Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
mossarden

Flying Squirrels

You know, I've lived in the ADK's all my life and I have never seen a flying squirrel. In fact, I don't hear much about them lately. Are they around these parts?
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
bridgeman

When it was common practice to hang bear bags, flying squirrels wreaked more havoc on your food stash than bears. had this happen in several places where there was a fixed cable.

I just bought a stainless mesh bag for a Northville trail hike next month.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
geogymn

Yes they are around! I've have seen some in gliding action before, during the day, which is rare as they are nocturnal. What a thrill! My good friend and I, both avid outdoorsmen, stood with our jaws dropped at the display.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

Flying squirrels are the cutest darn things!
As geo said, they're nocturnal.
The best place to see them is at your bird feeder at night.
Their eyes glow bright red in a flashlight.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
rickhart

We got one in our house last year (realized it because the cats had it cornered under a large chair). It was like a Marx brothers scene. Us chasing it around (after sequestering the cats), it kept climbing up curtains and then when we got closer, launching itself out & gliding across the room. We finally managed to herd it out the open side door. It was so hysterical by then that it kept crashing into the garage wall as it rushed away.

I've never seen one outside either. They often nest in old woodpecker holes, and I've heard that if you knock on the tree sometimes they look out; but I've tried that quite a few times and nothing happened. I'm not up to trying that many trees.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #6
dmartenvt

Oddly I came on here tonight to ask if anyone had ever seen black squirrels around here. I saw one today. He wasn't flying though! I've never seen a flying squirrel and didn't know they existed up here.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
jaymann

We had one in our apartment years ago; it got in behind the entertainment center where there was a cluster of wires, making it a bit difficult to catch. I was finally able to grab it (with gloves) and let it go back outside.
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
mossarden

"Oddly I came on here tonight to ask if anyone had ever seen black squirrels around here."

dmartenvt, I just saw a beautiful black squirrel a couple weeks ago in the town of Lake George. Warrensburg has a population of them as well.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartenvt View Post
Oddly I came on here tonight to ask if anyone had ever seen black squirrels around here. I saw one today. He wasn't flying though! I've never seen a flying squirrel and didn't know they existed up here.
Black Squirrels are a color variation of the Grey.
Fairly common.
Flying Squirrels are mainly nocturnal.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Traditional Archer

I've only seen one flying squirrel in all my time in the woods. When I was around 16 years old, I saw one along the Ayers Lake Stream behind my Grandfather's house, a mile or so East of Stratford. It came sailing out of a dead snag. They're cool little critters.
Traditional Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
adkworld

flying squirrels

I had them in my attic about 3 years ago and trapped and released a few. They are back again and I trapped/released one a few days ago. I'm in the Adk foothills about 10 miles north of Saratoga Springs. Cool little critters, but messy when they reside in your house.
adkworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
desmobob
Old, tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkworld View Post
I had them in my attic about 3 years ago and trapped and released a few. They are back again and I trapped/released one a few days ago. I'm in the Adk foothills about 10 miles north of Saratoga Springs. Cool little critters, but messy when they reside in your house.
I had them in my attic, too. I didn't have much luck live-trapping them and finally kept them out with a strobe light in the attic on a timer. Cute little buggers, but noisy at night, rolling nuts around under the insulation right over my bedroom ceiling!

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #13
bethfit

We opened the damper in the fireplace and one fell out! It's quite the show when he's in your living room! Even then though, while the table lamps were falling we were still thinking he is adorable!!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
I had them in my attic, too. I didn't have much luck live-trapping them and finally kept them out with a strobe light in the attic on a timer. Cute little buggers, but noisy at night, rolling nuts around under the insulation right over my bedroom ceiling!

Take it easy,
Bob
That's ingenious! They are pesky little things when they decide your house is their home. My neighbor has had a 10 year running battle with them. I'm going to mention the strobe light idea.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
desmobob
Old, tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
That's ingenious! They are pesky little things when they decide your house is their home. My neighbor has had a 10 year running battle with them. I'm going to mention the strobe light idea.
I had a long-running problem with them as well, and the strobe was the only thing that worked. Problem is, cheap ones ("party store" type) aren't intended for long, continuous duty. But a couple of cheap ones are still cheaper than a good one....

I can't take credit for the idea. I found it in my web research when I couldn't seem to get rid of the little buggers and was looking on-line for a solution.

Take it easy,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #16
Carl Werner

Yup, never seen on either. Good to know others have. Have seen one, up in a Linden Tree in Philadelphia.
Carl Werner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flying squirrels, wildlife