois weren't fully sedentary and still had to do hunting and gathering to get enough calories to survive and increase their population.

Corn pollen found in the lakes would provide some proof that there were late-sedentary/agrarian cultures in the Adirondacks. I highly doubt they will find much - the difficulty of farming in the Adirondacks and abundance of land off the dome with better soil would make much more sense for these people, imo. My guess is if there were individuals, or small villages on the dome year round, they would probably just trade for corn. Furs, venison, fish, etc... which were perhaps in higher abundance in their area. All that will be rather hard to prove though as those villages would look not much different than a seasonal outpost.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Thanks for sharing that. A few years ago there was a wonderful article in "Adirondack Life" regarding Native American artifacts found throughout the Adirondacks. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the article but I remember it mentioning a clay pot found around Long Lake and other signs of habitation that were one believed to be impossible as the region was not a place where people lived; only hunted and fished on a seasonal basis as the story went.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
My BSA guide training crew found clay pot shards in cliff breakdown caves round Lows Lake while exploring the area around about 1992. An archeological team from the NY state museum came to investigate and determined from the designs on them that they were from the Iroquois era. Those pieces are now protected in the NYS museum.

When I was in 7th grade in Lowville, the social studies teacher, Arthur Einhorn, was crazy nuts over native NY Indian culture. The class spent most of that year studying what he knew and little else.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
Northcountryman

Yes, somebody posted about this before I believe, and mentioned that most likely, the Adirondacks were primarily used as hunting/fishing grounds by the Iroquois and were not permanently settled --for the most part, at least. My feeling is that the soil and climate would be too difficult for long term settlements; however, short-term hunting and fishing camps would be more than feasible .