Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #1
ndoggac

Download All USGS Topo Data for ADK Park Here, plus others

I had some time while isolated at home, so I figured I'd give a gift to everyone on the site....some packaged map files I made from USGS source data. The maps are in Mapbox MBTILEs format, which can be loaded into apps on Android (LocusMaps & OruxMaps) and Apple (Maps Plus by Miocool) devices and used as underlying imagery with your GPS position and any other data loaded on top. They can also be loaded on a desktop in QGIS3, GlobalMapper, MBTILE viewer, etc. They can also be utilized as a source in MOBAC to create smaller atlases focused on specific areas, for many various devices.

The first file is 54MB and contains a (no topo contours) USGS 100K map from 1985 for the entire park, and also includes the blue-line boundary of the park.
(DOWNLOAD HERE)

The data for the above map was found here. Click on anywhere in the park, set the date range at right to 1984-1986 and you will find the source imagery I used. The blue line boundary data was sourced from the Adirondack Park Agency's KML file.

The second file is just under 1GB, and contains all USGS Topo map imagery for the park. The USGS maps are the circa 1950s/60s version. Zoom levels 9-11 are political county maps, level 12 is the same 100K map layer as the above map (no topo contours), 13 is the 100K topo imagery, and zoom levels 14-15 are the 24k (or 62.5k?) topo imagery. I did not incorporate the blue line boundary into this file.
(DOWNLOAD HERE)

The third file is 2GB, and contains all 1901 historical USGS topo imagery for the entire park. The data was sourced from here.
(DOWNLOAD HERE)

I hope you find the maps useful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers, and happy belated Easter!!! Hope everyone is staying safe!

Last edited by ndoggac; 04-21-2020 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
ndoggac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
ndoggac

Some examples of the 100K (no contours) map, scaled down in size by 50% to upload to the site. Zoom levels 9 and 13.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example1.jpg (109.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Example2.jpg (109.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:54 AM   #3
ndoggac

Example of the 24k topo imagery from the 1GB file. Again, scaled down by 50% to upload to the site. This resolution is available in the file for the entire park. Zoom level 15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example3.jpg (147.0 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by ndoggac; 04-21-2020 at 01:21 AM..
Old 04-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
MTVhike

I am impressed by the quality of the Whiteface Mountain map you showed yesterday, so I downloaded the 1 GB file, with apparently no problems. Except that I realized that I have nothing to read it with on my Windows computer. Which of the several programs mentioned in your first post do you recommend? I have no need for a mobile download.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:56 AM   #5
ndoggac

Probably MOBAC, this would allow you to not only view the map, but utilize the MBTILE file as a source to create atlases in additional formats for other devices.

On the resultant page, scroll down and click the green button to download. Unzip the contents of that file to a folder called MOBAC. Put the downloaded MBTILE file into the same MOBAC directory. In the "mapsources" directory, place the xml file found here.

Then go back up a directory and start the program by clicking "Mobile Atlas Creator.exe". In the upper left menu, select the "ADK_USGS_TOPO" entry to view the map. There are MOBAC guides online to help you create your first atlas using this as a source, and many youtube videos. There are other map imagery sources included by default in MOBAC, and you can check their forums for more examples.

Alternatively, you can use QGSI3. But the learning curve may be a bit higher.

Last edited by ndoggac; 04-21-2020 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
ndoggac

In case the XML link ever dies, here's the contents of the XML file to utilize an MBTILE as a source in MOBAC (the xml filename does not matter). You can reuse this example for the other MBTile downloads, you just need to change the <name> value, which must be unique. Then change the <sourceFile> value and possibly the <tileImageType> value depending on the source file. For instance, I believe the historical topo is PNG format, not JPG. You can omit the <tileImageType> value and it will still work, but sometimes you will run into issues if you try to combine layers from multiple MBTILE sources into a new atlas and this value is not explicitly defined.

Code:
<localTileSQLite>

<name>ADK_USGS_Topo</name>

<sourceFile>ADK_USGS_TOPO.mbtiles</sourceFile>

<atlasType>MBTiles</atlasType>

<backgroundColor>#000000</backgroundColor>

<tileImageType>JPG</tileImageType>

</localTileSQLite>
You can use MOBAC to create a smaller MBTILE file for a specific area. My favorite is the OZIExplorer atlas. It's one giant PNG file. I've created a single PNG image large enough to print a billboard map. You can also create Google Earth KMZ files, and many others.

If you want to organize your source MBTILE files, you can dump them into an organized subdirectory. Something like MBTILE_SOURCES/USA/NY/ADK_USGS_TOPO.mbtiles. You would just have to edit the <sourceFile> entry appropriately.

Last edited by ndoggac; 04-21-2020 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
MTVhike

I seem to have gotten a little ahead of myself; before I got your last to posts, I downloaded and unzipped Mobile Atlas Creator. This process created a folder in Program Files called MapTiler Desktop, with a link on the desktop with that name. When I try to run it, it seems that it want to create a *.mbtiles file, not read one. When I run it and try to load the ADK_USGS_TOPO.mbtiles, it doesn't recognize it. Should I rename this folder MOBAC and move the other files you mention into that folder?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
ndoggac

Not sure where the map tiler desktop app came from, that's a completely separate app and not part of MOBAC. Start over and follow my directions above.