Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
ADKJoe

Autumn Adirondack Afternoon

Back in late October a friend and I did a day adventure to Russian Lake in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness. Here is a short video I put together from our adventure.

https://youtu.be/vujkVNkvGO4
Old 02-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Nice video. Russian lake is on my "to do" list for this year, as is Upper Gull Lake- plus maybe a trip to Andy's Creek (or as the sign calls it, "Andes Creek"). Would be nice if I can get 3 consecutive nights to camp in all 3 spots in a single trip.

I visited Lower Sister Lake with a friend for a 1 night trip back in 2013. Definitely a neat area. I think the combination of having to paddle (or at the least, take a boat) and then hike several miles to camp keeps the use level for Lower Sister Lake pretty low. Not sure about the other lean-tos as they are shorter hikes- so maybe they get a little bit more use.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #3
ADKJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Nice video. Russian lake is on my "to do" list for this year, as is Upper Gull Lake- plus maybe a trip to Andy's Creek (or as the sign calls it, "Andes Creek"). Would be nice if I can get 3 consecutive nights to camp in all 3 spots in a single trip.

I visited Lower Sister Lake with a friend for a 1 night trip back in 2013. Definitely a neat area. I think the combination of having to paddle (or at the least, take a boat) and then hike several miles to camp keeps the use level for Lower Sister Lake pretty low. Not sure about the other lean-tos as they are shorter hikes- so maybe they get a little bit more use.
I've done Andy's Creek also but not the Gull Lakes which I hope to hit this year as well. Also been thinking of the Sisters also. I totally agree the more you need to travel to get there the less people.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

We did Gull lakes years ago an then up Andy's creek to Terror lake,
here is a tread pondhopper did on it
https://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4437
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
ADKJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
We did Gull lakes years ago an then up Andy's creek to Terror lake,
here is a tread pondhopper did on it
https://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4437
Thank you for sharing, I'll check it out.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Upper Gull is a neat spot. The water is creepy though. Looks totally devoid of all life. The old trail from lower gull to upper makes it less of carry as you can paddle around lower. Cannot hike the old trail as it is underwater now, but it makes for a good portage trail from lower to upper.

Cool video!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

Upper Gull is not completely dead. There's at least one beaver out there, I'm sure of that.

The lake may in fact be completely dead due to acidification.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:22 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Upper Gull is not completely dead. There's at least one beaver out there, I'm sure of that.

The lake may in fact be completely dead due to acidification.
How long ago was it that you and I were there?

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

5 years? Been a while.

Not a bad spot. That steep hill out of lower Gull is a pita but other than that not bad.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I visited Lower Sister once, and there was a large group at the lean-to. I couldn't find a place to put up my 1 person tent anywhere along that trail near the lake area, the ground was completely covered with very small evergreens, I forget what kind, about 2" in diameter and one per square yard. Not the kind of woods you could get through easily, other than on the path. It's a nice destination, but if the lean-to is full you might have to backtrack a ways to find a spot, as I recall
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I visited Lower Sister once, and there was a large group at the lean-to. I couldn't find a place to put up my 1 person tent anywhere along that trail near the lake area, the ground was completely covered with very small evergreens, I forget what kind, about 2" in diameter and one per square yard. Not the kind of woods you could get through easily, other than on the path. It's a nice destination, but if the lean-to is full you might have to backtrack a ways to find a spot, as I recall
Yeah, I remember noticing that the forest was absolutely dense with undergrowth. I also had the same observation: that if you trekked all the way out there only to find that the lean-to was already occupied, you'd be SOL with regards to finding your own spot. A good destination to keep some extra energy in reserve if you're planning to camp there, just in case.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #12
ADKJoe

Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Upper Gull is a neat spot. The water is creepy though. Looks totally devoid of all life. The old trail from lower gull to upper makes it less of carry as you can paddle around lower. Cannot hike the old trail as it is underwater now, but it makes for a good portage trail from lower to upper.

Cool video!
I'd love to explore that area and hope to this year. So many places, so little time.. Glad you liked the video, thank you for watching.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The water is creepy though. Looks totally devoid of all life.
http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org...20LAKE%20NORTH

That water is EXTREMELY acidic. It's also really shallow.

Tags
canoe carry, canoeing, hemlock canoe, hornbeck, lean to